Thread: 6910 pucks no longer coming away cleanly

Ali

6910 pucks no longer coming away cleanly

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a 6910 and usually use it each day with the single basket to make a coffee or two. Ive noticed that when I knock out the puck, it no longer comes away cleanly. It often has coffee left on the top bit (before it narrows) and there seems to be a lot more grinds sticking to the basket.

I dont know how long its been happening but now Ive noticed its annoying me. I regularly try different beans and I bought a new grinder a couple of months go (Ascaso i-home).

Any ideas?

Re: 6910 pucks no longer coming away cleanly

Have you started overdosing? It almost sounds like you dont get the right extraction because there is too much coffee in the basket.

Hi Ali,

What tamper do you use? I get this sometimes when using the SB tamper, as it does not fill the whole basket. The coffee around the rim that does not get tamped properly ends up working its way up to the top of the basked and does not come out cleanly with the puck.

Cheers,
    Ben.

Ali

Thanks for your replies.

peteru - its more likely that Im underdosing now rather than overdosing as Im getting finer grinds with the i-home. Maybe Im grinding too finely.

kinggee - I usually use a pullman tamper and its fit is pretty good, but Ill use the sb one and see if the result is the same.

give your PF a proper clean. (if your only rinsing it each coffee).

Mine was doing the same until I gave it a good wash. I wash it weekly and have two coffees a day from the machine on average. (i rinse it clean between washes.)

A_M

Agree fully CLEAN PF..

Note: I have been using the SB tabs for my back flush for the last 2 years etc...

Tried some caffetto to day... ;)

Outcome: I am no longer going to use the SB tabs... The caffetto worked wonders and I am sure it is cleaner all round...

Quote Originally Posted by 7F50595B4C735F505F595B535B504A3E0 link=1231714718/5#5 date=1232682145
    Agree fully CLEAN PF..

Note: I have been using the SB tabs for my back flush for the last 2 years etc...

Tried some caffetto to day... *;)

Outcome: *I am no longer going to use the SB tabs... *The caffetto worked wonders and I am sure it is cleaner all round...
    So is the caffetto in tablet form? Is it the same process??

Cheers,
    Ben.

A_M

Same process but the Cafetto is a powder...

For the price I am thinking I will get more out of the Cafetto and do the same if not better...

Quote Originally Posted by 143B32302718343B34323038303B21550 link=1231714718/7#7 date=1232782167
    Same process but the Cafetto is a powder...

For the price I am thinking I will get more out of the Cafetto and do the same if not better...
    Sounds like a winner to me! :D

Im off to buy Cafetto! how often are you going to use it?

When i dropped into Di Bartoli the other week I was recommended that I clean my machine every 1kg of bean.. so thats approx monthly for me I think. She didnt mention if that was a water backflush, or with tabs/powder. hrmmm. :)

A_M

FIX has posted a few times as to his recommendations as to cleaning...

And as a reasonable heavy user of the EM6910 I have to support his views... However every case is different due to the different way we use the equipment and the beans / number of shots we might run in a day..... Or how anal you are :D

A: At the end of the day I try to remember to toss in the SB rubber blind and run a manual Shot or two.... If I have had a heavy day of use, I may even actually run the back flush program... but no cafetto.

B: About every two - three weeks I then remove teh shower screen... Manually clean and then do a back flush with cafetto.

Previously I would do the chemical clean it about every eight to ten weeks due to teh cost... But now my program has changed for obvious reasons...

I may yet go back to 8 to 10 weeks or longer if I find that the cafetto is keeping the oils down... I am lazy but well aware that poor maintenance will mean big problems later... I am also aware that over servicing can also cause problems...