Thread: film coverings on new Silvia?

film coverings on new Silvia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My new Silvia arrived safely today and Ive made my first cup of coffee -- delicious, with subtle chocolatey tastes -- pulled the shot exactly 50 seconds after the boiler heating button went off, so temperature would have been optimal. And the steam was much better than on either my old ECM Botticelli which I sold a couple of years ago, and much better too than on my Sunbeam 6910, which I sold last week -- for the first time, I had solid froth to pour instead of having to spoon it!

Just two questions -- is it correct that the top has what seems to be a plasic film on it -- along the top-edge I can read the words laser-film. Is this removable? I dont want to try without advice since the film runs beneath the screws which hold on the top plate.

And secondly, the cover over the drip-tray also seems to have some sort of thin film on it -- either that, or a very thin coat of white epoxy-resin or paint. I dont want to play with that either until someone can confirm what it is. That drip-tray cover perhaps has to be removed as there are already small spots along and inside the ends of the left-hand grooves, which are a little bit unsightly close-up now, and may grow to be very unsightly later on. Are stainless steel covers without epoxy covering available?

Re: film coverings on new Silvia?

Peel that stuff off mate, its just the protection film so it gets to you shiny :)

Hi, Anthony,

Undo the screws to remove the top panel before you try to take the film off, its much easier. I tried to do it insitu, and the plastic stayed around the screws. A strongish fingernail is all that is neded to lift the thin strip on the underside of the drip tray.

Have fun

Caryn :)

Quote Originally Posted by 7E75777C737E6D747A1F0 link=1231905100/0#0 date=1231905100
    pulled the shot exactly 50 seconds after the boiler heating button went off, so temperature would have been optimal.
    Umm.. possibly, but unlikely.

I have a thermocouple and digital thermometer attached to the top of the boiler in my Silvia and 50 seconds after the thermostat switches off can give temps anywhere between about 114 - 120 C depending on the ambient room temp, how long the machine has been switched on for, and various other factors.

Time based temp surfing can be wildly inaccurate

Congrats on the new machine *:)

Thanks all ... itll be a while before I can afford to go down the PID route, so temp surfing will have to do for a time.
    The protective film is off and Silvia looks splendid. The film is applied so carefully that I think I can be forgiven for thinking it might have been an intentional protective coating. I bet there are quite a few units out there still boasting their white protective covers!

The protective plastic film is normally applied to the stainless steel sheet by the stainless steel sheet manufacturer, before its supplied to Rancilio and they do any cutting, bending etc to produce the final bits for Silvia.
    Thats why it is such a good fit.
    Enjoy your Silvia, shes a great gal.

Cheers,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by 3E2B30342A3B20590 link=1231905100/5#5 date=1231926602
    The protective plastic film is normally applied to the stainless steel sheet by the stainless steel sheet manufacturer, before its supplied to Rancilio and they do any cutting, bending etc to produce the final bits for Silvia.
    Thats why it is such a good fit.
    Absolutely correct. *All of the raw SS sheets we receive have this film. *It is really remarkable stuff -- very durable and heat resistant, yet peels off without leaving a trace.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 63686A616E63706967020 link=1231905100/0#0 date=1231905100
    My new Silvia arrived safely today and Ive made my first cup of coffee -- delicious, with subtle chocolatey tastes -- pulled the shot exactly 50 seconds after the boiler heating button went off, so temperature would have been optimal.
    Congratulations on the new machine, Anthony. *You might like to play round with the temp surfing as you go along - the general best temp does vary from machine to machine, or person to person, or even environment to environment, I havent even mentioned from bean to bean. For my machine I used 40 seconds, 45 for something like an Ethiopan bean, before I put the PID on. *Also, reverse temp surfing is more accurate - instead of timing from when the light goes on, you time from when it goes off again. *This takes longer - around 2 minutes 20seconds from memory, though you would need to work out the best time for your machine. *You can play around with thermometers to measure the brew temperature, or you can work out what tastes best to you, which is, after all, the most important thing.

A good trick that I got from Hazchem, on this forum, is to dose the PF, hit the brew switch without locking the PF in and watch the water - if its running in three streams then the temperature is in the ball park. *Switch it off again, lock the PF in and pull your shot. I tended to do this when I was on the move, and saved the temp surfing for when I could sit back and enjoy the coffee.