Thread: Silvia prob - to much pressure/volume of espresso?

Silvia prob - to much pressure/volume of espresso?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All
    Ive got a prob with my Silvia (actually my Dads, Ive upgraded to a VBM and hes got my old silvia). *When I pull a shot instead of a nice steady flow of rich espresso the Silvia is pumping out so much volume the it flows over the side of the spouts and leaks out around the portafilter gasket no matter how firmly I tighten it up. *Instead of a 25-30 sec pour as it used to do Im getting it all over and done with in 10secs with a fair mess left behind. *The grind setting is not the problem (Ive tested it in conjunction with the VBM), Ive got it dialed in pretty close to what it needs to be for a good espresso, if I make the grind courser to attempt to stem the volume of espresso from leaking out the seal and over the side of the spouts then the result is terible, weak and watery with no creama and still takes only 10 secs. Could this be a problem with the OPV not functioning as intended? If so are they easy to service or should I just order a replacement?

Ive had to change the element in the silvia recently as I burnt the old one out as a result of the kids pressing the steam button and leaving it on for 12 hrs. *Im wondering if the OPV is not functioning as it should, maybe some debrit has accidently blocked it in the element change over?

My father-in-law also has a Silvia and he likes to grind it very fine and more or less just gets a very concentrated thin dribble of black gold, so where does the excess water go in this case - what controls the flow and stops all the water from being forced out through the portafilter? the OPV???

Cheers
    Kev

Re: Silvia prob - to much pressure/volume of espresso?

When was the last time it was seviced? Sounds like the group head seal has gone keput.

Grant

Never been serviced.... but I have changed the rubber gasket the in the group head.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by 4E607347050 link=1231993714/2#2 date=1232084674
    Never been serviced.... but I have changed the rubber gasket the in the group head.

Kev
    How long ago? *Is this when the problem started? *The first time I changed the seal in mine I didnt get it quite in place and had similar problems to yours. *A bit more fiddling got it positioned correctly, but perhaps damaged the seal a little - a few months later I heard a small popping sound, the same problems immediately started again. *When I pulled the seal off, a large chunk had come loose. *Luckily theyre cheap and I had a couple of spares.

Doesnt really sound like the OPV - mine failed last year (hey, I give my Silvia a serious workout every day!) and the machine was running at very high pressure. *The main thing I noticed was very bitter coffee - the pour still looked pretty good.

Id be looking at the group seal. :)

sdg

Just curious -- what are the symptoms of a failed OPV? (other than bitter coffee, that is *:) )

Thanks Viviane, I have a feeling that the problem started before I changed the group head seal. Ive got a spare so Ill try changing it out and see if that fixes it.

Kev