Thread: Mokita Combi Revamp

Mokita Combi Revamp

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello fellow snobbs, I just recently dug up my old Imat Mokita Combi (manufacture in 2003) from storage. Upon giving it a wipedown and putting some beans in the hopper, priming the pump and started to brew, I found that the grouphead was leaking when I was brewing, I have subsequently dismantled the grouphead and found that the rubber seal is qute perished. Attempted to get the showerscreen nut off, but it was stuck. It was slightly bigger than a 13mm and smaller than a 14mm. I had a closer inspection of the machine and found that all the s/s panels were riveted. I would really like to "overhaul" this machine as I remember it to be a semi decent machine. I was just wondering if any of you would know:
    1: where I can get an exploded diagram of various parts of the machine
    2: do I have to drill out the rivets to get to the boiler, etc..
    3: where can I source parts for this machine especially the seals, etc..
    4: are there any snags to dismantling it and what parts usually need replacement
    5: any of you come across a stuck bolt and how to free it????

I hope some of you experts out there can shine a light on this subject

Thanks in advance

Re: Mokita Combi Revamp

I think Greg Pullman used to own one of these.
    He may come along soon with some answers.

Id guess that the spanner or socket you may need is Imperial as your Metric ones dont fit.
    Id guess you need a 5/16 BSF.

Hi Aristocrat88,

TG is correct, I had one of these for about four years.

1: where I can get an exploded diagram of various parts of the machine
    dont know sorry but you dont need it for routine maintenance

2: do I have to drill out the rivets to get to the boiler, etc..
    Not unless you want to pull all the side panels off, which you dont need to. Remove the screw behind the hopper and the one in the front panel of the water tank reservoir and the top panel lifts straight out. You can access everything you need to from there.

3: where can I source parts for this machine especially the seals, etc..
    Lygon Imports are the importer. You can try to get some from there but you may have trouble with communications. Group gaskets are the main thing that go (same for any espresso machine), Ive only ever heard of one non-sponsor supplier that has them but (no free plug here) do sell the Nemox range so they might have parts too.

4: are there any snags to dismantling it and what parts usually need replacement
    As above. Sometime steam valve seals go but theyre rare.

5: any of you come across a stuck bolt and how to free it????
    Remove power and tank from the machine, invert the machine and stand it on its top (dont crush the water hoses) so the group is looking up at you. Then get a short centre punch and tap it with a hammer so you knock a dent in the right hand side of the bolt about a millimetre or so from the edge of the bolt (about 4 oclock). Once youve got a good size dent in the bolt, slowly angle the punch down so some of the force is in a rotational anticlockwise direction. Dont do this part too quickly or the punch will slip out of the hole. The bolt should come undone without too much difficulty.

You may like to check out here for various bits of info about the machine and how to look after / maintain it. There are also some tips down the bottom half of this page which relate to this machine specifically (including how to open the thing up!).

By the way you dont need to remove the showerscreen to replace the group gasket (the first link in the above paragraph has an article on how to do this) but if the showerscreens never been removed it will need a good clean so youll need to get it off anyway.

Hope this helps,
    Greg

Pretty sure Site Sponsor "(no free plug here)" could get what ever you need aristocrat88.....

Mal.

Hi TG, Greg and Mal. Thanks for all your help. Will be flying to Canberra over the long weekend and will tackle this job once I return to Hobart on Wednesday. Thanks again for all the pointers. Cheers.

The repair guide HERE for the Lelit PL042 also covers the Imat.
    EDIT Whoops link already posted by GP ::)

pip

Hi Aristocrat88,
    * * * * * * * * * * *Ive just *replaced the PF gasket and cleaned the showerscreen on mine (built 2005); and the showerscreen bolt is a swine to remove. A gentle tap to the face of the brass bolt while holding the back of the boiler (still bolted in but with the "locking ring" removed ) and the whole unit sitting on its back on lots of towels .The modified 8mm socket is essential to remove the locking ring (portafilter locking *ring ? what do you call that chunk of chrome plated brass bolted to the bottom of the boiler ??). Send me a PM if you have any problems.
    -pip.

Lelit/Imat/Mokita Combi, leaking boiler

I have purchased a second hand unit wich is about 4 years old, its been in storage for the last year.

I have had it for 1 month & have backflused it, replaced the pump & group seal.

Now the boiler is leaking at the point where it meets the group head, i have done some googling but come up short with info regarding replacing the gasket (if there is one) or resealing with some type of hi pressure gasket compound.

Has anyone here had this issue?

I also have the leaking steam valve issue, any ideas on a fix here? i was thinking maybe a silvia wand/valve setup but this along with the other repairs will run me up to near the price of a new machine :( will i be able to get this to work without too much effort?

TC

Hello Dave,

I have deleted your cross post and spliced your thread into the existing pretty much identical thread. I have also sent details of the importer who may be able to supply you with parts.

The leaking valve is a pretty much universal Nemox/Mokita/Lelit problem and as its a needle valve, the only real fix is replacement. In addition, dont overload the group handle as group damage is not uncommon for updosers.

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 7C6D70667B70756271140 link=1232625319/7#7 date=1287523912
    Now the boiler is leaking at the point where it meets the group head, i have done some googling but come up short with info regarding replacing the gasket (if there is one) or resealing with some type of hi pressure gasket compound.
    Could be down to corroded fixing bolts - quite common as theyre made from mild steel. Could also be caused by a build-up of Scale working its way between the two sections.

When I discovered the mild steel bolts on my unit, I replaced them all with high quality stainless. There is also a silicone rubber O-Ring seal between the components as well and this has most likely given up the ghost too. Quite inexpensive to buy.

Heres a link to a great How-To on Alan Frews website... http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/repair.html
    If you page down to the lower third of the page, youll find a detailed explanation with photos on how to strip one down.

All the best mate.... :)

Mal.

2mcm, thanks for the move, i think from memory i posted a thread & then found this one, sorry 4 the mess up, you guys are pretty neat & tidy around here, its a god thing 4 sure ;)

Mal, your a champion, thanks for the help :D