Thread: When Disaster Strikes - Do Not Panic

When Disaster Strikes - Do Not Panic

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Was going through the normal morning ritual this morning, preparing the wifes and my morning latte when disaster struck.

Coffee granuals started spewing out the back of the PF handle. Managed to tweak the grind a bit and get the first coffees out.

Had just loaded up the mid morning coffee (paperwork day today :() and disaster struck again, coffee granuals etc spweing out the back of the PF. See Exhibit 1

And exhibit 2 for the aftermath

Yet again, NZ small appliance suppliers have come up short, with (according to the repair shop) Sunbeam NZ having no group head seals for the 6910 in the country. WTF!!! I have been told that it will be approx 1 week until the seal will be available (they had another client waiting on a few seals aswell).

Clearly, a week without coffee in the morning is just not going to happen, a bloke has to live.

Fortunately, we still have in our posession the (very old) Melitta Cafe Cappuccino machine from the shop. It doesnt pull as good of a shot as the 6910, but needs must. The shortfall of this little machine is its milk wand, piss poor would be a compliment. So, the solution

Melitta on to do the espresso duties, 6910 on to do the milk duties. A little fiddling about with the grinder (only have 1 double plug so have to swap it out) but an "acceptable" brew was the result.

Will just have to do for a week (or as I might expect, slightly more) until a new group head seal can make its way across the ditch.

Sen

A_M

Re: When Disaster Strikes - Do Not Panic

Quote Originally Posted by 04323936233825570 link=1233268160/0#0 date=1233268160
    Was going through the normal morning ritual this morning, preparing the wifes and my morning latte when disaster struck.

Coffee granuals started spewing out the back of the PF handle. Managed to tweak the grind a bit and get the first coffees out.

Had just loaded up the mid morning coffee (paperwork day today :() and disaster struck again, coffee granuals etc spweing out the back of the PF. See Exhibit 1

And exhibit 2 for the aftermath

Yet again, NZ small appliance suppliers have come up short, with (according to the repair shop) Sunbeam NZ having no group head seals for the 6910 in the country. WTF!!! I have been told that it will be approx 1 week until the seal will be available (they had another client waiting on a few seals aswell).

Clearly, a week without coffee in the morning is just not going to happen, a bloke has to live.

Fortunately, we still have in our posession the (very old) Melitta Cafe Cappuccino machine from the shop. It doesnt pull as good of a shot as the 6910, but needs must. The shortfall of this little machine is its milk wand, piss poor would be a compliment. So, the solution

Melitta on to do the espresso duties, 6910 on to do the milk duties. A little fiddling about with the grinder (only have 1 double plug so have to swap it out) but an "acceptable" brew was the result.

Will just have to do for a week (or as I might expect, slightly more) until a new group head seal can make its way across the ditch.

Sen
    Is it SPLIT or just worn...

If just worn and the seal and or collar has not split... It takes a few min to make a thin spacer... SB often send then out over here...

TG and I have been down the " make it your self " and simple.. At work now... but I did include some instructions some time in the last 2 / 3 weeks.

it appears to be split.

my goodness, what a lot of gunk builds up quickly.

I backflush every few weeks now with cafetto and have removed the shower screen / disbursement screen before xmas and given them a once over and its filthy again. Good excuse for a cafetto soak I suppose....

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 44727976637865170 link=1233268160/2#2 date=1233272031
    it appears to be split.

my goodness, what a lot of gunk builds up quickly.

I backflush every few weeks now with cafetto and have removed the shower screen / disbursement screen before xmas and given them a once over and its filthy again. Good excuse for a cafetto soak I suppose....
    Make ya spacer and you should be able to have coffee again from the EM6910... Ring and ask for one as well.

wowsers

sorry to thread dig this, given its 5 months old, but had a call today from the local sunbeam agent to advise that my seal has finally arrived.

Im pleased I got onto the ph to Sunbeam back in Feb and "complained nicely" to the CS manager who sent me out a seal / spacer within about a week, can you imagine not having a working coffee machine for 4+ months :o

Still, I said I will take it and put it away in a cupboad somewhere so that nxt time it happens, I dont have to panic

Sen

good to see they took there time in helping!! how did you go using the 2 machines for a few months??