Thread: How to change a collar on a SB EM6910

A_M

How to change a collar on a SB EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by 4543515F5A4358360 link=1232674232/4#4 date=1233197841
    Hey AngerManagement, its not relate to this thread, can u please show me how to change the collar (with picture)? That will be much apperciate~~

Tony.
    Well I have not had to do YET 8-)

From what I can see it will be a bit of a fiddle... I know the local guys here have found a way, to short cut some of it.. VS the procedure / manner set out by SB.

However, the one thing I do know, is that you need to ensure you get spare screws as depending on which batch you will STRIP the heads off.

I will try to get a pic or two of the TOP (All exposed) and you may be able to GUESS as to what can be done..

Not sure if it all has to come out... OR it is access to the screws that causes the problem...

PS. What is teh $$ you have been quoted to do the Job and what is the cost of teh collar ?

Re: How to change a collar on a SB EM6910

Thx~~ANgerManagement~~~
    I have downloaded a sunbeam service manual from the other tread. It seems like it is a very easy job. But one thing im not sure about is do i have to pull the steam arm and hot water arm out? Itll be great if i can see what actually inside the machine is like before i open it.

Tony.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 585E4C42475E452B0 link=1233294485/1#1 date=1233295940
    Thx~~ANgerManagement~~~
    I have downloaded a sunbeam service manual from the other tread. It seems like it is a very easy job. But one thing im not sure about is do i have to pull the steam arm and hot water arm out? Itll be great if i can see what actually inside the machine is like before i open it.

Tony.
    Yep... Steam and Hot water to be disconnected and this on top of every thing else...

So that the shroud can be removed...

Thus allowing the Collar to be dropped...

I looked when I had it apart and figured... Ummm Only if I really HAVE TO !!! :-/

Any picture AM? Thx~~

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6660727C79607B150 link=1233294485/3#3 date=1233540228
    Any picture AM? Thx~~
    Had a busy weekend and tried Roasting.. with my newly accursed Roaster..

Well, followed instructions 21 min and may need to extend, pulled at 20 (was not taking care) and got a CS 12+++ Yuck

Tried again a few hrs later and stooped about 3 min short and got about CS 9-10 ..

I found that the rear fan on the HotTop was not working... *Fan removed and tested OK.. *Wiring was checked as best I could.. looks OK.. *Some crap and a small bean did get dislodged... * As the two cooling fans are run in parallel, it is either the fan or the cct to the fan.. *A *third roast tonight shall prove if the fan cct is working or I have doggy wiring......

Oh... Where were we... *No I have not had time to re strip the top down to take pics... *Waiting for some RED ones to arrive for an exchange *(THANKS FL) with a CS member from Perth. * Once they get here I will take more pics... *The mess is clogging my workspace and the wife is less than impressed :-(

Thx for the reply. Much appreciated

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 131507090C150E600 link=1233294485/3#3 date=1233540228
    Any picture AM? Thx~~
    Well... *Still no word from our Perth connection, who was after the top and drip tray...... So removed the top and took a few pics any way...

NOTE: *I have not attempted this, but understand that it does take some time... *Local service agent has a spare for me ($52) as my other unit at work is looking like needing a collar rebuild.

You will need the right *tools and revisit my post on last ditched effort to clean the steam wand... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1232674232/0#0

Here is an over all pic... *;) *Excuse the mess, was working on other items and had to quickly make room... *Yes that is a k series phone.. Surface mount components and OLD men do not mix. *Got 2 fixed and messed up on the third.. *Any one want some spare parts / screen / KB etc...

This one is from the top looking down to give you an idea of all the pipes and connections you will have to undo / loosen etc * :o

Note: I believe there is a way to short cut some of this work.... However untill I have the need, I am not going there *::)

Here is the best I can get, looking down into the area where you have to undo the collar bolts.. *I understand that after the 6900 some have a locking compound and it is not un common the shear off the head... *You will need the next size up anti-tamper driver to the ones that lock in the two side panels. *At least 6 if not more.. *Until I pick up my spare collar, can not confirm but understand new screws come with it...

NOTE: While this is a mechanical type repair... You are still quite easily able to screw up electrical connections and / or cause a leak, that could create an unsafe state. If in doubt, get a professional.

Thx AM
    I reckon Ill leave my sunbeam for now

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 222436383D243F510 link=1233294485/7#7 date=1234083029
    Thx AM
    I reckon Ill leave my sunbeam for now
    Just be 100% sure that you need a collar...

I did one 6910 today and all it needed was a new seal..... ::) I have a collar on order... So may have one as a spare ;D

The one from FL looks to have some distortion, but when the new seals arrive.... I will have a look and maybe pull it down just for the experience...

I am guessing the first one would take about 2 hrs to strip and re assemble....

I am sure the Service agents would do quicker, as once you have done one or two you know the tricks and traps...

I understand that it is about $70 labor here to do...

Thus all up about $120... But if you do not need it, then it is miss spent time and dollars.

Hi Angermanagement, The last repair i did on my dead EM6900 was renew the collar and it cost me $120 all up parts included. The repair man said it is a very time consuming and difficult job.
    Regrds, Adrian

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 1E3B3A696B325F0 link=1233294485/9#9 date=1234094009
    Hi Angermanagement, The last repair i did on my dead EM6900 was renew the collar and it cost me $120 all up parts included. The repair man said it is a very time consuming and difficult job.
    Regrds, Adrian
    Yep... That what I heard as well... Hence the $ values we have both come up with, is the same...

However I did find out that there is a short cut (save about 50% of the SB nominated time allowed to remove the collar) and this has a significant impact on the over all repair time...

So if your unit is about 2 years old or older and needs a collar replacement.. I guess it is a question to ask.. Repair or Upgrade ?
    Problem is if upgrading.... What do you do with the EM6910 .. Cut you losses or pay $120 and then try to sell it to recover the $120 plus a bit more ???

For me ( because I can do the work)... $50 at about 2 years plus a bit longer, will see another 2 years of use.... And by then an upgrade will be called for, regardless....

i reckon Ill upgrade to another machine next year. *Just not updose that much and itll be fine. I mean my machine leaks when i back frush it. Ive changed the seal already thats y i think it is the collar. But anyway, I reckon Ill leave it like that for now.

O~~AM if u change the collar, can u show us how to do it? Thx~~

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4D4B5957524B503E0 link=1233294485/11#11 date=1234140085
    i reckon Ill upgrade to another machine next year. *Just not updose that much and itll be fine. I mean my machine leaks when i back frush it. Ive changed the seal already thats y i think it is the collar. But anyway, I reckon Ill leave it like that for now.

O~~AM if u change the collar, can u show us how to do it? Thx~~

Jesss ya dont want much do ya ;D

No u tube vid from me... I couple of pics and a few words of encouragement .... Maybe ;)

Trust me... I will keep you / others informed / update this topic, when and as further info comes to hand..

Ali

I thought this would be of interest to this thread - I just had a call from Sunbeam. The service centre could not get the collar off so they are replacing my machine.

score.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 1D363A32241A570 link=1233294485/14#14 date=1234847844
    score.
    So far AM = Total success

The collar is not so hard, but a little time consuming... Am currently looking for a better torq driver as mine is a socket type... Thus has a need to remove more covers that I want...

Screws are not too tight.... The fun is removing the steam and hot water spout and dropping the upper shield.

Doing it this way, means you do not have to remove all the top fittings and pipe work..

Work is don dirt cheep... Green beans will do ;D Parts at cost, if and when available... Transport is your issue ;)