Thread: Surge Protection.

Surge Protection.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My VBM has been broken since before Christmas. I had a power spike go through it and the element no longer worked. I did have it on a surge protector but obviously not one good enough to protect it. I live out in the bush which is 8 hours drive to Sydney and was very wary of sending my machine into the city by freight going by the stories on this site of machines going missing and being broken. I eventually got my machine to Sydney and now it is fixed and serviced while away. I am now finding a way to get it back, hopefully it will be soon as it is a good 6 weeks later.

I have really missed my coffee as you can imagine as there a not a lot of places to get one where I am. I have now got a monster surge protector board ready for when my VBM comes home. I hope this is now enough protection, as I do not want to go through this regularly.

Do you think this should be enough protection or do you think that because it was before Christmas that I had the machine on all day that I may need a more professional machine for where I am.

A_M

Re: Surge Protection.

Quote Originally Posted by 0B213A2D2F332533400 link=1233460198/0#0 date=1233460198
    My VBM has been broken since before Christmas. I had a power spike go through it and the element no longer worked. I did have it on a surge protector but obviously not one good enough to protect it. I live out in the bush which is 8 hours drive to Sydney and was very wary of sending my machine into the city by freight going by the stories on this site of machines going missing and being broken. I eventually got my machine to Sydney and now it is fixed and serviced while away. I am now finding a way to get it back, *hopefully it will be soon as it is a good 6 weeks later.

I have really missed my coffee as you can imagine as there a not a lot of places to get one where I am. I have now got a monster surge protector board ready for when my VBM comes home. I hope this is now enough protection, as I do not want to go through this regularly.

Do you think this should be enough protection or do you think that because it was before Christmas that I had the machine on all day that I may need a more professional machine for where I am.
    Without the specs of the so called Surge protector... I can not comment other than... No surge protector is going to do what you think it is.. In general they are a rough Over voltage protector that may smooth but at best tend to filter high frequency etc etc.

The only way is to use a TRUE ON LINE UPS... Not a normal UPS as they are not much more than a Surge and brown out protector.

In a true on line UPS you system is always driven by an inverter. Thus the raw AC in charges a Battery and that battery system ( all sorts of config) then drives an inverter ( 24 or 12 to 240) to drive your equipment.

However a direct lighting strike or Transformer blowing up near you can always cause things to fry and destroy your system. Only true protection is to un plug and turn off.

Many/most surge protectors have a limited service life. A surge protector that has been in use for 5 years may actually no longer offer any protection. It depends on how many surges the circuit already absorbed.

Quote Originally Posted by 283D2C3D2A2D580 link=1233460198/2#2 date=1233531053
    Many/most surge protectors have a limited service life. A surge protector that has been in use for 5 years may actually no longer offer any protection. It depends on how many surges the circuit already absorbed.
    Most surge protectors are sacrificial - and if it is a large surge - they stand up and fight once - and once only!

So it is possible (during say a lightening storm) to have one surge which wipes out the protector.... and a second that takes out the gear!

The only truly safe way of protecting gear is to turn it off - and UNPLUG it from the mains, telephone lines etc.

Also many surge protectors have some form of indication when they have operated - and died! So check them periodically.

Unlike breakers or even earth leakage detectors which can be reset over and over again.... a surge protector is a large chunk of the same material you are trying to protect - a semiconductor - which acts fast but "falls on its own sword" when it does!

That was an almost poetic description JavaB but I think "falls on its own sword" isnt quite right.
    May I suggest "takes the bullet" would be more apt?

Quote Originally Posted by 625E4358525344515952360 link=1233460198/4#4 date=1233532642

Yep..... ;)

They are the fastest fuses in the West..... and work in the East as well ;D ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 1C203D262C2D3A2F272C480 link=1233460198/4#4 date=1233532642
    That was an almost poetic description JavaB but I think "falls on its own sword" isnt quite right.
    Na " takes the electron and his mates"

My VBM is back and on a surge protector for LCD and plasma TVs. If this does still make it get zapped well I will just live with it. I cant see the use of having a VBM and not using it in case it might get zapped. If it happens once a year, well it was going in for a service every year anyway.

I ended up getting it freighted back as I could not wait any longer. No harm came to it. Lucky I guess.

Everyone at work said I was hyperactive, because I havd 3 coffees that morning. Making up for lost time.