Thread: The unacheivable firm puck?

The unacheivable firm puck?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi all,

i currently have a Bodum Granos that i was given to replace my old Solis and have been unable to achieve a nice firm puck after extraction. distribution in the basket is not an issue as my dosing is fairly even and constant. the grind i use in the machine pours a single 30mm shot in 30sec (+/- 1sec). what could be the main reasons for this is happening? is this just a characteristic of this machine or am i doing something wrong?

Re: The unacheivable firm puck?

How do your shots taste. If they taste great then dont worry about a soft puck.

You could try a slightly coarser grind and see if a 20 - 25 sec shot improves your quality ( and puck).

If your shots taste sour then it might be a brew temperature problem as I was experiencing with my VBM. Not sure if this can be adjusted on your machine but you can try to measure the temp. Theres one method involving a foam cup with thermometer poked through the side and then held against the group head while dispensing hot water through it. Another method involves using a DMM with the thermocouple placed in basket, dosed then locked into group head. Apparently this doesnt damage the thermocouple. There is a thread somewhere on CS about this.

Hi I had same problem with my machine. I went to clean the brewing filter from the brewing head. It was badly blocked whiched caused an uneaven water spread it pays to cheack this filter. Hope it helps. :)

does your machine have a 3 way valve? if it doesnt, then dont worry bout your pucks. you aint gonna get a nice firm one.
    if you do have a 3 way, then try higher and higher doses with clightly coarser coffee and see what that does. also, try tamping with less pressure.
    aaron

I get floppy pucks if I do not use enough coffee. Increasing the dose should help.

hey all

thanks for the input but i have since replaced my bodum with a Brugnetti simon and the difference is incredible. rate the Brugnetti big time.

CE

Doesnt that Bodum have those crappy pressurised baskets? Thats probably it.

yeh it does, thats why i promptly binned it after a couple of weeks. it was given to me so no loss. haha

CE

I wouldnt have "binned it" mate.... :o

Maybe it didnt produce great coffee but sure is a great looking machine; and sooo shiny. Would look cool sitting up on a shelf near the bar 8-)

Mal.

hey mal,

dont worry mate didnt literally "bin it", its gone to a new home!

CE