Thread: New Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo VS ECM Giotto Used

New Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo VS ECM Giotto Used

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I have been posting in the other section, but my taste for perfection has ramped up a notch so I have landed here.

I have decided to splurge, but my problem is this.....

I have found a second hand 12 month old ECM Giotto in apparently Great condition for around $1500 with accesories. (knock box, jugs and decent tamper) For my basic 3 a day mainly espresso needs, how would this compare to buying a Brand new Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo for about the same (Di Bartoli here have a good deal with accesories included for about the same money)

What advice what people offer regarding buying second hand expensive machines like this? Is there much that could have or will go wrong outside of warranty period with what seems to be a beast of a unit?

All advice appreciated then Ill stop bugging everyone! ;)

Re: New Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo VS ECM Giotto Used

Hi there
    I am unable to compare the ECM Giotto to any other machines but can say that the Giotto is a great machine.
    I have had mine now for nearly 2 years and it produces really great shots (operator notwithstanding), until recently we were doing the same volume you have indicated if not many more on the weekends and the Giotto has never missed a beat.
    The only thing i have done since the purchase is to take the unit back to Chris @ talk Coffee so he could mod the unit to increase the steam pressure and since then it works better than it did out of the box. The mod comes in handy when producing many shots in a row.

Mal

I have a Piccolo and very happy with it but I had the same decision as yours then I would go the Giotto - no contest IMO

For one reason, it has the potential to meet increased demand and would do a better job of milk based drinks.

Then once you have the Giotto, consider taking it to ECA (or other sponsor) and get them to check it over and possibly adjust as Mal suggests

I think it really depends on what your going to be drinking out of it , espresso or milk based .
    So if you have the need and the space, the Giotto would be great and youd never regret owning it.

Being S/hand allow a bit extra for possible service would be my advice, even get it checked out as soon as you got it.

cheers

I would think it would be better to have the ability to produce more than what you think you would need rather than just enough.