Thread: Dead Em6900 where to next?????????

Dead Em6900 where to next?????????

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All, just joined up so just learning on here. I have a EM6900 that has broken down for about the sixth time in the last 2 and a years. Sunbeam dont want to know anything about it anymore. It has cost me money and fed up. The machine makes quite good shots but time to move on. I was looking at a Rancilio Silvia or Gaggia Classic or Saeco Via Venezia which i have used previously. What is everyones opinion on these machines and which should i go for?? Would a pre-loved Silvia be a good machine and if so where would i be able to get one? Please help because life without coffee at home is not worth living!! Just wont lower myself to Instant crap!! :D
    I had a laugh Regards, Adrian :)

Re: Dead Em6900 where to next?????????

Hi, I have a Saeco and I like it. With the standard pressurised portafilter you can get good (even very good shots perhaps) with lavazza il perfetto espresso, which is a very fine grind especially made for home espresso users (blue package).

I cant comment on the gaggia except that it has a bigger group head (58mm) vs the 53mm on the saeco. Makes no difference to me but a technical person might disgree... the thing that put me off was that it has an aluminium boiler, which may corrode over time, whereas the VV has stainless steel!

People will tell you that the Silvia is the best, and other people (sometimes the same people) will tell you that it has a bigger learning curve. One day I would like to have a silvia, but first I will be buying a good grinder, which after 5 seconds of reading this forum you will be convinced is far more important than the machine itself.

I would even consider getting a sunbeam cafe ristretto (yes the cheap $90 ones!) and a good grinder.... I have that little guy for about 5 years and it is very reliable and simple, and it has a boiler in it which none of the other sunbeams do! Apparently the cheapest acceptable grinder is the sunbeam EM0450/0480.

Keep in mind I am only learning too, but this is the info I have gleaned from the forums. Your opinions may differ wildly from mine, which is one of the beautiful things about humanity.

Also, they sell 2nd hand machines, including silvias, in the for sale forums here.

Adrian how much do you have to spend?
    Do you have a grinder (which one)?

Hi Ade

I have been using a Gaggia Classic at home now for about 5 years. *Ive never had another machine so nothing to compare it to but, its done me really well. *Ive had it serviced recently for the first time and it needed some internal replacement of parts, but thats probably due to my lack of knowledge about maintenance. *I am now descaling more regularly and doing a better job of cleaning and purging on the repairers advice. *Regardless of my inexperience and lack of care, it was still performing well.

I took it along to a one on one half day session with my local coffee shop a year or so ago and the info I picked up there about the machine and in general about coffee was invaluable, though Im still a learner. Once I knew what to expect from the machine, and saw what someone expert can do with it - it became more apparent that the machine was more than adequate for me! :)

I use it in conjunction with a sunbeam cafe series grinder, not the best I guess, but for me it was the single biggest improvement Ive made to my home coffee. *I find the sunbeam grinder fine apart from being messy *(But I put the flying grinds on the garden to give the slugs a happy death, *so they dont get wasted)

All up Id say you wouldnt be making a mistake if you did go for the *Gaggia, its simple and robust and as I said, Ive seen (and tasted) what an expert can do with it!
    Good luck!

I also have a EM6900 although not quite yet dead, but Im wondering if its worth spending the money on or looking for something else...

It was a hand-me-down and so Im not sure of its official age, though weve had it about 18 months now.

The machine hasnt been fired up in some time and is in desparate need of a good clean and a few parts.. Judging from costings in other threads around CS I figure Im up for around $170 in the form of the items below:-

1. Group handle ($88) (The original handle snapped off)
    2. Group head seal ($20) (Im pretty sure its stuffed)
    3. Anti-calc cartridge ($35) (Hasnt been replaced ever I think)
    4. Cleaning tablets ($20) (Not sure if really required?)
    5. Descaling fluid ($5 or tablets for $25) (Or if I should just try vinegar?)

And then Im seeing reports about broken collars and other parts failing on the 6900.

So given the amount of money and effort required to get it back up to scratch, and then not being sure on how long the machine may last for, Im not sure whether to give it a go, or just save my money and look at new machines ?

I dont have any budget for a new machine (and can barely justify the spares for this one), although I do have $200 in myer vouchers I could put towards a new one.

Anyone know if the Breville ESP8C are any good? Or can recommend something else that Myer generally stock which is around $200-400?

FWIW, after deciding on boiler over thermoblock, I had to work really hard to justify the Silvia over the Breville Ikon (BES400) and it was only the " Breville = throw away appliance" argument that got me my Silvia (& Rocky) *If I had had to stick to my original budget, $500 (being treasurer has its advantages ;D) the Ikon would have won, yes the boiler is smaller and it would have taken longer to do 4 milk drinks, but bang for buck, even the treasurer part of me had to be convinced that Silvia would be a better choice, only her brass boiler and serviceablilty got her over the line, just :) Oh and not needing to get a non pressurised basket. :D

Im not sure whether Myer stock it, but if you can use your vouchers at Coles group, I have seen it at Target.