Thread: Cooling flush on em6910

Cooling flush on em6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone,

Id like to know; do any of the em6910 owners here do a cooling flush before pulling a shot, similar to temp surfing?

I just pulled possibly my best shot thus far on my beamer 6910.

The beans are three week old Honduras la labor. I thought "hmm, a little old, grind one finer" (I wasnt hoping for anything amazing as the last few days theyve shown their age). I ground, dosed, tamped as usual, but this time, I ran 50-100mls through the group the way a silvia owner might. Completely on a whim.

The resulting shot started out nice and dark, with the pressure gauge in my ideal range. Unlike usual it didnt turn straw colour quickly, but kept the rich darkness.

The taste didnt display any of the bitterness that this bean had shown previously and was everything I would expect from a pro barista, unlike my usual shots which sometimes leave a bit to be desired.

Id love everyone else to give this a go and tell me if they get amazing results too.

-ACog (still floating) *:D

Re: Cooling flush on em6910

Must have been the grind/tamp combo. I do a flush about 50% of the time (cup warming) and it seems to make no difference to the extraction quality. I get a lot more variance due to tamp pressure.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 776273627572070 link=1234257446/1#1 date=1234261174
    Must have been the grind/tamp combo. I do a flush about 50% of the time (cup warming) and it seems to make no difference to the extraction quality. I get a lot more variance due to tamp pressure.
    Yep... I agree....

If you are finding it helps you then great...... But I would check the Group head temp setting...

I use to run at +4 but found that for most of the beans... I was not happy... Set to +2 and it seems to give a better balance...

Ive also played around with the group head temp and found the results disappointing.

When I finally get around to buying a DMM, I might do some experiments and see what temp the water is coming out at and see if a flush has any effects, adverse or otherwise.