Thread: New to coffee making and have a Silvia/Rocky and a few questions

New to coffee making and have a Silvia/Rocky and a few questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am getting to know the new machine, but I have a few minor questions. On the WWW some people said you are better to upgrade the double basket to a Synesso ridgeless double basket and a new spring. It works well for two people. So I bought one.

I have read it should take 25-30 seconds for the coffee to come through the portafilter, and make the expresso. I believe this is the same when using a single or double basket? Is this using both spouts into one cup or is it making two cups at the same time?

If I am making a single cup of coffee can I use the Synesso double basket and half fill it with coffee beans? This is my current method. I tried to experiment and put in the single basket but it does not fit in properly any more with the new spring recommended for the Synesso basket?

If I make a cappacuno and use a 200 ml mug how much expresso coffee should I put in, 30, 60ml, 75 ml, 100 ml, 125ml, before I add the milk?
    I
    I am currently grinding on the 10 setting with romacafe beans. Earlier I had it on 6-7 but it took much more than 25 seconds to half fill the cup. I realize now I was probably putting in 100 ml of coffee. To find the zero position I wound the dial around and it does not want to go past 0, this was with the motor not running. It make odd noises when I test it at setting 1 with no beans and the motor running. Is this the zero setting?

Thanks

Kevin

A_M

Re: New to coffee making and have a Silvia/Rocky and a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by 3D2B382F214A0 link=1234580894/0#0 date=1234580894
    If I make a cappacuno and use a 200 ml mug how much expresso coffee should I put in, 30, 60ml, 75 ml, 100 ml, 125ml, before I add the milk?
    I am currently grinding on the 10 setting with romacafe beans. Earlier I had it on 6-7 but it took much more than 25 seconds to half fill the cup. I realize now I was probably putting in 100 ml of coffee
    Single PF should provide approx 20 - 25 sec and *del 25 - 30ml of espresso

A double PF should take *25 - 30 sec and del approx 50 - 60 ml of espresso.

For many reasons including many different beans and PF basket sizes, these values are guides...

If your pulling 70 , 80 , 100ml from a single grind and tamp (Single or Double) then the result will be less than great... In fact crap... Over extracted.

A long *black for eg is one or two shots of espresso and topped with hot water... Every one have their own ration that they may like.. *But it is not just a matter of letting the system run untill the cup is full.

OH... Fresh beans from a local roaster... Supermarket stuff and a lot of teh stuff from the so called Coffee chains... Is not always that great and often just plain stale.

TC

Hi Warek and welcome,

NEVER 1/2 fill a basket. You must use the correct size for what you need to do.

I think some training is called for. There are plenty of sponsor trainers and helpful CSers. In the meantime, have a watch of http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm which was produced by ECA.

It will help head you in the right direction...

Good luck...

2mcm

Hi Kevin, if you are using the Silvia single basket, hide it somewhere and forget about it, it doesnt work!!
    Dial your grind down so that it almost clogs Silvia and then nudge it up a fraction and your shots should improve.
    If you only want a single shot still use the Synesso basket but tamp a little harder and try for a ristretto (restricted) shot, once you master them you will love them.
    Dont take any notice of Rockys numbers, go on the grind, every bean needs a different grind level, you will soon get accustomed to dialing in a new roast. My Rockys espresso setting is around 2-3, every machine is different.
    Enjoy Rocky and Silvia, Im sure you will have a rewarding relationship!!
    :)