Thread: Possible silvia dramas

Possible silvia dramas

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

Just have a few questions about my first gen silvia that i picked up second hand, i think it may be doing some things it shouldnt or it could be perfectly normal and i dont know.

after pouring a shot there is always water sitting on top of the puck and i have to let the handle sit on the tray for 10-15 seconds whilst the water drains into the puck so i can whack it out, i think my grind is fine as it is pouring shots at a good speed.

if i leave the machine sit for a few hours whilst on and then come back to pour a shot i need to run it for a while without the handle on before water flows out the head. is this normal??

and the third thing i am concerned with is the inconsistent steam flow, sometimes when purging it before use it will be a strong broad flow of steam. sometimes i will get a loud screeching sound whilst heating the milk and sometimes it will have a weakish but still hot steady flow of steam.

last question is what does back flushing achieve ? and how is it performed?

Re: Possible silvia dramas

Start by checking your dosing level. Wet pucks can be caused by not having enough grounds in the basket.

Water temperature may also have a bearing - search the forum or the net for Silvia temperature surfing as it is fairly critical to start pouring at the right time.

I will leave it to Silvia owners to help with your steaming problem or, again, search or browse Silvia threads in the current forum topic you started this thread in

Welcome to coffee snobs!

I find water on top of my puck if I dont put enough grinds in. The grinds should just touch the shower screen or just clear it, depending on who you talk to.

Be sure to lock off the steam knob. Water will drip out of it and slowly empty the boiler. Sometimes I find that after the machine has warmed up the steam arm will drip and I need to tighten again.

I also found steaming was inconsistant but I drink espresso 90% of the time so..... I dont care that much to find a solution.

Hope this helps

Backflushing cleans the group head and 3 way solenoid. You need a blind basket or blanking rubber.

Check out coffeeparts or other sponsers for the parts and cleaning solution.
    http://www.coffeeparts.com/machines/rancilio-silvia.html
    http://www.coffeeparts.com/accessories/cleaner.html

If you buy the caffetto the instructions are on the back.

Good luck!

Are you recharging your boiler after steaming, Silvia does not self prime, you have to do it as part of your routine.
    Wet pucks sound like underdosing, try upping your dose a little.
    Screaming while steaming means you have the wand too deep in the milk.

Jay G
    Others may be able to help with the wet pucks however I empty basket after I have steamed the milk and puck is always dry by then and easy to remove.

I always steam after running a double shot and flick the steam switch on. Thermostat light comes on. I wait for it to go off then open the steaming valve to purge water. I repeat to purge a second lot of water. I open valve again and steam into tray until light comes on. Close valve, time 30 sec while boiler is reheating. begin steaming before light goes out. This way steam is at its max for most of your heating of milk. You will always have great swirling action. I repeat this cycle for the next jug of milk. When complete I turn of the steaming switch, place an empty mug or jug under the wand, open the steam valve and turn on the water switch this then refills the boiler. When this happens you can tell because water, not steam will flow from the wand.
    Just my way of doing it ,others may have different methods. Using this method my silvia steams like a demon. :D

Agree with greenman dont bury wand into milk too deep. This may cause screaming.

Back flushing - try this site under How To
    http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

Lots of great info here (fellow CSer I think) :)
    Cicarda

Screaming can also be caused by lack of pressure due to valve not being opened enough.

For steaming with the Silvia, there is a youtube vid that is very good, runs for about 3 or 4 mins if I remember correctly, yankee guy who keeps his pitchers in the freezer. If you search for stretchin milk, it is one of the first ones that comes up.

Sen