Thread: EM6910 group head seal temp fix

EM6910 group head seal temp fix

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all, Like others I have just split my first group head seal after nearly 2yrs hard labor. Cant complain about that, but no stock of seals for forseable future was too much for me. I phoned SB and they did atleast send me a spacer for nics! But seal still split. tried putting the seal on the portafilter side and had some success, but had to grind too course for it to not blow out. In desperation I thought I would try super glue. One week later, and about 20 cups all is going well!! Being a boilermaker, I also got a small ball hammer and peened the inside of what SB called the brew head lock to push the material back that the locking tabs work on. This also seems to have been succesful (temporarily anyway!). Main point--superglue does stick that rubbery seal reasonably well. Dont care if it poisons me, I am back pulling excellent shots and enjoying my work! Kammy.

A_M

Re: EM6910 group head seal temp fix

Quote Originally Posted by 29232F2F3B420 link=1235086981/0#0 date=1235086981
    Hey all, Like others I have just split my first group head seal after nearly 2yrs hard labor. Cant complain about that, but no stock of seals for forseable future was too much for me. I phoned SB and they did atleast send me a spacer for nics! But seal still split.

Tried putting the seal on the portafilter side and had some success, but had to grind too course for it to not blow out. In desperation I thought I would try super glue. One week later, and about 20 cups all is going well!!

Being a boilermaker, I also got a small ball hammer and peened the inside of what SB called the brew head lock to push the material back that the locking tabs work on.

This also seems to have been succesful (temporarily anyway!). Main point--superglue does stick that rubbery seal reasonably well. Dont care if it poisons me, I am back pulling excellent shots and enjoying my work! Kammy.
    Not saying it is Ideal... But desperation has been the reasons for many new discoveries...

1: So your using SG to repair the Blue seal ? Pic would be good ;)

As there are a couple of SG types... I never gave it a thought as some are brittle while others have some flex. What type did you use ?

2: I also used a small ball hammer and peened the Group Collar on the one that FL provided... Any panel beaters would also be able to do this with ease. Trick is to take it slow and gental... Not like a bull at a gate... Great minds think alike ( Fitter and Turner - Long time ago).

While not ideal... It did make a significant difference... However as the material has been now worked a bit... It will be interesting to see how well it might last. I was even tempted ( If I can get another OLD collar) to take it to work and see about adding an insert and or looking at some brazing etc to see if I could in fact strengthen / add a hardened section to the main area. Too much stuffing around and not able to be done by most users.....

I get the feeling that the Group Lugs are the main cause as they are stepped rather than tapered like most. Thus instead of a gradule prasure being applied across a larger surface area. The step engauges and then forces its way in, causing a single preassure point that deforms the group collar.

SB should do a recall and provide new PF Heads to all and save on Collar replacement ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 456A63617649656A65636169616A70040 link=1235086981/1#1 date=1235090700
    2: I also used a smallball hammer and peened the Group Collar on the one that FL provided...Any panel beaters would also be able to do this with ease.Trick is to take it slow and gental... Not like a bull at a gate... Great minds think alike ( Fitter and Turner - Long time ago).
    Or someone who took Metalwork class in high school 30 years ago.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6F534E555F5E495C545F3B0 link=1235086981/2#2 date=1235091017
    Quote Originally Posted by 456A63617649656A65636169616A70040 link=1235086981/1#1 date=1235090700
    2: I also used a smallball hammer and peened the Group Collar on the one that FL provided...Any panel beaters would also be able to do this with ease.Trick is to take it slow and gental... Not like a bull at a gate... Great minds think alike ( Fitter and Turner - Long time ago).
    Or someone who took Metalwork class in high school 30 years ago.

YA giving ya age away TG... So was that in Junior, 8 , 9 or 10 :D

Yeah, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
    I can hand rivet with the best of them.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4975687379786F7A72791D0 link=1235086981/4#4 date=1235094821
    Yeah, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
    I can hand rivet with the best of them.
    Oh "Hand Rivets" so you spent time on the Sydney Harbor bridge and in the ship yards... *Hot rivets and those blood heavy tongs were a pain... * I hated rivets even later when we had air operated tools... They do a great job, but what a pain..

The Em6910 at work is up for a Collar replacement... So I am going to *look at performing some extra work on that collar... May also see if the service agent has one or two he might let me have...

30 cups and superglue (selleys $3.95 from hardware shop) still working. I am sitting really enjoying my morning flat white with my 4 daughters!!
    My seal is the blue one, flexible rubber/silicon I suspect and I did not think the glue would work, but desperation tries the unlikely. I would take a pic but would have to take it out again and I cant be stuffed!! Mine split through the main face of the seal, and then tore around the thin section of the seal at the base for a about 20 mm. I really didnt think it would hold, but I am very very happy it is working at least temporarily. *::)

**NOTE As a precaution, and because I gather that the seal is subject to significant sideways force as the porter filter locks, I have been smearing some olive oil on the contact lip of the basket every couple of shots to help it not place extra tear pressure on the temp glued repair ;)
    I wonder when the new seals will arrive????