Thread: em6910 pressure gauge & 3way valve problem

em6910 pressure gauge & 3way valve problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive just joined this site & have a re-occuring problem with a em6910 that has just resurfaced again after being fixed about 2months ago by Sunbeam,hoping one *of the users might be able to shed some light on a fix without going thru the hassel of returning the machine(it has approxamatley 1month of warrinty left to go)
    My pressure gauge has stopped working!
    also 3way valve doesnt seem to be reliving pressure from the Group Head after doing a back flush with cleaning tablets,the pressure just seems to build up in the group head & the normaly noisy pump goes quite but the gauge still doesnt move!. Could it be the 3way valve blocked?. I have tryed to clean using sunbeam cleaning & also descaling tablets but still no residule *from the tablets appears in the dip tray,& i carnt hear the valve closing at all. >:( :( I do clean the machine regularly every 3-4weeks

Re: em6910 pressure gauge & 3way valve problem

It might be a hassle, but I would just return to Sunbeam (again), that is what the warranty is for. If it isnt performing as it should (and as you say, its happened before). You could also try for some sort of extension on this problem should it reoccur in the future.

Sen

I agree.
    I got a free new machine once because a previously "fixed" problem came back after one week.

Be nice, mention that its extremely inconvenient to be without the machine while its being serviced.
    Never ask them for anything other than what they can do about it for you.
    If all they offer is another service, point out that they obviously didnt fix it last time and ask what makes them think this time will be any different?
    Sound very disapointed.
    BE NICE AT ALL TIMES.

Is the pressure relive valve & expresso extraction gauge problem related 2 one another or are they 2 seperate problems? also ill have to metion that the chrome has flaked off the group collar head too!

Thanks guys for your replys thou, would be interesting if any other em6910 users have experianced the same problem & could shed some light if im doing anything wrong with the machine im starting to feel i should have bought a better built machine :-X

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4E4D4040552C0 link=1235133513/3#3 date=1235219913
    Is the pressure relive valve & expresso extraction gauge problem related 2 one another or are they 2 seperate problems? also ill have to metion that the chrome has flaked off the group collar head too!

Thanks guys for your replys thou, would be interesting if any other em6910 users have experianced the same problem & could shed some light if im doing anything wrong with the machine im starting to feel i should have bought a better built machine *:-X
    Read the posts on the issues you have mentioned.. Plenty as to the Quirks of the 6910.

Call SB and mention your problems... *They should recommend that you take it back to the service agent and get the Gauge issue fixed and Group collar replaced. *AS TG stated above.... Be very polite but state your case.

The 6910 does not have a true 3 way valve *like a true commercial; to the best of my understanding..

I rang Sunbeam today & metioned -

1/ The chrome flaking on group collar

2/The expresso extraction gauge not working

3/The pressure relive valve sticking (not reliving pressure from the grouphead 3way valve) -To which the lady@ SB seemed confused about! -didnt think she seemed to know one existed

I got asked if ive "Had the Back of the machine open Yourself" >:( but evently the lady at SB agreed to the machine going once again back to the service centre to be fixed,so off it goes tomorrow.Well see how it goes from there: Keeping my fingers crossed:(

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 74777A7A6F160 link=1235133513/5#5 date=1235390783
    I rang Sunbeam today & metioned -

1/ The chrome flaking on group collar

2/The expresso extraction gauge not working

3/The pressure relive valve sticking (not reliving pressure from the grouphead 3way valve) -To which the lady@ SB seemed confused about! -didnt think she seemed to know one existed

I got asked if ive "Had the Back of the machine open Yourself" >:( but evently the lady at SB agreed to the machine going once again back to the service centre to be fixed,so off it goes tomorrow.Well see how it goes from there: Keeping my fingers crossed:(
    Yea I would also be interested; as to the best of my knowledge there is not a true 3 way valve in the SB EM6910..

Many think there is ??? However as the EM6910 should never be used with a true blind PF and the rubber blind has a small hole... I am going to say that the EM6910 does not... If Fix or some one else can confirm or state otherwise as to their understanding... It would be great, as the SB people I know state there is not...

Thus the Lady could be confused by you statements and of course assume, that you have been inside the unit playing....

Let us know how you get on..

I rang the SB people when my gauge was not working and they told me that I needed to do a descale of the machine. I did one and it did make a difference, the gauge did work again. I had been using filtered water and did not think I had to do it. I know know that you do. I did notice that you had done that. Just wondering if you used filtered water in it all the time as scale does not take that long to build up.

I dont use filtered water only tap water -but still have the anti-calcium filtre attached in the water tank of the machine & have done a descale once per month.
    If scale is calcium deposits (correct me if im wrong) why hasnt the anti-calcium filtre stopped the scale from entering the thermoblock & gauge conections & stopped it from blocking (as its happend b4).

Oh! and SB never suggested i should try descaling to try to free the gauge,i just thought id give it a try myself but after i left it to stand over-night with the descaling solution the gauge still didnt move, nor did the pressure relive valve unstick.

I will in future try to descale a bit more frequently,but do u really have to use filtered water?

I would always use filtered water. I also think it makes the coffee taste better. There are lots of advice on that up the top in the search section. I found lots of helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by 393A3737225B0 link=1235133513/8#8 date=1235564036
    I will in future try to descale a bit more frequently,but do u really have to use filtered water?
    Calcium levels vary significantly through out Australia.
    The worst I have seen is in a small place on the way to Charters Towers which is named Calcium. They have to descale there urns every 2 days.
    Scale from calcium forms at around 50 degrees celsius.
    There are many filters on the market that suggest scale inhibitors but the only proven methods are water softeners and reverse osmosis systems.
    A good water softener is bulky and the resin has to be regenerated with salt regularly. reverse osmosis prices are coming down but are slow and have a lot of waste water. R/O requires a holding tank.
    I filter all my water for calcium, chlorine, bugs and flouride.
    I would even filter rainwater having seen the gunk in my gutters and rainwater tank. Use bottled water or buy a good filter.
    Your coffee will taste better and your machine will live longer.

Woo Hoo! just recieved my 6910 back from SB service agents- it now has a shiney new collar, & the pressure gauge & pressure relive valve seems to be working fine atm

I rang SB to inquire about a new cal-filtre,& apparently they are out of stock atm but shouldnt be long to be restocked.

SB also told me today to use the "DUEL FLOOR" 2 cup basket with the plastic cleaning disk when doing a cleaning cycle, I really have no idea why, but she did stipulate not to use the normal standard 2cup basket when cleaning.
    Would I not be putting undue load on the pump by using the Dual Floor basket along with the plastic disk inserted in the group handle?

The OPV prevents the pump from overloading. My guess is that SB recommends the pressurised PF to prevent complaints about leaking from people who dont seat the plastic cleaning disk properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 52515C5C49300 link=1235133513/11#11 date=1236082441
    Would I not be putting undue load on the pump by using the Dual Floor basket along with the plastic disk inserted in the group handle?
    I dont see how; the plastic disk leaks and theres still a hole in the dual floor basket.