Thread: Removing group head screen for descaling - Sunbeam 6910

Removing group head screen for descaling - Sunbeam 6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    Im new to this forum and the Sunbeam 6910. Have been back flushing with the Sunbeam tablets every three months and with water after every use. I now am ready to do a descale after 6 months of use but although I can unscrew the screw attaching the shower screen on the underside of the group head, the screen itself wont budge and Im concerned about breaking it.
    Anyone had this problem? The manual stipulates that the screen must be removed before descaling. I have the Sunbeam descaling liquid ready to use.
    Richard.

Re: Removing group head screen for descaling - Sunbeam 6910

You should find that there is a tiny gap between where the screw came out and the screen itself. Just gently insert a pointy object in that gap to give you a bit of leverage and then wiggle the screen out. The screen is inserted into the plastic group head seal, so you need to be gentle but firm with it. I pull the seal and both shower screen and dispersion screen out every few months to give everything a good clean. It can feel a bit tight and frictiony, but it does come out.

A_M

As per peteru instructions and you will need to do this to clean / inspect and or replace your Group seal as well...

Take it slowly and all should be fine..

I helped my son descale his 6910 and it went smoothly, he hadnt backflushed very often so there was plenty of gunk behind the screen.

Thank you very much. Was able to get the screen/filter off with your instructions. And yes... the filter/screen assembly did need a clean as well! *:)

Quote Originally Posted by 100514051215600 link=1235269539/1#1 date=1235271233
    You should find that there is a tiny gap between where the screw came out and the screen itself. Just gently insert a pointy object in that gap to give you a bit of leverage and then wiggle the screen out. The screen is inserted into the plastic group head seal, so you need to be gentle but firm with it. I pull the seal and both shower screen and dispersion screen out every few months to give everything a good clean. It can feel a bit tight and frictiony, but it does come out.
    it is really necessary to remove the screem when doing descale?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7E5F5F525E15773B0 link=1235269539/5#5 date=1235384932
    Quote Originally Posted by 100514051215600 link=1235269539/1#1 date=1235271233
    it is really necessary to remove the screem when doing descale?
    Follow the Manual.... Yes and NO... But if you choose not to then scale and other crap could become lodged in the shower screen etc...

Besides... If you going to do the job... Do it right OR do not bother...

Nothing worse that trying to trouble shoot and some one saying they have followed the manual etc and they have only done half the job..