Thread: Silvia - Whats next?

Silvia - Whats next?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Great site! Lurked for awhile and time for a post.
    After a lot of reading I have seen the support for a silvia and I must say I am heading in that direction but for the bracket of $500 - $1500 is the something better for a few extra dollars up to $1500. What would be the next step up from a R / Silvia?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers SS

TC

Re: Silvia - Whats next?

Quote Originally Posted by 5E46454546270 link=1235396148/0#0 date=1235396148
    Hi All,

Great site! Lurked for awhile and time for a post.
    After a lot of reading I have seen the support for a silvia and I must say I am heading in that direction but for the bracket of $500 - $1500 is the something better for a few extra dollars up to $1500. What would be the next step up from a R / Silvia?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers SS

Hi SS and welcome.

The next step is something Silvia style, but with an e-61 group which will give you a bigger bulls-eye to shoot at ;).

This group includes the Diadema Perfetta, Vibiemme Vashetta (Piccolo) and a few others.

Best build and finish by a mile is the Perfetta but I like the VBM as temperature is adjustable. We use a Scace device on every one we sell to ensure its at optimum.

Youre most welcome to make contact if we can assist. We even have a demo model in Melbourne which will be well within your budget.

Good shopping luck and dont forget to budget for the best grinder you can possibly afford.

Chris

Thanks Chris, As Im based in Brisvegas a visit is a little hard. I will have a read on the different units.

My qs is does an e61 make that much difference and why? Sorry in advance if a silly Q.

Cheers SS

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by 435B58585B3A0 link=1235396148/2#2 date=1235569275
    hanks Chris, As Im based in Brisvegas a visit is a little hard
    Go to Veneziano West End , montague rd.
    See Peter, site sponsor too.
    Mention site sponsor Talk Coffee.
    From my experience and advice,
    you will not look back
    cheers

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 352D2E2E2D4C0 link=1235396148/2#2 date=1235569275
    Thanks Chris, As Im based in Brisvegas a visit is a little hard. I will have a read on the different units.

My qs is does an e61 make that much difference and why? Sorry in advance if a silly Q.

Cheers SS
    Hi SS,

Thats a shame. The home-barista website has some pretty good reading material which will run you through the anatomy of the e-61 group and how it functions.

Essentially, over something like a Silvia, you will get far better control of temperature. I often describe it as shooting at a bigger target with a much larger bullseye.

FWIW, we have a whole heap of QLD based clients. Im happy to assist with advice either via phone or here if you prefer.

Chris

For that sort of money, I would lean towards a Nuova Simonelli Oscar unless you drink black coffees, almost exclusively. The high end dual purpose boiler machines just take far too long to transition from brew to steam (and back again) for my liking. The Oscar wont be as forgiving but is still very capable with a bit of fettling and is a far better machine if you intend to entertain more than 4 friends (who drink milk coffees).

Quote Originally Posted by 2D6A3B3A216A590 link=1235396148/3#3 date=1235573043
    cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by 435B58585B3A0 link=1235396148/2#2 date=1235569275
    hanks Chris, As Im based in Brisvegas a visit is a little hard
    Go to Veneziano West End , montague rd.
    See Peter, site sponsor too.
    Mention site sponsor Talk Coffee.
    From my experience and advice,
    you will not look back
    cheers
    Im just up the road so will drop in - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0D383532061A363F3F3C3C590 link=1235396148/4#4 date=1235599330
    Quote Originally Posted by 352D2E2E2D4C0 link=1235396148/2#2 date=1235569275

Cheers SS
    Hi SS,

Thats a shame. The home-barista website has some pretty good reading material which will run you through the anatomy of the e-61 group and how it functions.

Essentially, over something like a Silvia, you will get far better control of temperature. I often describe it as shooting at a bigger target with a much larger bullseye.

FWIW, we have a whole heap of QLD based clients. Im happy to assist with advice either via phone or here if you prefer.

Chris
    Thanks Chris, you do have a great site. You never know where I might buy from once I actually make a decision!!

Quote Originally Posted by 32383837383E3C590 link=1235396148/5#5 date=1235601830
    For that sort of money, I would lean towards a Nuova Simonelli Oscar unless you drink black coffees, almost exclusively. The high end dual purpose boiler machines just take far too long to transition from brew to steam (and back again) for my liking. The Oscar wont be as forgiving but is still very capable with a bit of fettling and is a far better machine if you intend to entertain more than 4 friends (who drink milk coffees).
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a read on it. While I want a versatile machine (to a degree) it is firstly about good short blacks / coffee. Yes I and others will have milk based drinks now and then but that side comes second to great straight coffee.

Actually, I wonder if a stovetop steamer or even a steam toy would be a useful item to use in conjuction with one of the high end dual purpose boiler machines so that the machine can just make the espressos (superbly) and any steaming can be accomplished on the other item.

If its going to be a starting machine, its probably not a bad idea to stick with getting the silvia. If you start with a more forgiving machine, you may develop some bad habits. Silvia wont let you as you need to get everything just right to get a good shot. Makes a good training machine, and if you spend the $800, when you sell it in a year or two for that e61 group double boiler HX machine upgrade, youd probably get $500 back for it. they hold their value very well.

I started with the Expobar Leva and dont think I have any bad habits.
    Discipline is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by 343F25376861500 link=1235396148/8#8 date=1236039631
    If its going to be a starting machine, its probably not a bad idea to stick with getting the silvia. If you start with a more forgiving machine, you may develop some bad habits. Silvia wont let you as you need to get everything just right to get a good shot. Makes a good training machine, and if you spend the $800, when you sell it in a year or two for that e61 group double boiler HX machine upgrade, youd probably get $500 back for it. they hold their value very well.
    Hi Doug,

Maybe its a case of I dont know what I dont know and I dont appreciate the point your making but I think you just convinced me to go with the e61 machine. Do I want a forgiving machine that will produce great coffee - Yes. Would I like to not upgrade and not burn a few hundred - Yes. While I want good technique I want great coffee more. Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Regards SS

now youve learned a valuable lesson - dont listen to me! ;) hell, Id get an e61 group if I could stretch the budget. happy with my silvia all the same...

Quote Originally Posted by 0E3B36310519353C3C3F3F5A0 link=1235396148/1#1 date=1235420529
    This group includes the Diadema Perfetta, Vibiemme Vashetta (Piccolo) and a few others.
    Talk Coffee has made some good suggestions, I would definetly check these out. Ultimately a demo would be nice to see if you are happy/unkhappy with the single boiler etc. These machines definetely look *8-) too.

I would definatley recommend the Vibiemme Piccolo, it is my first espresso machine, have had it just under a year and have been very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 38030131620 link=1235396148/13#13 date=1236663769
    I would definatley recommend the Vibiemme Piccolo, it is my first espresso machine, have had it just under a year and have been very happy with it.
    Hi Zac,

it looks like a great machine and e61 to boot!!

Im curious why you are upgrading if your happy with it. What are you buying?

cheers SS

Barazi Bezzera in Coopers Plains have Silvias in stock & Some new and used machines

We also have a new sponsor QCMS - La Nuova Era in Caxton St
    Petrie Terrace

KK

Site Sponsor

SS;

he is looking to up grade to and Isomac Tea. This kind of upgrades are happen very often, you start with espresso, them combination of espressos and lattes. etc

I think is my fault since i have the Isomac Tea is on special as well.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163932885

Renzo
    Di Bartolie Barista Centre

TC

A less expensive HX, souped up to perfection can be an excellent way to break into the sophisticated stuff.

2 x Kevs bonus and youre in ;)

We have the Expobar Office Leva at a very fair price and with freebies as well. Further details at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/5#5

Chris