Thread: long time Oscar owner - questions

long time Oscar owner - questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

big hello to all on the forum with my first post, have spent quite a bit of time reading, and there are some seriously knowledgable people out there in the world of coffee

I have a few questions as i have a few issues at the moment, and there are some things that i would like to learn in my quest for a better cup!

My set up is an Oscar machine with a Quick Mill Senago grinder

I have had and used this set up for 5+ years

Issues
    1/ Group handle does not sit in centre position when fully installed into the group holder
    2/ Bad smell coming out of steam arm
    3/ Generally an average cup of coffee coming from the machine

I have tried a saeco flush liquid through it, and this has made it worse.

Questions
    1/ Probably need to service the machine, can anyone recommend a suitable place wit h experience on these units in Melbourne.
    2/ The Grinder that i have does not dispense a regular dose of coffee, Measurement is done by eye, feel, experience - this results in varying levels of quality. I have been using the machine for a long time now, and can usually get a decent cup every time - however i have several others in the house that also want to be able to make coffee and they are finding this difficult. Am i missing something here or does this grinder just no have a preset measure? Is there anything that i can do in relation to this?
    3/ From what i have read the Oscar is held in quite high regard, is the grinder that i have any good?
    4/ How do you know what grind level to set on the grinder? As the set up makes good coffee should i be messing with this?

5/ and unrelated - my parents are looking for a machine / grinder and have never made coffees apart from with their plunger - what direction should i be pointing them towards - any specific makes / models / styles would be helpful

Any help would be appreciated

cheers!

Re: long time Oscar owner - questions

Probably need to service the machine, can anyone recommend a suitable place wit h experience on these units in Melbourne.
    Site sponsor Veneziano are the go to Oscar people.

I think the Oscar is beyond repair and you really should sell it (to me!) and get a new machine...

Oh, darn, that was a bit obvious, wasnt it! :D

I wish I could help you out but, alas, it will be a little while before I can afford to get one and give you any useful advice.

Welcome to the forum, though - have fun and browse around!

Cheers
    Di

bump, can anyone help me with some of these questions?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 35242A2F2E32352033410 link=1235634153/0#0 date=1235634153

Issues
    1/ Group handle does not sit in centre position when fully installed into the group holder
    Hi Techno and welcome. This is most likely a worn group seal or build up of coffee debris. Assuming youre backflushing regularly, it will be the seal.

2/ Bad smell coming out of steam arm
    Most likely contamination of the boiler due to poor hygiene on the machine leading to milk entering the boiler. You may require a new anti-vac valve and most likely, a triple action clean of the boiler. Ideally the machine should be disassembled to do this.

3/ Generally an average cup of coffee coming from the machine
    The items mentioned in the above replies will definitely lead to poor coffee.

Your machine will need a full once over and Veneziano coffee sell and should be able to service your machine.

Might I also recommend that you and/or those who use your machine enrol in a good espresso course so you can learn how to best care for your machine ;).

Good luck!

2mcm

Site Sponsor

Hi Teknostar:

Regarding the issues:

1. This is very common in an old machine you need a new group head seal.
    2. Smell coming from steam - could be that your boiler has suck some milk and is contaminated: This occur when your anti vacumm valve has fail, if is that that is big job, need to take the boiler out and clean.

Questions:
    1. Need service: ND Distributors are the Importer they are in Melb.
    2. If you believe that you can get a good cup every time, you need to teach the others.
    3. Quckmill is a nice grinder which one is it:M0D050/ M0D60 or M0D031
    4. You should use the 30sec 30ml rules to start, I found that this is the easy one.

For your parents look for easy machine, like Ascaso Duo and I-Mini check my website http://www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=18

Any question please feel free to call me or pm me

Regards

Renzo

Quote Originally Posted by 476A5C416271776C6F6A030 link=1235634153/5#5 date=1235952695
    2. Smell coming from steam - could be that your boiler has suck some milk and is contaminated: *This occur when your anti vacumm valve has fail, if is that that is big job, need to take the boiler out and clean.
    The Oscar has no anti-vac valve so I think teknostar will be up for a big cleanup bill (or job if he/she wants to attempt it).

This seems to be the big weakness of the Oscar, you need to thoroughly blow out the steam arm after use and leave it open when turning the machine off (and only close it when it starts hissing after turning on). It seems to need a fair bit of attention to run and its a shame they couldnt fit a $20 part to this otherwise very good machine.

I think the Oscar has a non return valve in the steam tap to prevent milk being sucked back into the tank.

This seems to be the big weakness of the Oscar, you need to thoroughly blow out the steam arm after use and leave it open when turning the machine off (and only close it when it starts hissing after turning on).
    I have always done this since i got the machine

Thanks for your help guys, i will drop it off to Veneziano and see if they can clean it out for me and replace the seal

teknostar

I have the same problem regarding smelly steam from my Oscar I recently purchased, not having thought that it was a major issue ( which is inexperience). *Did you ever sort that issue out ??

I have used the triple strength descaler and even after 5 lts of water there is a blue ting coming through the pour, not sure if it is still the descaler or scale itself. The color of the descaler was blue but there was only on litre of what with that. I am not sure if it is doing anything for the boiler, the pour seems fine for making expresso but as with an Oscar you have to bleed first to do anything and it smells bad, any milk that is frothed turns a foul sour flavor, so is kind a turn off for using it. I intend to put the boiler apart *and soak it in citric acid. Has anyone done this before? if do you have any advice.

Changed the colour - Very difficult to read :-?
    Mal.

I bought an Oscar a month or so ago and just hope I wont be coming up with these problems. I will just have to make sure I purge the steam well after each time steaming. Theoretically it shouldnt be a problem unless the steam tip is full of milk when you turn the machine off. I definately wont be letting all the steam out every time I want to turn the machine off which would be required if you left the steam valve open as mentioned above. I reckon I would have a sauna going in my kitchen with the amount of steam that would put out.

Justin