Thread: Sunbeam - EM6910 - Hot water wand fell off, anyone with similar problem?

Sunbeam - EM6910 - Hot water wand fell off, anyone with similar problem?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I am a newbie to the espresso machine world and thought I would start my brewing experience with the Sunbeam EM6910. I have had the machine for a week and a half and the metal screw holding the hot water wand in the machine has snapped (It wasnt bumped - it just fell off)! It appears that the metal screw that holds it onto the machine has corroded...! I was wondering if anyone has :(experienced anything similar??? Sunbeam have so far been less than helpful regarding the repairs.

Thanks!!!

A_M

Re: Sunbeam - EM6910 - Hot water wand fell off, anyone with similar problem?

Sorry... The Topic Vs your comments are not making sense to me...

Was it a screw or the Whole wand ?

The wand is connected via a large nut to the main HW bypass valve and if that has corroded / snaped I am sure SB would be interested..

Thus I am at a loss as to the screw you are refering to... Care to upload a pic ?

Thanks Angermanagement I should have been more descriptive -

The whole hot water wand has fallen completely off. The wand is in one piece and is not damaged. The brass coloured screw which holds the wand onto the machine has snapped. Half the screw is still in the machine and the other half fell out. (the spring fell out as well). I will try and take a clear picture of the brass looking screw so you can see how the metal looks corroded.

The Sunbeam service agent I spoke with was convinced I must have damaged the machine so was no interested in assisting me.

I purchased the machine brand new from the Good Guys a week and a half ago.

Does that make more sense?

A_M

YES

Much more sense... I would take a few pics as it should be obvious with any lack of damage to the unit and inparticular; if the large nut showes signs of a fracture...

I am at a loss as to how a nut of that size could split, even with force, in the manner (Half the screw is still in the machine and the other half fell out.) you have discribed, other than a manufacturing fault.

1: Did you call the SB hotline ?
    2: Send picture to fully explain..
    3: Return the Good Guys may be an easier option in the first instance..
    4: Document and plenty of pics to clearly show what you mean and have experienced.

Some service agents will make a call over the phone and they can get it wrong if they do not have all the facts. Further more, SB make teh call in the first instance and SB may also request the agent to provide further comment... Unless you have a good relationship with the service agent... Do not take their first.

Always follow the right procedure... Makes for easer claims and follow up.

PS. Where are you ?

Thanks AM, thats helpful.

Sunbeam advised me to take the machine to their service centre at Ashfield (NSW). I phoned the service centre and they indicated that it is difficult to get the broken screw out (it seemed as if they have had to do it before) and said that they would have a look at it.

I spoke to the Good Guys and they said they would not replace the machine. They said that they would only have replaced it within the first week of purchase, and given it has been a week and a half it falls within the Sunbeam repairs warranty timeframe. They said that the machine needs to be taken to a Sunbeam service centre and that either I can do this, or they will.

I am leaning towards taking the machine back to the Good Guys so that they can liaise with the Sunbeam Service Centre.

I am located at Dural (NSW).

Thanks for your comments!

Why would you take it back to GG when both Sunbeam and GG have told you to take it to the Service Centre unless you want to make this as complicated as possible? As AM indicated, work within the system for the best results.

Quote Originally Posted by 33393421223D3C2130550 link=1236564991/5#5 date=1236580836
    Why would you take it back to GG when both Sunbeam and GG have told you to take it to the Service Centre
    Yep, that would be a far better solution...

GG would just add another level of complexity (and considerable delay) in having the machine repaired....

You will no doubt get better (personal) service by dealing direct with the manufacturers repair agent rather than an appliance sales firm who know as much about coffee machines and making coffee as I do about... eh... brain surgery!! ;) :D :D :D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2E253A3B3D263C2E4F0 link=1236564991/4#4 date=1236571760
    I phoned the service centre and they indicated that it is difficult to get the broken screw out (it seemed as if they have had to do it before) and said that they would have a look at it.
    Let them have a look... If SB say take it there... Then follow the bouncing ball ;D

In fact.. It is not that hard a job... You just need the right size socket..

Problem is that even with a working system they tend to use a shifter, rather than an open ended spanned or a true spanner used for this type of work. Better still a ring spanned slid over the wand...

Would still like to see a pic...

Quote Originally Posted by 557E697E5D1F0 link=1236564991/6#6 date=1236581344
    You will no doubt get better (personal) service by dealing direct with the manufacturers repair agent
    Agreed.
    The guy at Ashfield seems to know what hes doing.
    He replaced the collar of the 6910 from work and while he was at it also replaced a singed circuit board hed noticed.
    From talking to him when I picked the machine up I decided he knows a fair bit about the Sunbeams.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E756A6B6D766C7E1F0 link=1236564991/4#4 date=1236571760

I am located at Dural (NSW).
    Ive also had good service from the Authorised Agent at Seven Hills if thats easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 69627D7C7A617B69080 link=1236564991/0#0 date=1236564991
    Hot water wand fell off, anyone with similar problem?
    Well, the steam wand on my old EM6910 snapped off near the base as I was packing it into the styrofoam cutouts for delivery to the service agent for a separate issue. The only pressure on the machine was its own weight... The exposed metal where it snapped looked highly crystallised which would explain the brittleness.

They replaced that machine with a new one.

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments/advice. There is a happy ending to the story....

Because the machine appeared faulty (and was only a week and a half old) I took it back to GG Castle Hill as the consumer laws are pretty clear cut when it comes to faulty products - if the machine is faulty it should be replaced. I took it to GGs and they were fabulous in person! The Sales attendant and Manager took one look at the corroded, snapped screw, and the unattached hot water wand and replaced the machine in 5 mins.

At least Im back to the important part now - making good coffee!

Thanks again for the advice - had the machine been a bit older and a little worn, I would have taken it to the service centre for repair.

:)

Wawny

Hi, I had an identical problem 2011 and Sunbeam refused to do anything about it. They also said the remnant in the machine was hard to get out. It undid with my fingers and (being reasonably handy) what a bullshit line of theirs. Its no problen at all with simple tools - 5 minutes worth. I cant get a part and they want to sell me a complete wand for $79 or so. I want to get rid of it so may have to buy one. Cheers
    ps. Sunbeam said they hadnt heard of it happening before - yeah, right ;D