Thread: Silvia Rehab - Success!

Silvia Rehab - Success!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have had a Silvia for over 4 years now and a few months ago it went down for the count. *It was clogged with scale and had been poorly maintained by me. *When I realized that my sizeable investment was about to go to waste, I did much research and contacted the repair guy (Moses) at 1st Line who gave me a lot of help in the repair department. *I unclogged the blockage with an industrial strength decalcification, backflushed, replaced the thermostat, changed the portafilter gasket, went to change the steam wand gaskets and discovered a corroded steam wand assembly, so that got replaced. *In the process I learned a lot about how to maintain my machine.

After all this, I decided to continue and added one of Jims PID kits, and got the lowdown from several places on proper cleaning and maintenance. *I also relearned how to tamp thanks to a few well placed YouTube videos and Schomers Espresso Techniques book. *I now have a better than new machine, and am pulling decent, consistent shots with much more regularity.

It was an expensive lesson in why to take care of my equipment. Still looking to get thick reddish crema with boring regularity, but then I need something to shoot for. ::)

Re: Silvia Rehab - Success!

Its great to hear that your Silvia is running well again. It says a lot for the stamina of this machine. :)

I am glad that I did some surfing to find out about the Rehab. Just happens that I am now in the boat that you were previously in and need to at least chnage the gasket on the portafilter.

As I have a Silvia can you please point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

The gasket is easy Sebastian, get one from Coffeeparts, when I changed mine I used a self tapping screw which I screwed into old gasket and pulled it out, cleaned the screen and inside group area thoroughly before inserting the new gasket, the portafilter helps to push the gasket into place.

Greenman, thanks for the information. Will give Coffeeparts a go.

Trouble is I am unsure it is the group head gasket that needs replacing. It is just that the Water (for past week) has been comimg out between the portafiller (body of machine) and the filter holder (not sure if I have terms correct *::)).

Mind you I literally am in the same boat as T-Bone, as I have had my Silvia for over 4 years and done only the basic cleaning and back flushing. Maybe should have an overhaul?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

This should help you....

Domestic Espresso Machine Maintenance

Just spoke to coffeeparts.com.au and the lady was extremely helpful.

Thank you to all. I shall now be giving my Silvia a bit more love * :) and care.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

Site Sponsor

Hi Sebastian,

Happy to assist with a good reference material. Weve got our Di Bartoli copyright PDF: "All you need to know about your Rancilio Silvia: How to operate, clean and maintain your machine".

You can get it FREE! simply email me to ofra@dibartoli.com.au and Ill forward it to you.

For backflush detergent and descaling solution, check: www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=42

For group head brush, cloth and wrenches: www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=28

For ALL Rancilio Silvia parts including group head seals, boiler, steam arms and thermostats: www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=48

Any one else is interested in the PDF? just email through...

Ofra

Thanks for the PDF ref. and the link to the domestic repairs site. *Thats what I used to fix my thermostat and the steam valve. *

By the way. Our kids and granddaughter were in last week and the machine worked flawlessly. I created an instruction sheet for tamping and making espresso using my equipment setup in the style of the "Cheating Miss Silvia" document. I like the table of pictures and comments (I used 3x3 per page). It was a big help, and a source of amusement for my kids.

Anyone else ever done anything like this?

T-Bone I hope that my family in time will come to enjoy Coffee as much as you and I *;).

Quick question have removed the gasket but not sure which side the replacement gasket should face.

My assumption is that the sharper side goes up and the bevilled edge faces down.

Come someone come to my rescue * :(.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

I think you have that reversed. If by the beveled edge you mean the rougher side with the lettering, that should go up. You want the smoothest side facing down to get a good seal on the portafilter basket.

I would also be very thorough on cleaning out the area that the gasket goes into. Mine was filthy and I got in a hurry the first time I installed it and had leaks (It was also a booger to install). I saw what I did wrong, carefully removed the gasket and really cleaned out the channel for the gasket. Smooth installation and no leaks!

Cheers T-Bone, I am sure you are correct. Have now reversed the gasket so we shall see how good the seal is now.

Spent quite a bit of time last night cleaning out the channel for the gasket. Uummm *:-/ ....should have spent some more time when I flipped the gasket around.

Thanks for your assistance.