Thread: 6910 Steam Rate Seems to Fluctuate

6910 Steam Rate Seems to Fluctuate

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Its noticeable when listening to the rushing sound from the steam wand that the steam pressure fluctuates cyclicly quite a bit and Im having a lot of trouble being able to surf the surface of the milk. I can get amazing microfoam from my old Sunbeam 3800 and teh Breville 400 at work, but nothing even approaching this from my new 6910. Ive gone through about 3L of milk and about a dozen attempts and not one has been even acceptable to me.

Ive tried factory settings, low temperature wet, high temp dry, low temp dry and so on and just cant seem to get anything.

Im going to see about doing a barista course at Epic as Ive heard they use the 6910 during that. However in the meantime should the steam rate be audibly fluctuating?

Also watching the videos on youtube it seems like you flick the steam switch and a couple of seconds later the steam is cranking. I understand theyve probably bled and warmed the machine but even at that mine will take a while to get up to a decent steam rate. Does anyone have a demo of what it should be like? A video of plain operation from scratch somewhere or something so I can compare?

Thanks for any help. Its frustrating have a machine I can get amazing shots from but such absolutely crap milk compared to my old $150 machine.

Re: 6910 Steam Rate Seems to Fluctuate

The steam doesnt do that on mine. Id ring Sunbeam or take it straight to a service centre.

Im on my second machine. First one stayed with me for three weeks and had similar issues.

The steam would come out like pft pft pft really rapidly.

I also noticed that it screamed when inserted in to milk, no matter where I situated the steam tip, bottom of the pitcher, surface of the milk, didnt matter.

Either take it back to the place of purchase if you can, or call SB.

Damn :(

Thanks guys, I thought it couldnt be this poor from a machine that has had such great reviews!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3E2B2B283030233E3F510 link=1236770389/3#3 date=1236779538
    Damn :(

Thanks guys, I thought it couldnt be this poor from a machine that has had such great reviews!

Where are you ?

I have seen one that was light on, but in general quite good, not the best but more than ok...

I have seen any number that have had milk / scale and other blockages that caused problems..

Im in Perth.

I just got off the phone with Sunbeam and their response that scared me was "Their relationship is between themselves and the purchaser" when I asked if the warranty was transferrable they said "No.".

I am going to get the receipt from the previous purchaser but I think this is pretty poor form if theyre going to maintain that they arent going to warranty a 3 month old product.

I let the steam run for 4 solid minutes last night as per their FAQ and that didnt help any. When I turn the machine off and open the valve it blows REALLY hard for a couple of seconds. Its like the electronics are controlling the steam power down.

I think the problem is that sometimes the steam power is great, but then can just drop off to crap and so surfing is virtually impossible. The whirlpool I got on my old 3800 was actually better than I get on the 6910 when I think about it.

Will keep you guys updated.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6D78787B6363706D6C020 link=1236770389/5#5 date=1236820428
    Im in Perth.

I just got off the phone with Sunbeam and their response that scared me was "Their relationship is between themselves and the purchaser" when I asked if the warranty was transferrable they said "No.".

I am going to get the receipt from the previous purchaser but I think this is pretty poor form if theyre going to maintain that they arent going to warranty a 3 month old product.

I let the steam run for 4 solid minutes last night as per their FAQ and that didnt help any. When I turn the machine off and open the valve it blows REALLY hard for a couple of seconds. Its like the electronics are controlling the steam power down.

I think the problem is that sometimes the steam power is great, but then can just drop off to crap and so surfing is virtually impossible. The whirlpool I got on my old 3800 was actually better than I get on the 6910 when I think about it.

Will keep you guys updated.
    1: Your in Perth and it has a Name for water problems... *If the previous owner did not manage their water quality... Scale and any number of other issues could have been introduced.

2: Very few companies will manage the transfer of Warranty.... *In most cases the fine print clearly mentions that fact... *While in some states it may be covered under other forms of protection, if there is a major problem / recall. * For standard warranty..... *It is often a different matter.

I think the problem is that sometimes the steam power is great, but then can just drop off to crap
    Typical of crap in the system... *

I have a post that explains how to pull apart and clean... * Will find the link when I get home to night.. *If you do not find it first.

** http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1232674232 NOTE: Attempt the correct cleaning procedure FIRST.. My last ditched method is just that... ****

PS. *What is the 3 digit code that is stamped into the black label in side to door at the back ?

Quote Originally Posted by 77585153447B57585751535B535842360 link=1236770389/6#6 date=1236834470
    2: Very few companies will manage the transfer of Warranty....In most cases the fine print clearly mentions that fact...While in some states it may be covered under other forms of protection, if there is a major problem / recall. For standard warranty.....It is often a different matter.

Yep, most warranties only apply to the original purchaser.... once sold it no longer has a warranty (regardless of what the seller claims)..... The exception seems to be site sponsors here who will often transfer the warranty to the new owners - although they are no obliged to!

As AM said, water here in Perth is absolutely disgusting... by far the hardest water in Australia.... and if the previous owner didnt soften the water.... the machine will be full of scale (which wouldnt be covered by warranty in any case as it is "user abuse" and excluded from warranty claims...)

Looks like you will have to do some end user maintenance (following AMs instructions).

And anyone else contemplating purchasing a second hand machine here in Perth.... check very carefully how the previous owner used the machine - scale here is a huge problem.... especially with thermoblock machines.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6843544360220 link=1236770389/7#7 date=1236834977
    And anyone else contemplating purchasing a second hand machine here in Perth.... check very carefully how the previous owner used the machine - scale here is a huge problem.... especially with thermoblock machines.
    JavaB - Fully Concur.

I would suggest that ANY second hand unit will be suspect to previous maintenance issues.. Further more with out some understanding and or trust with teh seller... Then let the buyer beware.

Damn, I had just always assumed that warranty was transferable.

Currently descaling and following the instructions youve posted AngerManagement. If that doesnt work Ill call SB tomorrow and see what the go is.

Thanks for the help guys. Feeling quite disappointed right now.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 746161627A7A6974751B0 link=1236770389/9#9 date=1236848433
    Currently descaling and following the instructions youve posted AngerManagement. If that doesnt work Ill call SB tomorrow and see what the go is.

I have had some luck with the de scaling and doing it via the steam wand etc.... But have had to the strip down and manually purge etc on two others... Both were good outcomes..

Takes some time... But with a little care all is OK...

Could someone tell me what colour the stuff in the Anti Calc filter is suposed to be? Mine is brownish.

A_M

Is when it is wet :D

Recommend you remove before adding all the de scaling stuff...

Then flush the tank, with some clean water... Then put it back in and try you machine...

You should replace every 3 - 6 months depending on if your using tap water or filtered water.

ofcourse, if you can get the receipt from the person you bought it from, provided they havent registered with Sunbeam, how are they to know who the "original" owner was?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6B5D56594C574A380 link=1236770389/13#13 date=1236852099
    ofcourse, if you can get the receipt from the person you bought it from, provided they havent registered with Sunbeam, how are they to know who the "original" owner was?
    Thats always a possibility... However as JavaB and I have indicated...

If it is scale and comes down to a user issue... SB still do not have to come to the party..

Then again, I do not condone miss representation either ;)

Hey Angermanagement, I tried your tricks to do before pulling apart the machine and it works!

I reckon maybe one more treatment just to be sure but its steaming like a little champ now! The pressure is also consistent and only takes like 2-3secs from a complete standing start to get to pretty much full flow. If its already been flushed then its like 1 second and shes blasting away :)

Very happy, very very happy :)

Thanks guys, now the milk texturing issue can be all about me ... :P

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7663636078786B7677190 link=1236770389/15#15 date=1236855307
    Hey Angermanagement, I tried your tricks to do before pulling apart the machine and it works!

I reckon maybe one more treatment just to be sure but its steaming like a little champ now! The pressure is also consistent and only takes like 2-3secs from a complete standing start to get to pretty much full flow. If its already been flushed then its like 1 second and shes blasting away :)

Very happy, very very happy :)

Thanks guys, now the milk texturing issue can be all about me ... :P

I am sure that JavaB and others will take strength from your experience...

I must thank you, for getting back and posting.... As it is only via your return, that we know if our guidance and recommendations were on the nose..

It is also good to know that you only had to take some time to do a full ds scale (include steam wand and take care as per instructions) *to get your self running... *The other method is a last ditch effort...

Next thing you know, you will comment that the milk *has a problem... *Yep, plenty of posts on that matter as well.

AM

Quote Originally Posted by 456A63617649656A65636169616A70040 link=1236770389/14#14 date=1236853115
    Quote Originally Posted by 6B5D56594C574A380 link=1236770389/13#13 date=1236852099

Then again, I do not condone miss representation either *;)
    I dont either, but if a product is only 3 months old, why should it matter to SB if its the original owner or not, surely they should stand behind their product, not the original owner.

But, good news that the problem is solved and you are enjoying your machine

Sen

My current EM6910 (replacement for faulty one) has had this issue since new; the steam volume rises and falls, but the lowest volume is still quite strong. I suspect this is indicative of a dying steam pump, but perhaps the machine is reconditioned rather than new, and has some scale buildup? Might give it a descale just in case...