Thread: Looking for a good manual machine

Looking for a good manual machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I am looking at buying a manual home espresso machine. Looking at spending about $1200, not to much more.

We were looking at the Kitchen Aid but have seen mixed reviews, it seems that we can get something just as good for a much lower price, or something better for the same?

What seems to separate the kitchen aid from the others is the two boilers. Is it worth the price?

Any help or recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Looking for a good manual machine

I believe the KA is a rebadged (and overpriced gaggia). You can do much better.

The answer to your question depends upon your anticipated usage. How many coffees in a session? How many of these are milk based?

Additionally, do you have a decent grinder already? Most people here will suggest that its the most important factor (or at least the most overlooked). Ideally you would spend $300-$800 on one. Looking in the for sale section on this site can find you some good deals.

hope that helps,

sd

Quote Originally Posted by 032A32272E32140E4B0 link=1237079318/0#0 date=1237079318
    I am looking at buying a manual home espresso machine.Looking at spending about $1200, not to much more.

We were looking at the Kitchen Aid but have seen mixed reviews, it seems that we can get something just as good for a much lower price, or something better for the same?

That sort of money will also get you a
    Silvia with PID or
    VBM Piccolo (Levetta) (if you twist a sponsors arm)

KK

We would be making around 2-4 coffees a session, most likely just the two though. Maybe both milk based but maybe not.

We have heard some good things about the Silva.

We are definitely looking at getting a good grinder too!

I cant recall that anyone here owns a Kitchen Aid.
    Enough said?

Quote Originally Posted by 1C203D262C2D3A2F272C480 link=1237079318/4#4 date=1237096956
    Enough said?
    I agree, we initially looked at it as we have another of their products, but after a bit of research we will be steering clear of it! It seem there are much better options out there!

Silvia/Rocky combos will suit you current needs nicely (vbm piccolo will do it better ;)) and come at around your budget, or you could look at the Compak K3 grinder as a better grinder alternative.

TC

Hi Hayley,

You may be interested in our VBM Piccolo demo unit. Paired with a good grinder, great beans and sound technique, youll get a terrific result! http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/3#3

regards

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 6458455E545542575F54300 link=1237079318/4#4 date=1237096956
    Enough said?
    Just because you and most others here dont own one means very little in the way of quality and performance. Most people on here own Sunbeams and they sure arent much to brag about.

I own and proudly use a KitchenAid Pro Line every day and it rocks. I dont know why some complain about the cost either, as Ive seen new ones for around $400 USD.

It is made by Gaggia for KA and is basically a Classic with double the components. The steam boiler is a nice touch because you can brew/steam as fast as you can and the machine will keep up. This also keeps the temperature deadband very tight and no PID is needed.

Its well built, being all die-cast aluminum and steel and has alot of nice features for the $$$. The performance is there too. I use a La Marzocco Linea at work and the shots I pull on my Pro Line are pretty much on par with what I get at work using the same beans. Of course the PL wont crank out 50-100 shots each hour, but its not meant to anyway. For the $$$ you really cant go wrong with it. Beats a Sunbeam anyday. Later!