Thread: EM6910 Espresso Pressure Bouncing/Changing

EM6910 Espresso Pressure Bouncing/Changing

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I did a clean of my machine and took off the shower and scrubed it all and put it back together. I stupidly didnt take much notice of the order of it all as I didnt expect to find a second filter inside of the shower head. The two other coffee machines I had didnt have this.

When I put it back together it only seemed to go one way but now when I pour a shot the pressure builds and then it seems to bounce over teh courseo f the shot a few times. Itll build up pressure the drop off, build and drop off and you can see this on the guage and in the large bubbles coming through in the pour.

Im wondering if anyone has experienced this? Do I need to run the pump a bunch? Does this sound liek air in it or something?

Before the clean everything was fine.

Thanks ... again! :P

Re: EM6910 Espresso Pressure Bouncing/Changing

Put the dual floor filter into your PF (dont load it with any coffee) and run a shot, does it still bounce?

Also, I assume that you arent getting coffee / water leaking anywhere, that is usually the tell tale sign that you havet put it back together properly.

"Normally" when mine bounces around, its because there is too much resistence (coffee too fine / too much coffee) and coarsening the grind / reducing the amount in the PF eliminates this problem.

Sen

This is the order/direction it goes back together......you didnt put that inner screen in upside down perchance?

I saw somewhere her to check the pressure using the dual floor so I tried that and it very smoothly moves up to about 12 oclock and just stays there consistently with a tiny amount of fluctuation.

With the single floor it moves up to pressure then proceeds to bounce up and down every second or two cyclicly.

I tried shots before that choked the machine, but it is almost like its relieving pressure than building up over and over again. You can see teh flow stop temporarily giving rise to bubbles in the crema as it comes through.

I did fine up the grind and start tamping a bit more loosely. I will take some photos of how I put together the screens tonight. However if I remember the internal screen has a rim so I am pretty sure I put it so that there is no space between the screens. It felt that if I put it so that there was some space in between teh screens then tightened the screw it would bow the internal screen.

If someone could just confirm for me how the two screens go together that would be awesome.

Im not seeing any leaking and there is still teh relief after the shot is finished and the pucks are still dry and come basically straight out.

Looks like I have something to test when I get home though with the grinding and tamping.

Thanks wilsy! I think that is the order I put it back together, but Ill check again tonight.

I tried putting two full cycles of water through (about 1L I think) just to make sure there werent any air bubbles.

Ill check it out again tonight I thought Id see if anyone had experienced this and had the answer :)

I will let you know how I go tonight!

You guys are the guys :)

I just pulled it apart, put it back together (I had it the correct way around) and just made sure it was all clean and slick.

One thing I did make sure was to screw it in tighter this time. It wasnt super tight to get apart so I thought Id not put it in super tight. This time I did it up tighter.

Then made sure the grind was set well and tamped well and did a shot. I got perhaps one of the best pours Ive ever seen. It finished with about 90% of the shot glass being beautiful crema and settling out ot about 5mm of crema. Tastes amazing and the needle sat beautifully at just past 12oclock. I got exactly 30mL in exactly 25 secs (well 1 mississipi, two etc as I count it :)...).

So I guess the outcome to this one is just to pull it apart, put back together and just make sure your grind and so on is on song. It may have been some play between the screens due to the screw looseness. Im not sure. It wasnt loose as such, just probably 1/4 turn of really tight.

All good now though :) Thanks blokes!!