Thread: Need reliability ....... replacing a Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM8800

Need reliability ....... replacing a Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM8800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Currently have a Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM8800 ...... biggest piece of junk Ive ever bought ....... had it for 2.5 years and has now broken down 4 times including having the brewer unit replaced once, thermoblock replaced twice, power PCB replaced once and numerous other problems. *>:(

Sunbeam have been very very unhelpful, simply claiming it is out of warranty (the first two repairs were under warranty) and it is now my problem ....... still in talks but not holding out much hope. *::)

Am in the market for a replacement ........... not going anywhere near Sunbeam ............ currently looking at a Delonghi but need advice on what you have found to be a good machine ............. usually use it daily to make only cappucinos for myself and then either once or twice a day .................. may use it to make 5+ coffees at a time when we have visitors but doesnt happen all the time .................. Im a reasonable man (when Ive had my caffeine hit) I simply want something that is reliable (after the last 2.5 years)

Budget up to $1500 .................... looking at Delonghi, Saeco and anything else that you can recommend as reliable and decent ;D

Re: Need reliability ....... replacing a Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM8800

You could get a new Silvia/Rocky combo for less than that!!

Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo (Levetta) are about that price for CS members at a Sponsors web site.

<................................ ;)

reliability and super-autos are "generally" something not discussed positively in the same sentence it seems on this board, although from what I have seen, the Jura range do seem to be the best of the bunch.

the vbm piccolo or silvia/rocky combo will come in at around budget and last decades if treated well.

If you go with the vbm you would need to pair it with a good grinder...ideally $300-$800 in order to allow the vbm to perform properly. the Compak K3 seems to be a good purchase for around $500.

Either combo will suit your needs.

Re the superautos - the Jura is often touted here at CS, I think through hearsay rather than any personal experience. There are others that work at least as well and do a similar job. They all need regular maintenance, as does any coffee equipment, and you need to understand that you are dealing with a very complex piece of computerised, mechanical equipment that grinds, tamps, pours, in some cases heats and texturises milk, discards puck, etc. etc. It *may* not take much for it to stop in its tracks and its off to the service centre.

The VBM Piccolo coupled with a K3T will blow your budget, though they are well worth the $s. Its been a while since the K3T was $500. ;) Am not sure if its still available, but I think Chris from Talk Coffee had a VBM demo on sale at an excellent price.

The Silvia/Rocky is a good combo that will come in well within your budget though dont have the grunt of the VBM combo. You get what you pay for with either.

And either package will require a learning curve, though once you get the hang of them, make great coffee.

Cheers!

As said, if you want reliability, steer clear of the auto machines. Waaaay too many moving parts and potential breakdowns.

Manuals machines give much more of an overall coffee experience anyway.

Chris

$0.02

The question needs to be asked
    Do you want convenience of an automatic machine that makes you a coffee of reasonable quality at a push of a button

Have you considered or are aware of manual & semi auto machines
    These machines do require a separate grinder and a hands on coffee making routine but the coffee is a lot better

In the end its your decision but what ever your choice its important that you use fresh roasted beans *

If you choose an auto make sure the beans are not roasted to an oily sheen as this may cause clogging in the mechanism

KK

thanks, think Im going to give the automatic machines a miss, more than happy to do the hard yards with a manual and reap the rewards *;)

wouldnt mind having a look at a Silvia/Rocky combo - anyone able to recommend a decent provider both in terms of point of sale service as well as after sale support and service??? *Currently live on the Central Coast NSW so somewhere around there or northern suburbs of Sydney??? *:)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 517360737F777E5E73666677120 link=1237274529/8#8 date=1237361264
    thanks, think Im going to give the automatic machines a miss, more than happy to do the hard yards with a manual and reap the rewards *;)

wouldnt mind having a look at a Silvia/Rocky combo - anyone able to recommend a decent provider both in terms of point of sale service as well as after sale support and service??? *Currently live on the Central Coast NSW so somewhere around there or northern suburbs of Sydney??? *:)

Hi CK,

DiBartoli and Jetblack (site sponsors <<<<<<) both sell the Silvia and are in your neck of the woods. Lots of other sponsors sell the combo as well.

Another option (a big step up) would be to look at a VBM DOmobar Piccolo. I believe that there will be a 2nd hand one for sale in here in the not too distant future...

Happy shopping

If you are looking at VBM and live in the Central Coast check out Espresso Coffee store ( closed weekends) directly across Bunnings West Gosford they have VBM, Isomac, and Acaso. I believe the Kookaburra Espress Cafe inside Kincumber Shops had some quality machines on display. Just caught a glimpse in passing. Hope that helps.
    Good Luck

Hi,

I have had a Jura S95 since 2000. It has been a great machine, always making the coffee exactly how I like it. Sure it took a while to calibrate it to my taste (about 15 minutes and 4 or 5 cups of coffee).

I must admit that I have never had it serviced (due to laziness) but it hasnt missed a beat having made 5561 cups (I know how many, because it keeps count and tells which type have been issued). This particular machine allows the calibration for 3 types; mug, short, long. It has adjustment for water and powder quantity for each of the settings. It has an in-built grinder which is adjustable and grinds the coffee as it should. You can also have tea portion (ie an adjustable amount of water dispensed for tea).

As for the results, always consistently how I like it, which is more than I can say for most cafe or restaurants I go to.

I hope this helps.