Thread: Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo

Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Gday Team!

Im new on here so be gentle... hahaha

Just after some advice on the Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo. Im in the market for a new machine and Im thinking its about time I upgrade from my trusty sunbeam thats going on 5 years old which produces ok but not great shots. Is this a good machine to upgrade my skills on?(currently at better than beginner - not quite intermediate if you know what I mean!) Looking at spending $1300-1500 max. I already have a grinder that will suffice for now.

I only drink non milk base and my wife drinks mach/caps depending on her mood.

Any advice info would be great

Cheers

dane

Re: Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo

Its a great little machine. *I have owned my for 9 months now and dont regret it at all. *For your budget its definitely the best option. *

However, it is, as you know, only a single boiler machine. *I use it for both milk based drinks and espresso, like yourself. *It copes fine with 3 double shots (poured back to back) followed with enough steam for 6 regular sized drinks. *This is its maximum capacity and I dont use it like that very often (once every couple of weeks). *If you need to regularly do more than that it will take longer because of the need to refill the boiler and have it come down to brewing temp.

Your espresso will be greatly improved but give it a little time as you learn the ropes and adjust your methods etc.

and welcome to CS!

sd

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 24212E25222F3539400 link=1237606013/0#0 date=1237606013
    Gday Team!

Im new on here so be gentle... hahaha

Just after some advice on the Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo. Im in the market for a new machine and Im thinking its about time I upgrade from my trusty sunbeam thats going on 5 years old which produces ok but not great shots. Is this a good machine to upgrade my skills on?(currently at better than beginner - not quite intermediate if you know what I mean!) Looking at spending $1300-1500 max. I already have a grinder that will suffice for now.

I only drink non milk base and my wife drinks mach/caps depending on her mood.

Any advice info would be great

Cheers

dane
    Hi Dane,

The Piccolo is a great machine and will do you well as you learn. Its far easier to get consistent results from than the Silvia.

We have the Piccolo on special this month and you will get change from your budget.

Included are coffee, backwash detergent, blind filter, use and care notes and most importantly, temperature calibration using our Scace device (normally $100). This is essential as there is quite some variation as they come from the factory...

We had a demo model which sold this morning but we have more brand new stock.

You are most welcome to call if youd like to discuss the Piccolo.

Chris

The only thing I dont like about my VBM is the lag between the time I pull the first shot and when Im ready to pour the milk for latte (typically 2 milk drinks in the morning...). After shot, approx. 1 min 15 sec before the wand stops sputtering and ready to steam, then time spent steaming milk, then purging wand and priming boiler. Typically this equates to over 3 minutes and by then much of the crema from that first shot has dissapated. The second shot is great as the milk is ready (still warm) and I can pour immediately after shot has been pulled. Not a Piccolo problem, just the type of machine. Perhaps all that is needed is an adjustment to my routine. Milk first, then cooling flush, then shots... *:-?

Not a big deal, but something worth considering.

Hey all,

Took the plunge and picked up a Piccolo second hand off a fellow CS. Got a new Pullman deluxe Tamper (checkerboard) and some new cups so hanging out for it to arrive to take it for a spin.

Next step is to upgrade from the EM0480...

Cheers

Dane

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Ive owned mine for just over 6 months and Im quite happy. If you havent already done so, have a good read through the forums for someuseful info on operating the Veeb Piccolo/Levetta/Vaschetta. The Sunbeam grinder will do you well enough until you save for a really good grinder. I recommend looking for something over $600 - the Compak K# Touch is good value for money but a few of us Piccolo owners have Mazzer Minis, not suggesting this is the ideal grinder.

My Piccolo arrived today (Cheers Bucshy! - Very well packed, no chance of any breakage). I got a kilo of Yemem Ismali today so I will probably have a late night playing around with the machine.

*****RIP Sunbeam Cafe Crema*****
    2004-2009
    You have served me well, but not well enough... :(

Quote Originally Posted by 6F6A656E69647E720B0 link=1237606013/6#6 date=1239183275
    I got a kilo of Yemem Ismali today so I will probably have a late night playing around with the machine.
    Dont take to long to calibrate the new Piccolo danebouy
    That Yemen its to good to waste ;)

KK

KK - Didnt take long! First 2 went down the sink before then it was game on! Rich smooth toffee flavours!!! mmmmm

So happy with my decision - the piccolo is a beautiful machine in comparison to the sunbeam (not hard!)