Thread: Advice on need for single or dual boiler for home

Advice on need for single or dual boiler for home

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, *Have sent this off to the site sponsors but thought I would post here for discussion.

We currently have a 1st generation Subeam 6910 (repaired under warranty and still working!! so I think we have been lucky)

At this time we are not looking to buy a replacement machine as the Sunbeam is still going but it has started playing up every now and again so you never know.

Anyway, this is our second machine (cant remember what the first one was...something cheaper again than the Sunbeam) and we have been happy with one feature on the Sunbeam which is the twin thermoblock.

I always found it was a pain years ago with our first machine that was a single thermoblock to have to be so careful with temperature and not burning the coffee after making milk if we had more coffees to make
    Also love being able to froth milk at the same time as doing the extraction as it saves a few important seconds in the morning, but that feature could always be lived without.

I find I make a lot of flat whites (for myself and my wife) and hot chocolates for the child so all up more milky drinks than straight Espressos though I do make those sometimes for myself.
    Milk is almost always being made though so that is an important thing for us.

Ignoring advice around beans and grinders etc as I am pretty well versed on those subjects as I have been reading over these forums for a little while now.

The question though, on any other machines that use a single boiler that are in the $700+ price range new.
    Am I going to have the same issue I had with the single thermo block machine years ago where I am going to have to be so careful of temperature and flush water back through the head when someone else in the house asks for a coffee after I have made the milk for a hot chocolate?

Or do the machines with a single boiler in this price range not have quite this same problem we had in the past with the cheaper thermoblock machines.

Very curious on this issue as it is the ONE (only one, but a big one) of the main things that will decide to go with another Sunbeam one day in the future rather than look at other possibilities such as a Silvia.

Thanks for any advice.

A_M

Re: Advice on need for single or dual boiler for home

Quote Originally Posted by 7D6A6F37393E0E0 link=1238072157/0#0 date=1238072157
    Hi, *Have sent this off to the site sponsors but thought I would post here for discussion.

We currently have a 1st generation Subeam 6910 (repaired under warranty and still working!! so I think we have been lucky)

At this time we are not looking to buy a replacement machine as the Sunbeam is still going but it has started playing up every now and again so you never know.

Anyway, this is our second machine (cant remember what the first one was...something cheaper again than the Sunbeam) and we have been happy with one feature on the Sunbeam which is the twin thermoblock.

I always found it was a pain years ago with our first machine that was a single thermoblock to have to be so careful with temperature and not burning the coffee after making milk if we had more coffees to make
    Also love being able to froth milk at the same time as doing the extraction as it saves a few important seconds in the morning, but that feature could always be lived without.

I find I make a lot of flat whites (for myself and my wife) and hot chocolates for the child so all up more milky drinks than straight Espressos though I do make those sometimes for myself.
    Milk is almost always being made though so that is an important thing for us.

Ignoring advice around beans and grinders etc as I am pretty well versed on those subjects as I have been reading over these forums for a little while now.

The question though, on any other machines that use a single boiler that are in the $700+ price range new.
    Am I going to have the same issue I had with the single thermo block machine years ago where I am going to have to be so careful of temperature and flush water back through the head when someone else in the house asks for a coffee after I have made the milk for a hot chocolate?

Or do the machines with a single boiler in this price range not have quite this same problem we had in the past with the cheaper thermoblock machines.

Very curious on this issue as it is the ONE (only one, but a big one) of the main things that will decide to go with another Sunbeam one day in the future rather than look at other possibilities such as a Silvia.

Thanks for any advice.
    Welcome to CS..

It was a pleasure to read a well thought out and presented post.... Further more you also clearly highlighted the requirements around milk.... I would also suggest that there are any number of other users in exactly the same boat...

The following has been suggested in another post, but as I have had not direct experiance... I can not comment..

Quote Originally Posted by 1B36323E335F0 link=1237515714/9#9 date=1237624204
    2. Nemox/Mokita/Quaha <<<<< You forgot to include

Quote Originally Posted by 6473762E2027170 link=1238072157/0#0 date=1238072157

I believe you will have the same problem with any single boiler machine. *There will always be a waiting period for the grouphead to cool back down to brewing temperature.

Based on your intended use, I think you should be considering only heat exchanger (HX) or double boiler machines.

Jim

TC

Hi sda and welcome,

I agree with Jims opinion.

Your brief indicates that milk is of high importance and the irritation of the cooling flush (and boiler prime) after you have textured milk. This wont change with a dual purpose single boiler machine.

Given that you are about to purchase your third machine, I recommend that you should set your sights on the machine you need rather than another machine which doesnt really meet your requirements. Make it the last one you buy as you lose every time you upgrade.

We have a good range of single boiler machines, but I also recommend a step up to a HX machine.

You are most welcome to come in and have a look over our range or give me a buzz to discuss some options- both HX and single boiler.

Chris

I have the VBM Domobar Piccolo--a single boiler machine.

I have no difficulties with steaming milk, BUT, I only VERY occasionally steam more than 200 ml, and NEVER go back to coffee immediately after steaming. It does take time to heat up to steaming (less than 60 sec.) and time to cool down afterwards (never timed).

IMO, your requirements would seem to mandate an HX or dual boiler.

Greg