Thread: FYI - New Rancilio Silvia 2009 Model

FYI - New Rancilio Silvia 2009 Model

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just for everyones information there is a new model coming out as I understand, in the 1st Week of April. There are a few minor cosmetic changes, different Group handle and a better Steaming wand including the now infamous 3 holes.

Ive been looking around for a Rancilio and have noted that in many cases the older model is higher priced than the new model coming out and in some cases the new model is only about $50 more. Being confused with the whole pricing structure, I decided to purchase the 2009 model, at least its somewhere in between the older model lower and higher range.

Ill try and find the 2009 model info....

Daniel.

Re: FYI - New Rancilio Silvia 2009 Model

Description
    One of our best sellers In the NEW 2009 EDITION, the Rancilio Silvia 2009 is a machine thats reputation speaks for itself. With nearly five years of solid performance, the Silvia is one of the most highly recognized semi-automatic machines in the business. To ensure heat retention and lasting quality, the Silvia features a forged marine brass portafilter, group head, and boiler. The large 12-ounce boiler also allows for steam capacity that is unparalleled by other machines at this size and price. An iron frame, housed by brushed stainless steel, provides durability as well as sleek, Italian style. Miss Silvia takes a little bit of time and patience to master, but once you do youll never want to use anything else. As one of our customers said, "Superior performance, superior construction, superior period. This machine is worth it."
    Being the classy lady that she is, Silvia 2009 is a little picky about the grind that you use with her. We highly recommend pairing this machine with a top-quality burr grinder such as the Rancilio Rocky or Gaggia MDF. Be sure to take a look at our Rancilio packages, and get some great deals on a complete espresso bar. The intuitive interface, close up photos, and narrated videos will guide you through every procedure in great detail. This machine also comes with a 7 gram coffee scoop, a plastic tamper, and two filter baskets (single and double). Right now, this fine machine also comes with an extended warranty that provides you with two years of protection.

If all of these features werent enough, the Silvia 2009 is now ESE pod-adaptable! If you would like the option to use convenient Easy Serve Espresso pods with your Silvia, a pod-adapter kit can be purchased separately for you to install on your machine.
    As an upgrade option we have developed a special steam tip for Miss Silvia 2009 as well. It is a 3 hole commercial tip that comes complete with an adapter. This tip has been thoroughly tested to make sure that it matches up with the boiler capacity. Matching a steam tip to an espresso machine is a delicate balance between releasing steam too quickly, which will heat the milk to quickly, or too slowly, which will not generate enough velocity to texture the milk properly. So, if you are ready to froth like a pro then you should consider this adapter set as the way to go.
    Some of the most crucial elements for producing high quality espresso are influenced by the Style, Size and Construction of the portafilter. Style: This portafilter is designed like a commercial machine and works in the same way. The coffee is ground fine and is tamped (pressed) firmly into place. Size: The size of the portafilter is also the same as a commercial machine. Is has a large diameter (58 mm) so that the water is distributed evenly over a wide surface area. Construction: The portafilter is made up of two parts, the handle and the filter holder. The handle is made of high quality plastic. The heavy chrome plated brass filter holder keeps the temperature stable throughout the entire brewing process, therefore producing a quality cup of espresso.
    This is the portion of the machine that the portafilter locks into. It is made of chrome plated marine brass which provides a superior brewing environment through maximum heat stability and component longevity.
    Boiler. The Silvia 2009 s boiler is made of marine grade brass and has the largest volume of any home machine in its class. This large volume produces the best steaming power and recycle time when brewing multiple espressos. The brass construction resists pitting and scale build up for long lasting durability.
    The three-way solenoid valve is a commercial feature that relieves the water pressure off the coffee when the brew switch is turned off. This serves two functions; it dries out the coffee to prevent dripping and makes it easy to knock the coffee out of the portafilter with one knock.
    The Silvia has the same switches as their famed S20 series commercial units. There are four snap-acting rocker arm switches. The main power switch is located in the center by itself. When this is turned on the heating element is activated. A separate orange ready light will then turn on. When the light goes off the machine is at operating temperature. The top left switch operates the pump and is also known as the brew switch. Turn on to start the brewing process and off when you are done. The middle button on the left is for dispensing hot water. The bottom left switch activates the steam function. When this is turned on the boiler will heat up to steam temperature. Then turn the steam/water knob located on the side of the machine and start frothing.
    Preheating your cups is very important. The Silvia has a cup warmer that will hold up to six espresso cups. It is a passive type heater which means it is heated from the residual heat of the boiler.
    If you want hot water for any reason, be it hot chocolate, tea or Americanos it is very easy to do. Just turn on the pump (brew) switch and open the steam knob. Hot water will start to stream out.
    The Silvia comes equipped with a stainless steel steam wand. It is a single hole style and does not have any type of frothing attachment. With this type of wand it takes a little more skill but is very durable and gives you excellent control. The steam wand does get hot, so wipe it off as soon as you are done so the milk will not stick to it.

The large removable 2 quart reservoir can be refilled from the top any time during the operation, allowing for an endless supply of coffee or steam.
    Thermostat and Safety Switches
    The Silvia has three temperature controls. There are two thermostats and one high limit. There is one thermostat for maintaining brewing temperature and one for maintaining steaming temperature. The high limit will turn off the power to the boiler in the event of a malfunction. This prevents the boiler from overheating. The high limit switch can be reset and does not have to be replaced if activated.
    Housing Construction
    The construction of this unit is second to none. The frame that supports the unit is made of heavy iron. The exterior casing, drip pan and drip tray are made of high quality stainless steel. Not only is the Silvia rock solid and easy to clean, it also fits in perfectly with todays high-end kitchen appliances.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

Dimensions:L 290mm P 235mm H 340mm
    Power: 230V 50/60Hz 1100W
    Water tank: 2,5 liters
    Weight: 14 Kg

Included:

1-cup filter
    2-cup filter
    Measuring scoop and coffee-tamper

TC

hmm...to precis that, there is a 3 hole tip (optional with that particular vendor) available for the silvia and nothing else has changed *yawn* *:P

:DBut wait theres more. :D
    The handle and knob are different.

Here are some pictures of the "new" 2009 Silvia:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58861586@N00/sets/72157614472079000/

:)

The handle looks ok. Seems a little too modern for the style of the machine. Same for the steam knob, but that just looks gaudy and doesnt suit at all.

Glad I got the previous model. :)

The kick down on the end of the handle may allow the PF to sit level on the bench. 3 hole steam tip is that an advantage, single hole seems to work OK for me.

Our latest import has just been unloaded in the yard. Had been wondering if they would be the the very latest or not as the order left Milano in February.

The box tells you straight up its the NEW model, and here is a photo shoot of the unveiling a few minutes ago.

Regardz,
    Attilio.

Oh by the way I think we might put a special CS price on the last of the previous import so watch our space in the sponsor section. *We timed it well and there are problably only a handful of those machines left which wll represent good luck for CSers looking for a Silvia.

The gist of the external changes.

The pipe is ball jointed.

Havent turned it on so dont know how the steamability compares to the previous model (although we couldnt see any probelm with the previous model).

Silvia owners will want to know if the new ball jointed arm will go straight on to the "old" model or does the tap need changing. Maybe a dealer can check it out when time permits.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 657A70617C727E7661130 link=1238124492/9#9 date=1239071289
    Silvia owners will want to know if the new ball jointed arm will go straight on to the "old" model or does the tap need changing.
    They should also want to know whether the new tip is as easy to use as the old tip - which was a fantastic tip for beginners and pros alike.

charlie

Have not checked but I think you will find that a compete tap graft would be required.

Attilio

how difficult and costly is the complete tap graft?? I have just brought one 2 weeks ago, not knowing of the new model :(- but I like to old better accept for the new wand- personal preference though! :D

Dont know, will have to look inside and see how many changes there are to accommodate the new tap.

For your own peace of mind let me just say I didnt have a problem with the previous model, and will repeat I cant tell if the new steam arrangement is an improvement in steamability / frothability on what was already really good until I actually turn it on and put it through its paces. Maybe tomorrow.

Hope this helps,
    Attilio.

Have just done an internal visual inspection.

All seems identical to the previous model except for the steam tap.

Yes it looks like the new steam tap will screw straight onto the mount in the previous model after you remove the old tap.

It doesnt look like you would have to relieve (enlarge) the exit holes in the front plate (for the new knob) or the bottom plate (for the steam pipe lock nut) as the new fittings seem to be the same size as for the old (note I did not measure, just visual).

Just finished a preliminary milk texturing excercise on the new one.

The ony difference (if any) we can see between the new one and the old, is new one seems to be releasing a softer steam due to the new 3 hole configuration.

All that means is that someone going from an old silvia to a new one would need to adjust their milk texturing technique slightly.

I cant see an improvement in the steamability itself, just a difference in the delivery from the old VS the new machine. What is an improvement for those that want it, is the ability to turn the steam pipe in any direction within the limits imposed by the new ball joint.

So yes, an improvement to what I think is already the best sub $1000.00 machine on the market.

I did not make coffee.

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    first CS site sponsor.

Site Sponsor

Weve been training already few people on their 09 Silvia and wish to share few observations / updates:

-As Atilio mentioned, the only improvement noticed in Performance was with its steam. The ball join steam arm makes it easier for the novice to adjust the steam arm angle in relation to the milk in the jug. Additionally, the 3 holes tip does seem to allow a faster whirlpool achievement by distributing steam pressure more evenly.

- Well have all spare parts available for conversion Shorty. The new Steam Knob and Handle are available now, though for the arm conversion, youd need not only the new steam arm, but a new steam tap as well, which still yet to arrive. It also looks that with the new spare parts prices, a complete upgrade will exceed $200... :(

With any questions on particular parts, PM, email to: ofra@dibartoli.com.au or ring on 02 9389 9892.

All new parts will be available in few weeks online in the Rancilio Parts page: www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=48 *

Ofra

From what I experienced, I believe the old one hole tip is so much easier to texture milk with. *You can build up the whirlpool quite easily as the steam (super charged up power) is pushing the milk in only one direction adding more momentum to the swirl – end result, fine textured milk. *Whereas, on the new 3 holes tip, if you don’t get the initial whirlpool momentum, then its game over!! *The foam will still builds up but there will be a milk/foam layer separation *- I think I need more practice.

Any chance, I can change just the wand tip from 3 holes to 1 hole – (not the whole steam arm/tap). - The thicker steam arm is sexier than the old model. *:P

I dunno. I find it much easier to get a good whirlpool on a 4 hole commercial tip (attached to a commercial machine) then on the one hole tip on my silvia. Ive had no experience with the new silvia tip so cant comment on that.