Thread: Options for new espresso machine Sunbeam, Breville, Silvia or other?

Options for new espresso machine Sunbeam, Breville, Silvia or other?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Coffeesnobs,
    Looking for advice on domestic machines. Were only looking to spend around $800 and are considering:

Sunbeam 6910 or Breville BES860 or Rancilio Silvia.

We only make 1-2 coffees per day and want both good espresso and latte. We want a small footprint. Dont want fully automatic as like the experience of making the coffee.

If anyone has any opinions about these options - or others in the same price range, then Id love to hear from you.

Cheers

Re: Options for new espresso machine Sunbeam, Breville, Silvia or other?

Welcome FF40ish.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Rather than consider any of the "appliance" type of machines for this sort of money... Sunbeam, Breville et al... Why not have a look at a great little machine called the Nemox Fenice. They can be acquired from one of our Site Sponsors here... Coffee Machine Express and one model includes a grinder built-in as well. These machines are built to a high standard and will last you a lifetime of use with only a modicum of basic maintenance applied by their owners.

Well worth a look in my opinion. If you opt for a discrete espresso machine (without grinder) make sure you also budget for a decent grinder other wise it wont matter what quality of machine you end up with. Great beans, freshly roasted and only ground immediately before brewing will ensure that great coffee can be yours, providing you do your part too of course.... :)

All the best,
    Mal.

Hey FF40 - ish

I can only comment on the 6910, having not used either of your other choices....

We upgraded from the lower specd EM4800c, and as a yardstick for what an EM6910 can do, one of my best mates has an Isomac La Mondiale and is quite impressed with the capabilities of the 6910.

That is a reasonably good wrap in my books as he lives in out there HX land.

My only criticism of the 6910 is a slight lack of horsepower on the steam wand - it could do with a larger pump/thermoblock combo on that side of the machine, but for your needs (and ours at present) it is adequate. The Mondiale by comparison is a grunt factory *;D

The machine is only 6 weeks-ish old so longevity is something that I cant help you with at this point unfortunately. Suffice to say I feel okay at present, as both the spro machine and matching grinder work as per manual info/settings straight out of the box. Others in here have not been as fortunate, which is a shame.

You will read plenty of posts in here certainly about the 6910 and the Silvia, so get reading, as we did, and base your decision on what you find.

This forum is so cool for information freely shared and a complete lack of antagonism that you will get what you need in a short period of time.

Welcome, and happy reading/shopping!!

Chris

Ive used a 6910 in a workplace and while it can make a good coffee I have my doubts as to how long they will last, even in a domestic environment.

As Chris said, they lack a little bit of steam power but you can live with it.

A Silvia on the other hand has proven reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by 516D706B616077626A61050 link=1238222080/3#3 date=1238230715
    they lack a little bit of steam power but you can live with it.

EM6920 per chance - a flurry of lower end upgrades?

Chris

...Is be there!!! ;D ;D ;D

Am yet to purchase but having done loads of research on this site and other sites over the Easter break have come to making a decision.

I went and visited Charlie over at Jetblack today in Cremorne and his advice and expertise was priceless. Admittingly, Im going to spend more than Id budgeted but believe it will be worth it in the long run as Im looking for a decent machine for my home to make 2 coffees at a time that will last me for a good few years.

I have learned that a good grinder is just as... if not more important than the machine itself... so that is where Ill put a little extra cash.

The setup Im going to purchase is a Rancilio Silvia 08 model machine and Compak K- 3 Touch grinder.

I had considered the Sunbeam em6910 and am still a little torn between it and the Silvia but I think the Silvia will prove itself in the long run. Also, having seen both units in action now, the Silvia is clearly a better built and sturdier machine.

Anyway, Im glad Ive found this site and will be spending much more time here talking all things coffee related so Ill see yaall round :)

The setup Im going to purchase is a Rancilio Silvia 08 model machine and Compak K- 3 Touch grinder.

You will have a great set-up with your equitment choices mtos8622. Welcome to Coffeesnobs Im sure you will be spending a lot more time on the site after receiving your new equipment, lots to learn, there are plenty of Silvia owners out there with a wealth of knowledge to help you on your way to coffee nirvana!!

Welcome "mtos8622".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cant go wrong with that combo mate. So long as you always use freshly roasted, high quality beans and only grind immediately before brewing, the quality of the shots you produce will only be limited by your expertise on the handle..... ;)

All the best and may all your shots be God like... 8-)

Mal.