Thread: Sunbeam 6910 promotions

Sunbeam 6910 promotions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I read somewhere here that there is a magical time to buy this machine, can someone explain what that is all about please, also I also read sunbeam sometimes throws in the grinder for free does anyone know about this?
    If I get one of these would it be ok to grind my beans on the commercial grinder at work or would I be better off getting the sunbeam grinder.
    Thanks

Re: Sunbeam 6910 promotions

For the last 2 years, roudhly in Sept / Oct Sunbeam has run a promotion giving away the 0480 grinder with the EM6910. It is "by redemption" and from what we have seen on here, takes several weeks (or more) to get the grinder.

I really dont think it would be worth the wait (waiting for a promotion that may or may not happen and then waiting for the grinder), think of all the great coffee you could be making between now and the time you get it all sorted.

As for pre-grinding your coffee, no, just, no.

I cant remember if your Roma is breathing or not, but, as a possible upgrade path -

New grinder (EM0480 as absolute minimum), perhaps a Iberital Challenge, Kompak K3 or Rocky.
    Unpressurised basket for your Roma.
    Fresh beans

These 3 things will bring new lease of life to your home espresso, you can then save towards a machine, that could be the 6910 or you might set your sights (and budget) a bit higher.

OH ok so what your saying is at home I should only grind the beans as I need them?
    Would you fill the hopper or keep beans in bag in a dark place and fill hopper as needed? This would be more hassle though and more hassle means more chance of not making the coffee ;D
    What do you mean by unpressurised basket for my roma what is this?
    Ive heard these mentioned but dont understand :-?

My roma makes good coffee after the first pour, I always have to throw the first away, absolutey no crema whatsoever I even run water through the group head to heat it up first but it makes no difference! for some reason any after that first one are good.

The thing I dont like about my roma is :I have to pour first then by the time I froth the milk the crema isnt a good as if I make everything ready for the same time like I do at work, and the steam wand is skinny and in a fixed position and theres no weight to the group head.
    I suppose its cause I am so used to using commercial machines now :(

Answer me this - you say you are a Barista and make the best coffees at your place of work. Would you use coffee you ground yesterday to make a coffee for someone ordering it today? Same principal at home.

Personally, I tend to leave beans in the hopper. The EM0480 does not like "just enough" beans as it popcorns (beans bouncing in and out of the burrs) and creates a terribly inconsistent grind. Its a bit of a CS sin I know, but like you, I couldnt be bothered with the hassle of putting beans in everytime I wanted a coffee. I go through about 150g of beans every 2 days so am constantly topping up the hopper, they never get "that" stale.

If you look at the filter that goes into your Roma, I am guessing that the basket (where you put the coffee in) has lots of holes (as it should) but the bottom of it (underneath) only has 1 or 2 holes?

That is called a pressurised filter, and is designed to make faux crema out of pretty much any coffee you put into the basket (stale, ground a week ago, bought from the supermarket that had been packed 2 months prior). It artificially creates resistence to the water flowing through the coffee puck (rather than the coffee puck itself creating the resistence) to make a crema like substance on the top of your shot. What you get is not crema.

Freshly roasted (within say a week to 3 weeks), freshly ground (immediately prior to brewing) and a standard basket (there are numerous threads in the under 500 category giving you the Krups part number for the basket / seal) are the best ways to get crema and a good shot.

There isnt much that can be done about the feel of the PF on your roma, yes its light and probably cheaply made. But if you properly heat the PF prior to brewing a shot (I put mine into the machine when I switch it on to warm it up, then I run a shot with no coffee through it to further heat it up, I run this shot into the cups so that it heats the cups too). This gets the PF nice and warm so that your freshly brewed shot does not hit cold metal as it runs through the PF. This could be why your first shot is a sink shot, and the 2nd one is better.

If you use fresh beans, freshly ground, non pressurised filter and your PF and cups are pre warmed, the crema should last long enough for you to steam your milk.

As a sick experiment (and if your boss will let you), take in some of the coffee that you use at home and run it through your commercial machine and see what the resulting shot is like.

Fresh Beans
    Freshly Ground
    Non Pressurised filter
    Warm gear

Good luck

Sen

I walked through the coffee machine section in Myer last weekend and nearly fell over when I saw how much the 6910 was........$799!!!!

Thats been the RRP for a couple of months now Willsy.

Old stock is still around a bit at discounts, but once it is gone I doubt you will see these prices again.

That is why we grabbed one. Got the machine and grinder for $752 which is under the RRP of the machine (der!!) and therefore makes the promotion offer a moot point.

...if latte girl is watching...

Chris

...who needs to stop buying coffee toys...

toys! toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 57616A65706B76040 link=1238648241/3#3 date=1238711334
    Personally, I tend to leave beans in the hopper. The EM0480 does not like "just enough" beans as it popcorns (beans bouncing in and out of the burrs) and creates a terribly inconsistent grind.
    A little "beanbag" made the right size and filled with lentils, rice, etc will allow you to grind on demand without suffering the so-called popcorn effect by sitting it on top of the beans in the hopper.... 8-)

Not my idea, another CSr came up with that one but its a goodn :)

Mal.

I got a price for the 6910 of $619 from the good guys.
    So this would be a good price then?
    I am leaning towards this machine, but may hang out to see if the free grinder promotion comes on again.
    I will see how I feel in a month or so when I move into my new house when I keep picturing the new coffee machine sitting there on my bench top ;D

Just another quick question, is there only 1 model of the 6910 or are there a few versions ie ab or c *on the end, as I read that the first ones were a bit finiky.
    Havnt checked what price I can get the grinder for yet. also would want the banger and tamper and a few extras so maybe would get a great deal on a package!

Quote Originally Posted by 474A5F5F4E744C4259472B0 link=1238648241/7#7 date=1238814549
    So this would be a good price then?
    Well that will be dependant on how much you pay for your grinder. If the two added together come in at or below $799 then it can be assumed its a good price overall.

I am leaning towards this machine, but may hang out to see if the free grinder promotion comes on again.

See above. We didnt wait for a promo as we got the two for $752. Waiting for the promo would mean paying more.

The machine and grinder wont be $619. On all appliances a promo is done @RRP for the expensive item and something thrown in as a bonus, therefore you will pay the new RRP of $799 for both on a promo deal.

Chris

...no need to wait, you could get the pair cheaper than that today.

[QUOTE=4B435B514C280 link=1238648241/8#8 date=1238899960]
    Quote Originally Posted by 474A5F5F4E744C4259472B0 link=1238648241/7#7 date=1238814549
    therefore you will pay the new RRP of $799 for both on a promo deal.

Chris

...no need to wait, you could get the pair cheaper than that today.
    Not necessarily. I bought mine for less than RRP and got the free grinder. The promotion is from Sunbeam - not the retailer - and is independent of your negotiations with the retailer.

personally, I would rather not wait for something that may or may not happen in a few months time.

If it was advertised as "coming in May or June etc" then sure, it could make sense, but a maybe in Sept or Oct, not so sure.

Still, its not our money, its lattegirls, we can only offer advise, what is done is up to her. Good luck either way

Sen

Quote Originally Posted by 373A2F2F3E043C3229375B0 link=1238648241/7#7 date=1238814549
    Ive been chasing EM6910 prices around Perth in the last fortnight:
    GG: $559
    Retravision: $579
    HN: $540

Sunbeam also has a BP fuel card offer:

Offer available on purchases between 1st April and 31st May 2009

$30 fuel card: MF2600, LC7600, MX8900, EM6910, BL4957, BL4958, LC8900, WF7800, EM5900, GC8900, VS6600, EM4800C

$20 fuel card: AP98R, PB9600, JE7600, TA9400, BM7800, FP8910, AP10LR, WF6400, HE6240T

$15 fuel card: FP5910, KE9200, HD7980

Quote Originally Posted by 4A594E4F5D485550593C0 link=1238648241/11#11 date=1238904823
    Sunbeam also has a BP fuel card offer
    This could come in handy for trips to the service centre. ;D

Hi Guys, I am a nube to this site, I am in the process of upgrading from my SB Cafe roma. My skill level has surpassed the CR and I am tempted toward the EM9610. When I look at the taste score on Choice they say it is %50 when much cheaper models have a score of %80, can anyone shed some light on these results, I do not want to invest $600 on something that poduces a %50 quality.

Hi Guys, could someone please explain why the EM6910 gets a taste score of only %50 on Choice, is not consistant with reports on here?

Quote Originally Posted by 222E272724242F20352E33410 link=1238648241/14#14 date=1238914260
    Hi Guys, could someone please explain why the EM6910 gets a taste score of only P on Choice, is not consistant with reports on here?
    Simple.
    CHOICE should not be taken seriously when it comes to assessing anything to do with coffee making.

Seriously, we are NOT the target audience for a CHOICE report.

I have not personally used an EM6910, but I would trust the feedback from people here far ahead of anything in CHOICE.

Hi coffeenator, a while ago we had a topic running about choice saying that very cheap domestic machines were better than semi professional prosumer machines. If you do a search through the forum you should be able to find the topic .I own an em6910 and have for nearly 2 years and it makes a pretty good cuppa. The main thing is you must clean your machine no matter what machine you get, if you look after it, it will look after you.
    I will do a search and see if I can find the topic.

Simply put the choice scores on coffee machines/grinders are rubbish. :-X For example in one of their reviews they said only one reviewer (out of four or five) recommended grinding your coffee fresh over buying preground.
    Side Note: You definitely want to grind your fresh coffee (less then one month old) mere moments (less then 3 minutes - better less) before brewing.

I cant find the topic where the discussion about hte choice review is maybe one of the mods knows where it is?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 565A494F42595E5A553B0 link=1238648241/18#18 date=1238916547
    I cant find the topic where the discussion about hte choice review is maybe one of the mods knows where it is?
    Lots of topics... But as a start try here

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1203156005/0

Thats the one. Angermanagement

*weighs in*...

Seriously, if you are a professional coffee maker, then why on earth are you considering the Sunbeam?

If it is coming down to price, then how about the good old idea of saving your money for a bit and actually buying a proper piece of coffee making equipment, including a decent grinder.

Rather than just settling on the quick option of getting a cheap machine that may satisfy your coffee making experience?

And Im with the others on the issue of Choice reviews in regards to coffee. Go to the experts on coffee for advice, not the experts in reviews for coffee advice. Speak to site sponsors who sell machines or speak with those who are coffee professionals. Choice are not coffee experts...

Personally, I think you should look beyond the Sunbeam...

My friend has the EM6910 + EM0480. The machine isnt too bad but the biggest problem is that the grinder steps are too large. It makes fine tuning the espresso shot quite difficult. If you can afford it I would recommend getting a better grinder.

Maybe I should add something more constructive than my last comment.

From purely a price perspective, the 6910 and 480 are probably impossible to beat. If youve never owned any type of espresso machine and you buy these, I think you would be pretty pleased with the results.

Human nature seems to dictate that we are happy with whatever we purchase, at least initially. Its a bit like having your first car - nothing on the road seemed shinier, could possibly be more comfortable, or could go faster.

The other thing about human nature is that we often become dissatisfied with what we have - sometimes for good reason and other times for no reason. Presuming you continue to enjoy making coffee at home, its when you start looking at other equipment on the road you begin to identify, and acknowledge, that a better built grinder *does* make an improvement, and a better built machine *does* have the ability to produce a better extraction, and will also outlive the sunbeam.

IMO, despite the need to spend more time mastering something like a Silvia/Rocky, compared to the Sunbeam, I think the vast majority would see this as a definite step up, both in the quality of the equipment itself and its ability.

If you can stretch your budget, then do it. If you cant, then Im sure youll enjoy the Sunbeam and wonder what all the fuss was about....

until....

the day comes when a ferrari overtakes you. ;)

Thanks guys, your time to answer my questions is much appreciated. I guess you all put forward a balanced argumet for your perticular thoughts and exeriences, thats expected and valid. I guess from my point of view I need to make a choice about where I am going with my coffee making. I have loved coffee for over 25years but only recently, (last 3-4 years) really appeciated the art of coffee making. I have had my Cafe roma for 2.5 years and thought I was doing fine, really thinking that I could never achieve a retail grade coffee at home. Reading this forum has shown me that you can, or at least get close to the pros out there. As usual budget and desire drive all the decisions we make, I just need to either curbe my desire for the next level and aim high or, make do with the low grade offering from my Roma and the 840. for a little longer. I guess the 840 outstrips the Roma and may well do ok for the 9610 or the Silvia. Man dont you hate too much coice and delaying your expectation..........? I have some thinking to do. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 61404B4B4C56250 link=1238648241/23#23 date=1238928541
    From purely a price perspective, the 6910 and 480 are probably impossible to beat. *If youve never owned any type of espresso machine and you buy these, I think you would be pretty pleased with the results.
    Hard to argue with that.

Human nature seems to dictate that we are happy with whatever we purchase, at least initially. *Its a bit like having your first car - nothing on the road seemed shinier, could possibly be more comfortable, or could go faster.
    Hmmm...

The other thing about human nature is that we often become dissatisfied with what we have - sometimes for good reason and other times for no reason. *Presuming you continue to enjoy making coffee at home, its when you start looking at other equipment on the road you begin to identify, and acknowledge, that a better built grinder *does* make an improvement, and a better built machine *does* have the ability to produce a better extraction, and will also outlive the sunbeam.
    Yeah, a HX has a lot of balls...and a lot of looks 8-) mmmm shiny objects...

IMO, despite the need to spend more time mastering something like a Silvia/Rocky, compared to the Sunbeam, I think the vast majority would see this as a definite step up, both in the quality of the equipment itself and its ability.
    The Sunbeam offers dual functionality...

If you can stretch your budget, then do it. *If you cant, then Im sure youll enjoy the Sunbeam and wonder what all the fuss was about....
    Nice one Dennis, you brought it back to the struggling punter...I love that.

I think I said somewhere else, the wife has 15-20 HXs tied up in musical instruments that create income. My Sunbeam is okay. Obviously not the ducks guts but we can produce a pretty good coffee from it.

All said and done, we (along with others) would love a HX machine, but....we all have budgets and they do actually work(the SB, along with the budget...actually Id put my money on the SB...budgeting sucks ;D).

until....

the day comes when a ferrari overtakes you. ;)
    pffft

Another reason for the SB would be the R1 and R6 in the garage....

Chris

SB owner (currently) that can smoke a Ferrari....

Quote Originally Posted by 767A737370707B74617A67150 link=1238648241/24#24 date=1238929975
    Thanks guys, your time to answer my questions is much appreciated. I guess you all put forward a balanced argumet for your perticular thoughts and exeriences, thats expected and valid. I guess from my point of view I need to make a choice about where I am going with my coffee making. I have loved coffee for over 25years but only recently, (last 3-4 years) really appeciated the art of coffee making. I have had my Cafe roma for 2.5 years and thought I was doing fine, really thinking that I could never achieve a retail grade coffee at home. Reading this forum has shown me that you can, or at least get close to the pros out there. As usual budget and desire drive all the decisions we make, I just need to either curbe my desire for the next level and aim high or, make do with the low grade offering from my Roma and the 840. for a little longer. I guess the 840 outstrips the Roma and may well do ok for the 9610 or the Silvia. Man dont you hate too much coice and delaying your expectation..........? I have some thinking to do. Thanks again. *
    Good post :)

Thanks Guys.
    As I have mentioned on other posts I am going out to pick up my sunbeam 6910 now managed to get it for $620 with the free grinder promotion and they give you the grinder there and then you dont have to wait for it :)
    I am sure I will be reading all the posts on here now regarding the settings on these 2 machines and will more than likely have some teething problems :D

sam

Quote Originally Posted by 3F322727360C343A213F530 link=1238648241/27#27 date=1255741776
    Thanks Guys.
    As I have mentioned on other posts I am going out to pick up my sunbeam 6910 now managed to get it for $620 with the free grinder promotion and they give you the grinder there and then you dont have to wait for it :)
    I am sure I will be reading all the posts on here now regarding the settings on these 2 machines and will more than likely have some teething problems :D
    hi. where abouts did you get this deal??

anyone know where i can get a great deal on the sunbeam 6910 + grinder in adelaide??

thanks

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 564448250 link=1238648241/28#28 date=1268044087
    hi. where abouts did you get this deal??

anyone know where i can get a great deal on the sunbeam 6910 + grinder in adelaide??

thanks
    The deal that they had with the free EM0480 has long gone, my brother in law picked up the combo for $650 at david bones at Xmas time!, pretty good.....just had a look at the catalogues from the usual sellers.....Myer/djones/good guys....and none of em have sales on the 6910, they are around the $750 mark for the appliance alone......and at that price your getting into silvia territory.......1000 X better build and more of like an espresso machine rather than the appliance that the Sunbeam is!

I just bought a EM6910 on the weekend at Myer - they had one of those 20% of small electrical sales which I think would still be happening. Brought it home, modded the Breville grinder to get it fine enough to use the regular baskets and so far so good.