Thread: New VBM Piccolo out of the box... what now?

VC

New VBM Piccolo out of the box... what now?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This is a bit of a noob question... Ive just brought home my brand new Piccolo and put water in the reservoir. Is it now just a matter of pressing the "INT." button and waiting for it to warm up before putting it to work? A few other qs...

- How will I know that it has warmed up?
    - Dont I need to prime the boiler somehow? :-?

Any help appreciated.

VC

Re: New VBM Piccolo out of the box... what now?

Step 2 in the manual says, "Raise the lever making sure that it has got to the end of its run.

Step 3: Introduce the electrical plug in the socket.

Step 4: Press the push button (The one that says "INT."), the resistance indicator lamp will light, wait until the group delivered water, raise totally the lever and wait until the lamp is switching off.

Its prob translated from Italian. The way I read it, Im supposed to...

2. Lift the lever (to ON position)

3. Plug it in,

4. Push the button which will make the light come on, and presumably water will come out of the group. I dont get why Im supposed the raise the already-raised lever... and why the light will go off.

Hmmm...

VC, I have a strong hunch you didnt get this from a Sponsor. ;D

Good that you put water in the reservoir as a first step. Is it possible for you to go back to whoever sold you this unit for some advice?

The other news is that despite being great little machines, they DO need to be bench tested and often tweaked so that they operate to their potential. Otherwise, even if you do figure out how to use it, the shots will always be disappointing.

Again, go back to the supplier - they should know the machine and be able to give you some guidance.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5F494C4C5D5F535A5A59593C0 link=1238752588/2#2 date=1238754268
    VC, I have a strong hunch you didnt get this from a Sponsor. *;D

Good that you put water in the reservoir as a first step. *Is it possible for you to go back to whoever sold you this unit for some advice?

The other news is that despite being great little machines, they DO need to be bench tested and often tweaked so that they operate to their potential. [ch65533]Otherwise, even if you do figure out how to use it, the shots will always be disappointing.

Again, go back to the supplier - they should know the machine and be able to give you some guidance.
    Hi VC

Yes, it looks like you missed step #1- Throw this manual in the recycle bin before reading....

Make sure that you have a read over http://www.espressocompany.com.au/downloads/DomobarUserGuideSteaming.pdf

Looks like another case of ya gets what ya pays for to me *::)

From my not-far-from-completion "VBM Domobar Users Guide":

First time use:
    1. Carefully unpack and check the contents of the box. Ensure these include:
    1 Vibiemmé Domobar Piccolo
    1 plastic 1.7 lire water tank
    1 warming plate
    1 drip tray
    1 mesh drip tray cover
    1 group handle
    2 filter baskets: single and double
    1 blind filter for backflushing
    1 plastic tamper
    1 measuring spoon
    2. Remove the plastic protective film from the bottom of the drip tray and slide into position under the group head. Place the mesh drip tray cover into position over the drip tray.
    3. Remove the warming plate (top lid) then remove the water tank. Rinse the tank thoroughly. Ensure the exterior surfaces of the tank are dry and place back in the unit.
    4. Using a jug, carefully fill the water tank almost to the top with clean water. Ensure both silicon tubes are submerged in the water with ends resting on the bottom
    5. Remove the plastic film from the warming tray and fit onto the top of the tank.
    6. Ensure the Main Switch is not pressed on and the brew lever is completely lowered, not in the up or middle position.
    7. Connect the power lead to a power outlet and turn on the switch.
    8. Press the Main Switch. The Main Switch lamp should glow red. The Heating indicator (upper right) should also glow red indicating that the water in the boiler has commenced heating. If the Heating lamp fails to come on, ensure that the water tank is at least half full of water.
    9. Immediately raise the brew lever fully. The vibration pump should start and the boiler will start to fill. After several seconds, water should issue from the group head.
    10. Wait about 20 seconds, or until there is a steady flow of water from the group head, then lower the brew lever fully. The pump will stop.

The boiler is now primed and ready to heat. The boiler will be heated when the heating lamp turns off but optimum temperature of the group head is reached after about 20 minutes of the Main Switch being turned on.

Preparation for normal Use:
    1. Ensure the water tank is filled and the steam/hot water valve is closed
    2. Ensure unit is plugged in and then press the Main Switch. Check that both the Main Switch and the Heating lamp are glowing red.
    3. Raise the brew lever. The pump will start and water will be dispensed from the group head.
    4. Dispense about 100 millilitres of water into a cup. This will ensure the boiler is full.
    5. Place the double or single filter basket into the group handle
    6. Lock the group handle loosely into the group head. This will allow it to warm up.
    7. The Heating lamp will go out after 5 - 10 minutes indicating that the boiler has reached optimum temperature. It is best to leave the machine on for at least 20 minutes to allow the group head to reach optimum temperature.

As for the rest (technique), I recommend you invest in a home barista course - one where you can take your machine along. Where are you: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, whoop-whoop?

Be careful, it is easier to burn out the element if you dont keep the boiler primed. Boiler elements are not covered by warranty.

VC

flynn_aus, I REALLY appreciate your instructions... thanks for bothering to type them out.

Im in NW Sydney and have got a spot in a course where I can bring my machine along... so it should be good to pick up some good specific tips.

Thanks again... (I may have more qs if thats cool).

No probs VC but I didnt type them out, I cut and paste from the manual Im writing.

2muchcoffeemans advice about the VBM Users manual is appropriate, which is what prompted me to start a useful manual. I hope to complete it sometime in the next few months as I want it fairly comprehensive.

Feel free to answer qs - thats what CoffeeSnobs is all about.

VC

Another question... whats the difference between pointing the lever vertically downwards and having it point horizontal? Both positions do not activate the pump but Im wondering if one has something to do with the pressure relief valve?

Not sure if this is a separate issue... When I overdosed the other day and tried to fit the handle in the group, I noticed the machine started to make a sound like the pump was on... even though the lever was either down or horizontal (I cant remember which one but I think it was horiz.). The manual (yes, I know its inadequate) says nothing about this function. Is there a connection between the lever position and what seemed like an auto start of the pump? (I didnt try to fit the handle long enough to notice any water coming out of the group... I got scared!).

Not sure why the pump would start. There is certainly no auto aspect of it and you would either need to press the hot water switch or have the lever all the way up to cause the pump to start.

The central position. It has no must-do function as far as I know but it was explained to me, when I first acquired my machine, that when you pause briefly in the middle position after pouring your shot, it will allow the 3-way valve to discharge some water into the drip tray - a couple of seconds would do it. Im not sure if/why this is important.

I generally leave briefly it in that position after pulling a shot to allow me to remove the cups which otherwise would prevent me from allowing the lever to travel all the way down.

The important thing is not to leave it in that position but I confess that Ive forgotten why other than you cant actually engage the pump to start your shot if you dont pull the lever all the way up . *:-/

Gra

Quote Originally Posted by 2C263324242B3F394A0 link=1238752588/8#8 date=1239014833
    Not sure why the pump would start. There is certainly no auto aspect of it and you would either need to press the hot water switch or have the lever all the way up to cause the pump to start
    IN the mid position the levers cam is at its closes to the pump switch, If you lock the group Handel in some times the cam starts the pump..

Cheers Gra...

Quote Originally Posted by 7D485B3A0 link=1238752588/9#9 date=1239023544
    Quote Originally Posted by 2C263324242B3F394A0 link=1238752588/8#8 date=1239014833
    Not sure why the pump would start. There is certainly no auto aspect of it and you would either need to press the hot water switch or have the lever all the way up to cause the pump to start
    IN the mid position the levers cam is at its closes to the pump switch, If you lock the group Handel in some times the cam starts the pump..

Cheers Gra...
    Thanks Graham. Thats what I guessed might be the problem but Ive never experienced that as I always check the lever position when starting up my Veeb.

VC: Always ensure the brew lever is off (fully in the down position) when not pouring a shot

VC

Yeah, I think thats been the issue. When in the horiz. position, the cam (on mine) touches the pump switch and may even depress it ever so slightly. If the pump switch moves in any further, the pump starts. So I must have touched the lever when locking in the handle. Thanks!