Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Just brought a Silvia!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    37

    Just brought a Silvia!

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

    I had been looking for a coffee machine for awhile, and Just brought a 2nd hand Silvia off a member from this site 8-)

    It has a digital temp installed into it. I always thought brewing temp is about 94 degs C, but from what Iv read your meant to brew the Silvia at 110 degs C? It surfs from about 89 degs to 116 degs.

    So far its making very good espresso. My only (minor) moan is that the coffee isnt as intense (yes intense, not bitter) as im used to. Im thinking the Silvia basket is smaller then normal? You cant updose it either it seems (found this out in my first two coffees!)

    Great machine though :-) Any help on the best brewing temp would be good if anyone knows? Iv read the Cheating Miss Silvia webpage to which was good.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    703

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    The brew temperature and the boiler temperature are 2 different things, and the reason for the difference is where the temperature is measured.
    It is not very easy to measure the brew water temperature on a Silvia, but it is very easy to measure the temperature at the top of the boiler.
    Depending on the calibration of your setup, the optimal brew temperature should be when the boiler temp is in the range of 105-109 degC.....taste is the ultimate guide.
    If the brew seems bitter, try brewing at lower temp, if its sour try brewing at higher temp.

    Not quite sure what you mean by not as intense as what you are used to. Silvia can produce exceptional results with some practice and consistency. Bean type and freshness, grind quality and grinding just before you brew all affect the outcome significantly.

    Yes the baskets are relatively small, dont use the single it is also a poor shape as well as being too small, and almost everybody who tries it reports poor results with it.
    The double is capable of great shots, and can be updosed a bit by tapping the pf on the bench to settle the grinds into the basket before levelling and tamping.

    If you are concerned about caffeine intake using the double, then cut the shot short, it will still be intense, just less caffeine.

    Hope this helps some.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    37

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    Quote Originally Posted by 0B3C2525203D3D490 link=1239158957/1#1 date=1239160488
    The brew temperature and the boiler temperature are 2 different things, and the reason for the difference is where the temperature is measured.
    It is not very easy to measure the brew water temperature on a Silvia, but it is very easy to measure the temperature at the top of the boiler.
    Depending on the calibration of your setup, the optimal brew temperature should be when the boiler temp is in the range of 105-109 degC.....taste is the ultimate guide.
    If the brew seems bitter, try brewing at lower temp, if its sour try brewing at higher temp.

    Not quite sure what you mean by not as intense as what you are used to. *Silvia can produce exceptional results with some practice and consistency. *Bean type and freshness, grind quality and grinding just before you brew all affect the outcome significantly.

    Yes the baskets are relatively small, dont use the single it is also a poor shape as well as being too small, and almost everybody who tries it reports poor results with it.
    The double is capable of great shots, and can be updosed a bit by tapping the pf on the bench to settle the grinds into the basket before levelling and tamping.

    If you are concerned about caffeine intake using the double, then cut the shot short, it will still be intense, just less caffeine.

    Hope this helps some.
    Thanks for that. I was brewing about 95 degs C to start with, probably why its not as intense. It did seem better at the higher temp.

    My normal "double" shot is 40mL in 22-25sec. I dont like a longer bitter shot so cut them off as soon as any blonding occurs. I normally updose the basket quite a lot, so that I can get a longer shot before blonding. Maybe why Im finding the Silvia shots not as sweet and intense? Though are very "balanced" shots.

    I use a Pullman tamper - however it was measured for a SunBeam EM6910 basket. It still fits the Silvia double basket, though I need to be careful pulling the tamper out and not disturb the pluck once Iv tamped. My other tamper is (guessing) 57mm and isnt a good fit at all, though still better then the plastic Silvia one ;)

    I havent used the single basket - probably wont either, Iv always found the grind is too fine for the single if its set up for the double basket.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,165

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    The 6910 does use a larger basket than 95% of the Silvias. You can buy a separate base or send your old one back for a changeover if you want a better fit, however a cheaper option is to replace your Silvias baskets with Synesso baskets which your existing base will probably fit just fine (we can check the exact size of the one you have if you give us the serial number and confirm this arrangement)

    Greg

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    37

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    Quote Originally Posted by 7164737166637A7A7B7778160 link=1239158957/3#3 date=1239164653
    The 6910 does use a larger basket than 95% of the Silvias. You can buy a separate base or send your old one back for a changeover if you want a better fit, however a cheaper option is to replace your Silvias baskets with Synesso baskets which your existing base will probably fit just fine (we can check the exact size of the one you have if you give us the serial number and confirm this arrangement)

    Greg
    Hey there, - do you sell the Synesso baskets? Do you mean ya need the serial number for Silvia, to see if the baskets will fit?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    433

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    Probably the SN of the tamper, sounds like they keep measurements on each one (to possibly replicate lost / damaged bases?)

    The Silvia takes circa 14g of coffee in the double basket, the Sunbeam, circa 18 - 20g of coffee, this could account for a change in intensity?

    Good luck with your new machine

    Sen

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    362

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    +1 for upgrading to the synesso baskets. The double basket isnt too bad on the silvia for a single coffee, but the synesso one is a lot better. and as greg said, will probably fit ur tamper better too.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,165

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    Quote Originally Posted by 7A5846586E7B5E5F5F5E310 link=1239158957/4#4 date=1239168879
    Quote Originally Posted by 7164737166637A7A7B7778160 link=1239158957/3#3 date=1239164653
    The 6910 does use a larger basket than 95% of the Silvias. You can buy a separate base or send your old one back for a changeover if you want a better fit, however a cheaper option is to replace your Silvias baskets with Synesso baskets which your existing base will probably fit just fine (we can check the exact size of the one you have if you give us the serial number and confirm this arrangement)

    Greg
    Hey there, - do you sell the Synesso baskets? Do you mean ya need the serial number for Silvia, to see if the baskets will fit?
    Every tamper base we sell has its own serial number. We take measurements on every tamper base, including the outside diameter, and keep this in a database for future reference. Because our tampers are normally custom-made to a specific size there can be a great range of subtly different tamper Pullman bases out in the wild which may feel similar in diameter to others but in fact are a bit different. In cases like these all we need is the serial number and from that we can either clone an identical base (e.g. for a friend who wants one the same as yours knowing yours fits his machine) or supply a basket to suit your base.

    If you unscrew the handle youll see a number stamped into the top of the tamper base. Email this to Robin enquiries@coffeetamper.com.au and hell confirm how good a fit your existing tamper will be in the Synesso baskets we sell (singles, doubles and possibly a 2.5 on the way). Presuming its all good (which it should be) you can then order your basket(s) of choice through our online store.

    Greg

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    37

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    Quote Originally Posted by 637661637471686869656A040 link=1239158957/7#7 date=1239171432
    Quote Originally Posted by 7A5846586E7B5E5F5F5E310 link=1239158957/4#4 date=1239168879
    Quote Originally Posted by 7164737166637A7A7B7778160 link=1239158957/3#3 date=1239164653
    The 6910 does use a larger basket than 95% of the Silvias. You can buy a separate base or send your old one back for a changeover if you want a better fit, however a cheaper option is to replace your Silvias baskets with Synesso baskets which your existing base will probably fit just fine (we can check the exact size of the one you have if you give us the serial number and confirm this arrangement)

    Greg
    Hey there, - do you sell the Synesso baskets? Do you mean ya need the serial number for Silvia, to see if the baskets will fit?
    We take measurements on every tamper base we sell, including the outside diameter, and keep this in a database for future reference. Because our tampers are normally custom-made to a specific size there can be a great range of subtly different tamper Pullman bases out in the wild which may feel similar in diameter to others but in fact are a bit different. In cases like these all we need is the serial number and from that we can either clone an identical base (e.g. for a friend who wants one the same as yours knowing yours fits his machine) or supply a basket to suit your base.

    If you unscrew the handle youll see a number stamped into the top of the tamper base. Email this to Robin enquiries@coffeetamper.com.au and hell confirm how good a fit your existing tamper will be in the Synesso baskets we sell (singles, doubles and possibly a 2.5 on the way). Presuming its all good (which it should be) you can then order your basket(s) of choice through our online store.

    Greg
    Iv just emailed Robin, and checked my tamper number. The basket should be good, and will make tamping better too.

    If anyone has any other tips for the Silvia fire away :D

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,165

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    Good stuff Jonno, Im sure youll enjoy the new combo!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    37

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    Quote Originally Posted by 31070C03160D10620 link=1239158957/5#5 date=1239169871
    The Silvia takes circa 14g of coffee in the double basket, the Sunbeam, circa 18 - 20g of coffee, this could account for a change in intensity?

    Sen
    My new basket is on its way!

    Just as a side note, I measured the Silvia basket (28 grams), dosed as I normally do, then measured the full basket (44grams). So my double with the Silvia is 16 grams. This was a level dose, a very solid tamp, and the basket was at the "ridge". The Silvia doesnt seem to like the basket filled over the ridge.

    I was kinda surprised it was this much, as the baskets dont seem at all deep compared to other machines. Id say normally my doubles would be 18grams with a bigger basket AND up-dosing above the ridge on machines that allow it.

    Curious, do others dose the Silvia double basket with 14 grams? Are you able to get a 55-60mL pour out of it? Or more of a 40mL pour?

    This isnt meant to sound like a bad review or anything, the shots (40mL) taste good still! :D


  12. #12
    Senior Member redzone121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: Just brought a Silvia!

    I would stick with the 40ml if the taste is good, no need to change.
    I had one of these and had I less success with over 40mls

    Enjoy, it sure is capable of stunning shots !

    CB



Similar Threads

  1. Miss Silvia (Rancilio Silvia)
    By zeke in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21st January 2011, 07:59 AM
  2. is silvia 2009 $200 better than silvia 2008?
    By stevekat100 in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th January 2010, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •