Thread: Advice on package to ~$1k

Caffeine Junky

Advice on package to ~$1k

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After months of reading this site Im finally ready to take the plunge.

Before forking out for a new machine & grinder I thought Id check if anyone had an excess of either piece of equipment.

It seems like the Silvia/Rocky combo is a very popular starting point. Id be interested in something of this quality range (or above).

Willing to spend up to $300 for a grinder and up up to $600 for an espresso machine.

Re: Advice on package to ~$1k

Quote Originally Posted by 4C4D47544A4F55260 link=1241527162/4#4 date=1241578730
    I cant for the life of me work out how to start a new topic. *Can anyone help me? *
    I think as a new member, you may need to post at least 1 reply before being able to PM or New Topic.

Caffeine Junky

Thanks versatile, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 66676D7E60657F0C0 link=1241578731/0#0 date=1241578730
    Wow that was quick and easy.
    Anyone else out there have a Rocky or similar quality grinder for sale?
    Willing to spend up to $400. *Am also after an espresso machine up to $600.

I cant for the life of me work out how to start a new topic. *Can anyone help me? *
    Welcome C-J..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Why not contact one of our site sponsors and go for a brand new espresso machine, and maybe a grinder too. These machines from a our good friends at (no free plug here)... http://tinyurl.com/dmtbvl are excellent and so close to the performance of a Silvia it is almost immeasurable. Their build quality is also excellent, I used to own an almost identical machine.... 8-)

Mal.

Caffeine Junky

Thanks for the advice Mal, seems like a great price for a machine with its features. I also have the option of purchasing a Silvia for only $699 brand new (2008 model), although I would prefer to purchase from a CS sponsor.

martino

$699 is a very good price for a new Silvia.

A lot, dare I say all, sponsors would beat that price any way. Just ask ;)

Caffeine Junky

You think so? Id be great to buy locally. I went to Rio yesterday and they were $200 more.

I know for sure CoffeeParts are selling them cheaper than $699. If you post your location Im sure we can point you in the right direction of which sponsor would be most appropriate.

Alternatively, you can send an email to all of the sponsors (see left at the base of the sponsor list) to determine which sponsors have stock and which have a price below $699.

Caffeine Junky

Thanks bjeck Id really appreciate that, Im in Adelaide.

I think your local is the Coffee Barun
    http://www.thecoffeebarun.com.au/

Shoot them an email because I am unsure if they stock the Silvia. Otherwise talk to a few of the Melbourne sponsors about freight

Good luck!

Caffeine Junky

Will do bjeck, thanks for all your advice. I can get one for $720 delivered to Adelaide from Coffee Parts. Will try CB to see if they also stock.

Do ya self a favour and jump in at this level .....

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1239776171

yeah I know its more $$$ but ya get a lot more for it...!!

GB

I really dont agree hotshod. Do what you feel is right C.J

To a post from someone with more knowledge (from another thread)

Quote Originally Posted by 747366707D6B4D232B2B2B120 link=1241585563/1#1 date=1241590723
    Yours is one of the most difficult question to give a definitive answer to.

If money was no object, I would simply say "Go in high and hard and get a combo youll be happy with for years."

However, money IS an object as it is so often.

Most of the time, members here tend to tread one of two paths:

1 - Start with budget gear, upgrade a number of times (sometimes forced to when appliances break down). Take a while to get to their preferred setup. Planning 1 or MORE upgrades in the future. I trod this path. Went through appliances, more appliances, Silvia/Rocky and landed with Expobar/Macap. (Currently planning 0 upgrades).

2 - Went in at more towards the high end. Have been happy with their setup from day one. Planning 1 or LESS upgrades in the future.
    Users like Thundergod trod this path and he has been very happy.

So I guess you need to find out what sort of coffee snob you are.

By this I mean:
    Are you likely to be happy with using the Breville for a few years and when it dies, continue with similar
    OR
    Are you likely to suffer through with the Breville whilst yearning for or saving for the next upgrade?

I would suspect (especially since you have posted here) that you are of the 2nd kind, and would suggest you hold off buying and save for the better stuff. Itll save you money in the long run.

The bonus of the Silvia/Rocky (or similar quality) is that their re-sale value are both quite good. The same cannot be said for the Ikon.

Hope that helps.

Brett.

TC

Hi Caffeinejunky...

It seems to me that youre looking for advice and perhaps for a new machine. As the hardware for sale is used for members to sell their own machinery and not for new gear, its best that this thread be moved- and it has been and I have also renamed the thread.

As per usual, we recommend that you contact a sponsor. You *may* pay $20-$50 more for $priceless extra service, training and advice...

Happy shopping ;)

2mcm

I tend to agree with 2mcm on the service front - thats well worth it it youre new to expresso machines at home.

However if you buy an Expobar over a Silvia you are certinly in another league - 4real - second hand its twice the price of a brand new Silvia!! So... will it produce a better espresso? The concencious seems to be that it will be much easier to regularly pull great shots with a machine of this calibre than a Silvia. However with that machine and the grinder - youre way over budget.

However - your budget WILL get you an EXCELLENT machine and grinder combo - The Silvia is VERY good - everyone tends to agree (even while its a bit fiddly).

Silvia/Rocky - youll be able to tinker for yonks, which CS people tend to like doing, and youll be able to produce fantastic coffee, better than most cafes.

Good luck.

for the mentioned budget, id go witht the fenice linked to above and a grinder using trespade burrs - nemox, lelit etc. I think they are a little more forgiving and easier to use than the silvia.

IF you drink lots of milk drinks, then id strongly consider the expobar office pulsar ($1400) plus lelit/nemox grinder - - now think of it this way - 2 coffees per day these days is $7 * 250 days/yr = $1750 per year - see how easy it is to justify spending a bit more ;)

cheers

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2B333A29363A3934225B0 link=1241578732/16#16 date=1241648292
    for the mentioned budget, id go witht the fenice linked to above and a grinder using trespade burrs - nemox, lelit etc. *I think they are a little more forgiving and easier to use than the silvia.

IF you drink lots of milk drinks, then id strongly consider the expobar office pulsar ($1400) plus lelit/nemox grinder - *- now think of it this way - 2 coffees per day these days is $7 * 250 days/yr = $1750 per year - see how easy it is to justify spending a bit more *;)

cheers
    Hi pharma....might be a good idea to check prices. The office pulsar retails for $1650 ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 2E26292F277D784C0 link=1241578732/13#13 date=1241601120
    I really dont agree hotshod. Do what you feel is right C.J
    How could you disagree , ...... all the regulars here quote what a fantastic deal it is ....... $300 bucks more that a Sylvia , and absolutely no comparison , different level and a bargain.

I agree , do what you feel is right C.J.

gb

Quote Originally Posted by 643B23353E3539303033333B3738560 link=1241578732/17#17 date=1241648532
    Hi pharma....might be a good idea to check prices. The office pulsar retails for $1650 ;)
    La Sorrentina sells the semi-auto model for $1499...

http://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.co...presso-machine