Thread: silvia: shot or milk which order

silvia: shot or milk which order

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hey guys I upgraded to a Silvia and Rocky combo a little while ago and really enjoying it and getting some excellent shots, but I have been looking at some videos on YouTube on the Silvias and noticed some people did pulled a shot first then textured the milk, while others did the reverse. I thought you needed to texture the milk first which will fill up the boiler then pull the shot.

Which order am I suppost to be doing it in?? :o :D

Thanks everyone, love your work!!

Re: silvia: shot or milk which order

Steaming milk empties the boiler. You need to refill the boiler by running the group pump switch until you get steady streams of water out of the shower screen.

I always do shots first.

Lately i have been doing shots, then flicking on the steam switch, then the group head switch to do my group head and portafilter cleaning, then steaming milk and then cleaning and purging the steam wand. Then I always run the group head switch after steaming to refill the boiler.

I always pull shots first and steam second. Some say u lose some crema as your shot sits and waits for the milk but i find its easier to surf to temp for shot and then flick switch for steaming. IMO cooling sylvia down after steaming to required shot temp is always trickier than raising temp for milk steaming. Have been pulling some great shots with WOW from Brown bay. *:P

Id just give each method a go mmm.... ::)

Then make up your own mind ;)

Mal.

I always pull shot/s first, then steam the milk.
    Works for me :)

Thanks guys thats what I was thinking and already doing- pull shot then texture milk. :D

Hi there, thats what I do as well with my Silvia. Shots then milk. I think its fine for the shots to sit for a minute awaiting the textured milk.

Im actually quite surprised at how easy and quick it is to stretch and texture the milk with the Silvia considering that I had my doubts from what Id read before purchasing the Silvia.

I use a small jug and have absolutely no problems with 4 decent size milk coffees at a time. I think I could probably do more but at that stage I usually refill the boiler and to be honest, I havent yet had to do any more milk coffees than that at any stage.

thanks everyone, just saw 2 differing ways and thought I would check! ;) ;)

Seems that the consensus is that you should extract your espressos first them texture your milk. This is what I did when I owned a Silvia a few years ago. The only problem with this method is that, by the time the steam comes up to pressure, a lot of the crema will have already dissipated by the time you come to pour your milk, not a huge problem unless youre wanting magnificent definition in latte art.

The opposite case is if you actually steam milk first then extract your espressos. With this case, your crema will have had no chance to dissipate. What you will need to do though is wait for the boiler to come down to an acceptable temperature from which you may extract your espressos. The implication of this is that you must texture your milk a little hotter than usual as you wait for the machine to come down in temperature. You will also need to continually by gently roll your milk around the pitcher so that the milk does not fully separate in to milk and foam (like a caffe latte where you can see a distinct separation of milk and foam).

I say try both and see which you like better.