Thread: Caffeinated squirrel requests advice on first espresso machine

Caffeinated squirrel requests advice on first espresso machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Dear Coffee Snobs,

After uhm-ing and ah-ing for some time now, Ive finally decided to bite the bullet and invest in an espresso machine. *Tempted though I am to dash straight to the store and do my bit to stimulate the economy, I thought Id hold off a bit and seek some proper advice first...

My budget/wish list are as follows:
    • Looking to spend less than $750
    • Already have a grinder - Breville BarAroma conical burr http://www.breville.com.au/products_detail.asp?prod=370 - is this any good?
    • Machine needs to be a good all-rounder i.e. do good shots but also have good milk steaming capability (I like to think that theres an occasion for every style of coffee :D)
    • Want a manual or semi-automatic machine
    • Would typically make 2-3 coffees every weekday, and more on weekends

Ive read good things about the Sunbeam EM6910 and could lay my hands on it for $466 (thanks to credit card points). *However, Im a little concerned about the reliability issues some people have apparently experienced... should this deter me?

I also understand that the Breville BES860 isnt bad and could pick this up for $460 (again, thanks to credit card points). *However, since this model has a built-in grinder and I already have an external unit it seems a bit of a waste - unless of course the built-in grinder is superior to my current one - is it?

Of coures, I dont have my heart set on either of these machines (its the end product that counts), but it does seem like a good opportunity to use my credit card points and save a little money!

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. *Please let me know if theres any other information I can provide that would help you to make a recommendation.

Re: Caffeinated squirrel requests advice on first espresso machine

this might be a bit one sided but i would recomment the Rancilio Silvia its a great all rounder that will stand up to your daily use.
    the 6910 is also a good choice but just do a search and you will find the topic has been descussed heaps.

one f your great sponsers would be gad to help you out with buying a machine. just check out the ones in your area

I would recommend for your budget
    A Nemox Fenice @ $ 579.00
    or
    The Nemox Dell Opera with grinder @ $799.00
    From Sponsor (no free plug here)

KK

You will buy a Silvia at the moment from at least one of our sponsors for less than $700. You will be buying a proper espresso machine as opposed to a kitchen appliance. Silvia will still be going long after the others are just a memory. Not sure about your grinder though.
    One thing is for sure, Silvia will soon let you know if it is up to the job of grinding for excellent espresso.
    KKs suggestion is also a good one.
    All the best with your deliberations.

Cheers,
    Alan

Your grinder doesnt cut it (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by 486C656566665C486C706E6C030 link=1243072888/2#2 date=1243075856
    I would recommend for your budget
    A Nemox Fenice @ $ 579.00
    or
    The Nemox Dell Opera with grinder @ $799.00
    From Sponsor (no free plug here)

KK
    Welcome "squirrel".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

This is a great combo "squirrel" and can be personally recommended as I owned an almost identical (although separate) system. Build quality is very high and the internals are of a similar quality to the Silvia and will provide you with years of reliable and great performance... 8-)

Cheers,
    Mal.

I woiuld certainly go with the nemox with grinder. The grinder has a lux burset and from reviews ive read they are pretty darn good value. The nemox is 9/10ths the machine the silvia is at far less price. Consider a rocky silvia combo is around 1200 and I think you get the picture.

Good luck with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by 0539243F353423363E35510 link=1243072888/4#4 date=1243079980
    Your grinder doesnt cut it (pun intended).
    Quote Originally Posted by 1B242225383F0E133E283D34510 link=1243072888/6#6 date=1243093753
    I woiuld certainly go with the nemox with grinder. *The grinder has a lux burset and from reviews ive read they are pretty darn good value.
    Hmmm... sounds like the grinder factor will need to weigh heavier in my deliberations than I had hoped...

Excuse my ignorance but what makes my Breville grinder so ordinary compared to the one in the Nemox Dell Opera? *

Oh - and thank you everyone for your advice so far!

the breville wont grind fine enough for a reasonable espresso pour.

I had one breifly, and at its finest, was getting 15 - 18 second gushers with my 6910 (that was updosed and tamped hard).

Bare minimum recommended on this board is a Sunbeam EM0450 / 0480, but usually recommended (if you can) to push budget a little higher to get a better grinder.

In saying that, I like my 0480, now that the burrs seem to have settled in, its pretty consistent (a few notches either way for different beans) and I am now in a routine that I am achieveing consistent shots.

The 6910s seem to get a hard time on this forum. Like anything, if its looked after properly (cleaned regularly, not overdosed and manhandled when loading a shot) it "could" last a while, if not, then it will most likely die a quick and painful death, but in general, electronics (PCB boards etc) + heat + moisture <> long life.

I would be inclined to go with the machine above with built in grinder and relegate your breville to plunger only duties

Sen

Thanks for the advice people. *
    Does anyone know of a Brisbane-based distributor of Nemox machines? Id really like to try before I buy.

For what its worth, I have had the Sunbeam EM6910 for two & a half years and to date, no problems. It makes 3-4 cups a day. Cheers.

radgy with that little usage you should get another two & a half years out of it if the electronics dont fail.

I had one at work where it did a minimum of 12 cups a day and the collar was worn within 12 months.
    The good thing about the work one was that it showed me what the potential life of a 6910 was.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7F6C696A740D0 link=1243072888/10#10 date=1243209430
    For what its worth, I have had the Sunbeam EM6910 for two & a half years and to date, no problems. It makes 3-4 cups a day. Cheers.
    And

Quote Originally Posted by 5965786369687F6A62690D0 link=1243072888/11#11 date=1243210299
    radgy with that little usage you should get another two & a half years out of it if the electronics dont fail.

I had one at work where it did a minimum of 12 cups a day and the collar was worn within 12 months.
    The good thing about the work one was that it showed me what the potential life of a 6910 was.
    Yep... Agree... If looked after, it is more than capable... barring any electronic fails (note can and does happen to the best of them).

Normally have at least 6 - 10 runs a day on my home one and over teh last 8 weeks (me being at home) that has increased significantly... Little if any ware, other than changing a group seal recently... And that was just me being anal after a major clean.

Like TG said... The one at work has been in use for a about 7 months (average users and some with big pecks) and needs a new collar ASAP. It was second hand and about 12 months old to start with...

After reading the other thread with Coffebeasts electronic problem, I went back to my place of purchase yesterday and bought the extended 4 year warranty...machine is only 3 months old so they were happy to do it.

Just in case...

And hey caffeinated squirrel, heres a present for ya ;D

Everyone needs an avatar ;D ;D ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 262E363C21450 link=1243072888/13#13 date=1243216868
    After reading the other thread with Coffebeasts electronic problem, I went back to my place of purchase yesterday and bought the extended 4 year warranty...machine is only 3 months old so they were happy to do it.

Just in case...

And hey caffeinated squirrel, heres a present for ya *;D

Everyone needs an avatar *;D ;D ;D
    Interesting and smart in many ways... Sure the collar my be excluded due to use etc... But it is not That expensive and a relative easy replacement process if your handy..

However any electronic board problem etc... May well be covered and thus cheep insurance...

Oh... I also love the pic... *How long to find a coffee drinking *rat of the trees * :D

Reminds me of the chipmunks movie when they were given coffee and they were bouncing around the room!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 71647F7B65746F160 link=1243072888/3#3 date=1243077517
    You will buy a Silvia at the moment from at least one of our sponsors for less than $700.
    Where, where? I couldnt find any less than $800 (Sorry, for thread hijack...) Im in Melb.

Squirrel,
    Ive been looking at buying too, the problem is that for $50 more you can get a thingamijig and for $100 more you can get a funkythingamedoo and so on, and so on until, crap Ive spent WHAT? *sigh*

But, Im a firm believer in you get what you pay for and Silvias seem to be the way to go, plus theres a very decent resale value on these. Its probably worth the extra if you dont get bored easily and are going to be willing to put in the time to get the best out of this machine. Its not going to be a *homemachine that makes fake crema to impress un-knowing dinner guests. That said, you can get cheap Brevilles from the factory outlet in Fitzroy.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 6772607B7A76130 link=1243072888/16#16 date=1243226248
    Ive been looking at buying too, the problem is that for $50 more you can get a thingamijig and for $100 more you can get a funkythingamedoo and so on, and so on until, crap Ive spent WHAT? *sigh*
    I had a laugh!!!

12 months ago I started looking and was interested in the silvia and possibly the lux grinder. Then I found the nemox and thought that would be great because it was a bargain and I could get the grinder and coffee machine for the same price as the silvia.

About 3 months ago I had decided on the silvia because it uses commercial portafilter etc and was built better. I also thought that I would bite the bullet and buy the rocky.

2 weeks ago I ordered a simonelli oscar and grinder. I started 12 months ago thinking of spending $700. 3 months ago the budget had crept up to $1300. 2 weeks ago I spent $1800.

The thing is I wont regret it at all as I would have been bored and annoyed at the fussiness of the silvia within 2 years and would have upgraded. The machine I have should suffice for some time to come and I can spend my money in the future on things like bottomless portafilters and nice tamps!!!!

And thats not even including accessories!!~ So factor in $x for a knockbox, $x for a non-plastic tamper, milk jug, etc etc. Its really not a cheap hobby :(

Good work Justin I had a laugh. Thats a pretty good effort - the simonellis at VBC were sooooo pretty.

Heres one for ya tashie,

I went to my local distributor (I think Perth only has 1) and was quoted $899 for the 08 Silvia and was told the 09 was on the way within 2 weeks and would cost more.

Also found out the Lux grinder has the same inards as the sunbeam cafe series only its not wrapped in stainless steel and MUCH cheaper!

Coffee Parts has the silvia listed for $689 so...

I told the shop where I was today MM about cheaper prices elsewhere....they didnt seem interested, only to forewarn about sending it back east if there was a warranty issue.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 252027213D2E294F0 link=1243072888/21#21 date=1243252001
    I told the shop where I was today MM about cheaper prices elsewhere....they didnt seem interested, only to forewarn about sending it back east if there was a warranty issue.
    If your serious about one machine... E-mail teh sponsors via their group contact e-mail... Provide teh details you looking for / interested in and any concerns..

Many of them have bi lateral arrangements and or other options should you develop a major problem... 8-)

There are the sponsors, there not always teh very cheapest :P, they do support their products (even after a resale - if done right) [smiley=happy.gif], they are contactable [smiley=thumbsup.gif], they have a history here [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]..

Trust me it is well worth the few dollars... if any, for that piece of mind... 8-)

If ya stick ya hand in a dark hole... And your not 100% sure of what is in there... Dont come winging when ya get bit.. ;)

Sounds like a plan AM.

Ill look into it and hopefully strike up a healthy relationship like most other csrs. Hope they go easy on the delivery charges tho (hint-hint) :P