Thread: Advice On Purchasing For A Beginner

Advice On Purchasing For A Beginner

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Ive been looking at buying a coffee machine for a while now but havent done any serious research until this week as Ive just arrived in London from Perth. I used to have a massive coffee machine at work and used to work in a shop that had a cafe years ago and its great to find out that some of the scary terminology used on this forum is actually referring to things I already knew about!

My dilemma, as is often the case, relates to the issue of price. After reading through all the info on these forums, I decided that the Rancilio Silvia & Rocky combo looked good. Unfortunately, there is only one authorised distributor in the UK and there doesnt appear to be much of a second hand or varied sales market for coffee machines in the UK. At AUD$1,200 for the two, this really is above my budget. Another machine I was looking at was the Gaggia Classic. The Gaggia UK website is selling "nearly new" ones for AUD$415. They are also selling nearly new Baby Classics for the same price. This seems much more reasonable price wise however I cant seem to find much info on here about the Gaggias in general (apart from someone who purchased and Espresso Pure and seemed to like it - I can get one of those nearly new for AUD$250).

Regarding the grinder. I can get a Rocky 2008 with doser for AUD$420 or, on the cheaper side, a Dualit Burr Coffee Grinder 75002 for AUD$155.

Essentially then, Id be inclined to go for one of the Gaggias and the Dualit grinder but Id just like to hear some opinions on these models and also on where to buy in the UK. Would this cheaper combo be *that much* worse than the Silvia/Rocky combo?

Also, Im apprehensive about spending over AUD$1,000 on equipment because its likely Ill be moving back to Aus in 2-3 years, at which time Id be likely to upgrade to something more expensive.

Re: Advice On Purchasing For A Beginner

Do you really need an espresso machine

Get a good grinder and a British made Cona Syphon and experience a still nice but different coffee experience

You can also go for a Presso to mix things up a bit

Then they can travel with you all over Europe and back Down Under

KK

Re: Advice On Purchasing For A Beginner

Welcome PerthBoy.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I recommend that you sign up with the TooMuchCoffee community while in the UK, more or less the equivalent of CS here in Oz but without the capacity to buy all the great beans we manage here. Theyre a good bunch and as passionate about great coffee as we are. Worth trying.... :)

Mal.