Thread: second hand machines, how much does age matter

second hand machines, how much does age matter

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This is my first post so, I am not sure if there are too many more like this. I *have been looking at the second hand market of machines like the rancilio silvia and the nuova oscar or other quality machines. What I would like to have feedback on from people who have owned or been around these kind of machines, is if is possible to purchase these 2 - 4 6 years old and given they have been looked after, and what is too much to pay for them ( I had seen rancilios sold here second hand for near new price, but I figure there was a reason for that which I do not understand). Are these as worth purchasing or should one start new, also what tell tail sign can one look for in such a machine being well kept.

Thanks in advance

Re: second hand machines, how much does age matter

Welcome to CS busterai, the reason you see a lot of Silvias for sale and fetching good prices is because of their quality build and the fact that CS members take care of their equipment and would not sell faulty machines to their fellow members.
    Providing they have been cared for, use filtered water and backflush and descale regularly, these machine will last for a long time compared to consumer machines sold at the big whitegoods stores.

Hi busterai, and welcome to CS.
    A popular modification to Silvia is the addition of a PID controller, which really tames her, eliminates temperature surfing, and generally makes her a delight to use. However, the PID kits are not cheap and this would be reflected in the price asked for a Silvia so fitted. My PID kit cost me about $380 and this was when the aussie $ was about equal to the US $.
    For interest, you can buy a new Silvia at the moment from Coffee Parts, (one of our sponsors) for $689.
    All the best with your search.

Cheers,
    Alan

welcome to CS!!
    As previously stated, the reason machines like the Silvia resell for so much is because they are such good quality and build!! providing they are looked after well they will last for a very long time. The other thing that is great is that you can always buy replacement parts for them if needed. These are espresso machines rather than appliances.
    If you can afford the extra $$ get a new one- warrantee etc. but if not buying one from a CS should see you with a great and well maintianed machine that should last you many more years!

Good luck- contact some of our sponsors for prices<<<<<<.

I read on CS that buying a secondhand coffeemachine is (almost) the same as buying a car. Think about mileage/usage, servicing/backflushing, age of machine, that sorta thing.

If you dont know enough to buy a secondhand car/espresso machine then you might want to splash out that extra money to buy a new machine with a warranty.

Hope that helps :)

I just sold my previous setup (Sunbeam EM6910 / EM0480) to a CS member second-hand and bought a second hand Maver Makin from a Site Sponsor.

Two things:

1. I could have sold me Sunbeam pair to someone at work, but I looked after those two meticulously and wanted them to go to someone else who would carry on that. I have seen how some uneducated non-CSers look after their machines and didnt want that fate for my couple. So, for those reasons, I felt comfortable selling them on CS.

2. My pre-loved Maver is beautiful - I dont know his history insofar as cleaning, etc but I knew that Chris from Talk Coffee would bring him up to scratch and, for half the price I would have paid for a new one, it was well worth the risk. That was a complete bargain, though, and they dont come along often. I think also the previous owner must have almost just had the Maver for show because it almost might as well be new - very, very few scratches on it.

So positive experiences for me from both sides of the fence.

Cheers
    Di

Hi all

Thanks for the warm welcome and your advice guys, *:)

I am actually looking at an OSCAR at the moment, its probably more than 3 yrs old, the stream seemed ok, although took a long time (10mins) to heat up. When flushing *and pouring, there was no creme, not sure if that is cause the seller had stale coffee or whether that is caused by the lack of temperature. Does not seem to have been used in a few months. Is there anyone with Nuova Oscar experience, I guess my main concern is having to fork out a lot for parts, or large component I that I am not aware are important. I am looking to pay less than 350, so figure I can replace some parts, but I am not that sure of what issues or simptoms to look for. My only experience is with smaller, gaggia expresso and breville machine. The main reason I like the oscar is what I have read about the extra pressure when steaming.

Cheers,
    George

There was a recent thread on the Oscar here:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1241411382
    Have a read.

10 minutes is NOT a long time to warm up a machine.
    30 minutes minimum recommended on most; I prefer an hour on mine to be safe.

Just a note, from reading the above linked article

"m unsure of what Luca was eluding to, but more likely than not, like some other brands, they may run red hot and perhaps the OPV valve is set to nuke?"

Are saying these could be dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by 4255535445524149200 link=1243676878/8#8 date=1243910567
    Just a note, from reading the above linked article

"m unsure of what Luca was eluding to, but more likely than not, like some other brands, they may run red hot and perhaps the OPV valve is set to nuke?"

Are saying these could be dangerous?

No, more like they are going to burn the coffee (not explode like a nuke - hot like a nuclear explosion)

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

I bought a 4yo silvia and a new rocky, the only problem i had was rust on the black part of the frame, one of my up and coming projects is to strip it and get it sandblasted and powdercoated again, other than that, a few seals from coffeeparts(site sponsor) and it was good as new, a PID can be added later, and can even be done by yourself if you have a little know how, doesnt HAVE to cost $400+
    good luck mate, you are surrounded by experts (and im not one of em by any stretch of the imagination!)

Well I have taken the punt and got the Oscar for 300 so hopefully I might be able to get some ok coffee from it once I follow some of the tips i found from this site. I am going to first look to do some cleaning from the inside out. What recomendations would anyone suggest other than change basket, run a lot of the cleaning solution through it, and run from filtered water only. Also when using the cleaning powders, do you still have to use filtered water?

I have just finished restoring a 1970s SAMA lever machine. The build quality was so good - restoration was easy- and I would be confident to say that the machine works as well as when new- and can be expected to do so for another 20 years or more before another major service is called for.

Every day I make coffee using my 1960s Pavoni- and I have found it makes better coffee than my 1990s Pavoni- I dont know why but there it is.

So can vintage or second hand machines be a good choice? Damn straight they can.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 352934342328322F2827252920202323460 link=1243676878/12#12 date=1244362663
    I have just finished restoring a 1970s SAMA lever machine. The build quality was so good - restoration was easy- and I would be confident to say that the machine works as well as when new- and can be expected to do so for another 20 years or more before another major service is called for.

Every day I make coffee using my 1960s Pavoni- and I have found it makes better coffee than my 1990s Pavoni- I dont know why but there it is.

So can vintage or second hand machines be a good choice? Damn straight they can.
    Too right Jack!

Our 65 Faema e-61 looks better than brand new and definitely pulls far better shots. They hadnt thought of thermosyphon restriction, Scace devices or group balancing in those days....

The pleasure I gain from using it- priceless!