Thread: Warranty on the Silvia??

Warranty on the Silvia??

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

We just bought a Silvia brand new and after about a week, the boiler stopped working. *We contacted the retial store and were told that some part (not sure exactly which) in the Silvia is not covered by warranty! *It this true?? *:-/

They sent us some instructions by email and was suggested to try press on the red button (near the thermostats) to see it helps. *After doing that, the boiler still not working! >:( The store then suggested to bring the machine for a repair?!? *Is this a fair warranty on the Silvia??

We feel we should get an exchange for another machine. *:(

Can anyone please share your experince on this?

Cheers,
    Sylvester

Re: Warranty on the Silvia??

I was told the one thing that Rancilio wont cover is damage to the boiler. This was from the place I bought it from, not Rancilio.

This is because not priming the boiler or keeping the boiler full will damage the element. If they find evidence of this (user error) then they wont cover it.

iSYL what actually happened to your machine?? what were you doing when it stopped working??

Yeah unfortunately heard the same thing here. :( Its why there are quite a few discussions here about making sure the boiler is primed before doing anything- best to do as a part of your cleaning regime.

Take it in and get them to check it out, and let you know what is wrong, and worst case scenario what it will cost to fix.

Yeah I was told cooking the boiler isnt covered. You have to be careful to prime the boiler each time after you steam.

Not keeping the boiler primed will lead to This as you can see a technician wil soon diagnose the cause of a burnt out element, having said that I recall a CSr was able to prove the machine was faulty and got warranty.

From what i have read, correct me if Im wrong...

After using the steam wand, I need to turn the knob and switch off, then turn on the brew switch (or hot water switch) to refill the boiler.

Is this correct?

I read that elements can be fried from one big misuse or lots of small misuses - what does that cover? Making caps for a dinner party and not refilling the boiler everytime milk is steamed?

The Silvia has quite a small boiler, and steaming actually uses a fair bit of water each time. So...after you have steamed for one round of coffee (or about 6 max) it is time to: 1. turn off the steam button, 2. turn on pump until water runs out the steam wand, 3. go back to stand-by (steam off, wand closed, pump off).

If you need to steam more milk then turn on steam button and wait for pressure to build again.

If you want to make more coffee you can either wait until boiler temperature drops, or pump more water through steam wand until heater turns on.

Re-filling boiler often will ensure a long heater life.

Greg

TC

Hi Sylvester,

Sadly, you have cooked your element and this repair is not covered by warranty as its considered user error. You will most likely receive an account of around $250-300 for the repair.

Do learn to prime your boiler by switching the steam button off IMMEDIATELY after texturing milk and then using the hot water switch to refill the boiler. You will know your boiler is full when a continuous stream of water is coming out of the wand. I often run the group into a jug first to get rid of most of the steam.

These machines dont have a brain and you need to think for them. I dont recommend attempting to texture more milk than required for 2 shots. Push it beyond that and you will risk premature element failure.

Sorry, but I fear that you will experience an expensive lesson.

Shame that your vendor didnt provide at least some basic instructions as to how to care for your machine. *:(

2mcm

Thanks guys for the inputs. Actaully I was asking this for my boss. Not sure if he followed the instructions while using the machine . :-?

Ill check with him to see if this is the case. Much appreciate with all the inputs.

Cheers,
    Sylvester

You have an unlucky boss who is about to learn an expensive lesson!! But at least it wasnt ur machine :)