Thread: What to Buy.....Total Newbie?????

What to Buy.....Total Newbie?????

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

As you can see by my join date I have only just joined this forum. After reading it for a while I figure there couldnt be a better place to start and get advice on buying a coffee machine. Ok so let me tell you the situation I have.

Currently I spend $5 every morning buying coffee which is very nice however it is in a way a complete waste of money......where talking $1300 per year ( only one coffee a day) too much and I am not doing it any more. This got me thinking. I am prepared to spend good money and buy a high quality machine which I can use at home.

Where should I start, I have looked at the expobar Minore III and the Rocket Giotto but is this total over kill? Dont be driven by price in your response because I would like to know what I should be looking for and then decide if I can afford it later.

Another important point is.......and I am being honest when I say this...I have never made anything other than instant coffee, So you could say that I am an absolute Novice. BIG learning curve coming up, but Im sure all of you here would agree that this is an art form right and will require learning.

Thank you in advance

Regards

Ryan

TC

Re: What to Buy.....Total Newbie?????

Hi Ryan and welcome...

My advice is firstly to set yourself a budget...

With $1200- around $2k you will get yourself a machine and grinder which will pull a shot and then you will have to wait while the machine builds pressure to produce steam. We call this style of machine a dual purpose single boiler machine...

$2.5k to $4k will get you a package which will operate as those in cafes do. You can do whatever you like, whenever you like. You mentioned the Giotto and Minore III- these operate this way.

There are cheaper coffee making "appliances" at your local department store. These can be short lived.

My advice is to meet with a sponsor close to you so that you can can provide a brief and also to see what these machines can do. Id also suggest that you chould allow some funds for some quality training.

If you can indicate where you live, we can point you to your local sponsor/s. We have outlets in Melbourne and Sydney and can also offer you a phone or Skype consultation if required.

Happy shopping ;)

Chris

Welcome, NO such thing as overkill ;)

You can make really decent coffees with Grinders at the $3-500 mark and machines from 600 - $3k ::) Have a look here regarding the number of people that are on second Sunbeam/Breville etc and stay away from the applience end if the budget allows.

As Chris mentioned above set a budget and consider your usage and number of drinks you want to make at a time. Single boiler machines are fine for one or two but a pain if you want to make for 5 or 6 due to the time to go to steam and back. So then you head up to $2k+ country.

My advice is buy a quality machine & grinder once and enjoy great coffee for 20 years +

And no its not overkill
    KK

The other thing to consider is not to skimp on a good quality grinder $400-1000 but this will be a large determining factor in what ur coffee is like, not the other way round.

The easiest way to work it all out it look @ our sponsors <<<< go visit them and talk with them about what u should get and have a go of them. It is a little come complicated than u think and the sponsors will help heaps!!

Keep an open mind and look at all options.

Good luck!!

Wow guys,

Thank you for your replies so far, It is clear that I have come to the right place where people know what they are talking about.....KK Im with you mate,,,,,buy a good one and be done with it.

With this in mind, If I said my budget was between $3000-$4000 Where would we go t from here?

By the way I am in Townsville.

Regards
    :)
    Ryan

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4D47404F5A475A1A162E0 link=1244351661/5#5 date=1244355004
    Wow guys,

Thank you for your replies so far, It is clear that I have come to the right place where people know what they are talking about.....KK Im with you mate,,,,,buy a good one and be done with it.

With this in mind, If I said my budget was between $3000-$4000 Where would we go t from here?

Regards
    :)
    Ryan
    You will get some great gear with your budget Ryan and never need to upgrade. There are quite a few CSers in Townsville and we have a a few clients up that way.

I have sent you a PM and am happy to call you of have a Skype consult to give you some pointers...

Chris

Ryan welcome to CS.

I jumped straight into the deep end with an Expobar Leva (a little less fancy than the Minore III).
    That coupled with a quality grinder (Macap M5) had me making good coffee from the first shot.
    Admittedly I had already done a barista course so knew what I was supposed to be doing.

Before all that I too had only bought from cafes or drunk instant at home.

Learning curve? Yes?
    Worry about it? No.

Some people start off with cheap machines and most eventually buy more expensive ones further down the track.
    Some do this sooner than others and some do it several times.

I was fortunate enough at the time to be able to spend what I did and saw it as a saving because I wasnt going to spend money on upgrades.

My machine is more than capable of keeping up with me on my best days and when I have many guests to cater for and I still dont foresee the need to ever buy another machine.

Do your research.
    Talk to the sponsors.
    Set yourself a budget (maybe 2 years worth of takeaways?, it will hurt less in the long run).

EDIT: (I have to start typing faster)
    Quote Originally Posted by 777D7A75607D60202C140 link=1244351661/5#5 date=1244355004
    If I said my budget was between $3000-$4000 Where would we go t from here? *
    Making even me jealous.

How much to spend really depends on how much good coffee is worth to you. The learning curve is not too bad if you can follow instructions and are manually competent.

I suggest that you find a shop that sells a great cup of coffee (our members could help here). That will help you decide on whether coffee is a priority in your life.

Ive loved coffee for many years, but only since I had great coffee did I get hooked on spending what I needed to duplicate that at home.

If you are already hooked on great coffee then upgrading costs more in the long run. (This is from experience. :()

Have a great trip!

Greg

Site Sponsor

Hi Ryan,

For your budget, you have some great options, and while the Minore and Giotto and others will all do a good job, there are subtle differences (and not so subtle differences) that mean one may be better suited to your particular requirements. Best thing to do as already stated above to is talk to a sponsor and were here if you would like some advice.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 747E7976637E63232F170 link=1244351661/5#5 date=1244355004

Dont overlook the Bezzera for great build quality

Talk coffee & other sponsors sell Bezzera as well as Barazi in Brisbane

KK

Hi Ryan, with the budget you have stated you can get top class equipment and after a learning curve be producing great espresso for decades to come.
    I have gone through 3 grinders and 3 espresso machines in 3 years to get to where I am now, its been a great learning experience but if you can start off your coffee journey with premium gear go for it mate!!!! ;) ;)