Thread: VBM Domobar or Silvia???

VBM Domobar or Silvia???

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I love the technical details and am awash with info, but can someone simply advise me of which way to go? If a man had a grand to spend and was very keen to spend as much time as it took to master a machine, what would he buy? Second hand is fine. I will keep tally and go with the winner!

Re: VBM Domobar or Silvia???

Hi Mick,

As far as I understand, the Domobar Piccolo is a much better coffee machine. However, second hand prices for Silvia are about $500-$600, whereas second hand Domobar Piccolo go for about $1200. Thus, you are not really comparing apples with apples here. Perhaps a fairer comparison would be a with a Silvia equiped with a PID. They are second hand about $850 or so.

I suggest you visit one of the site sponsors to see machines "in the flesh".

Cheers

Daniel

Hi Mick,
    I would probably go with the VBM because of the E-61 group, if you can stretch the money that far.
    There are a couple in Hardware for Sale at present at around the price you stated.
    Which ever way you go it will still be a single boiler machine.
    If you want multiple milk drinks at once, save a bit longer and buy a double boiler or HX machine.
    All the best with your quest.

Alan

I would save my money for a little longer and get a HX machine straight up

But my vote for your question is the VBM
    Flynn_aus has one for sale

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1244083665

Mick you did not mention a grinder

KK

Thanks KK - also GregWormald is selling his: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1242373988

I havent used a Silvia so I cant compare but I did decide on a Piccolo (Domobar) because of the reported greater themostability and the larger boiler - and the VBM name.

I watched Sal from ECA prepare a brilliant latte on a VBM Piccolo demo machine earlier this year - the point is that it can be done.

Based on your requirements, Mickstar, the Sylvia will fall in under $1000 and require a learning curve. So will the Piccolo at a higher cost for a better quality machine. *But, as KK mentioned, you need a good grinder as well.

Another point you need to consider is how much coffee you will need to prepare. Single dual-purpose boilers such as the Silvia or the VBM are great for preparing 2 coffees at a time.

as others have said Mick both machines are great machines but both come with very different price tags. Both are single boiler machines and both are good machines of high quality. Comes down to personal choice on looks, quality, brand but also the big $$ difference. You have compared two similar machines but very different price tags.

Bigger question- what do you want your machine for and how many coffees at a time do you want to make- if more than2 then worthwhile looking at dual boiler or hx machine. Also as stated what grinder are you matching it up with??

Obviously the VBM is a "better" machine, but that is far to say the Silvia is not also of high quality and capable to very high quality shots!

Thanks guys for input so far. The machine is basically for wife and I at 2 coffees at a time 2 twice a day on average. We both do have big families which sometimes requires possibly 5-6 coffees at a time but this is only maybe once or twice a month.

I currently only have a kitchenaid grinder and a breville 800ES with Krups basket which I have learnt to "master" over the last few years and can pour a decent shot.

The look of the VBM is MUCH better, and does the larger boiler make much difference in reality for my requirements?

What would be the best value entry level dual boiler or hx machine and ball park costings?

Quote Originally Posted by 11353F372F283D2E5C0 link=1244468982/6#6 date=1244552935
    What would be the best value entry level dual boiler or hx machine and ball park costings?
    Bezzera BZ 99 at just under $2000 new
    There may be others

KK

Mickstar,

IMO, for general coffee making, the important difference between Silvia and the VBM is not the size of the boiler, but the temperature stability of the E61 brew head.

The VBM will easily do 5-6 *coffees* at one go. Running the pump for pulling a shot automatically refills the boiler, and it does re-heat the 60 ml. of new water very quickly. Ive never had an issue.

5-6 *milk* drinks may be more hassle, depending on the quantity of milk steamed. I can manage 6 easily, but my lattés are all piccolo size (shot + steamed milk = 100 ml.) so Im only steaming a maximum of 400-450 ml. of milk at a time. I would not want to do 6 large milk drinks without refilling the boiler, and this would take a couple of minutes to come back up to steaming temperature.

Greg

Greg

Would the Silvia do the same, or only half due to boiler being half the size? In both cases is it only an issue of waiting a few minutes after refilling the boiler to go again?

Im only a piccolo man myself, so not too concerned either way.

Do you think the additional $500 or so is worth the money? Is the difference in shot quality noticable?

Mick

The Silvia works basically the same way--they are both "dual purpose, single boiler" machines. With the smaller boiler I *think* the recommendation for Silvia is to refill the boiler after two or three large milk drinks, but two should be easy. Someone else may know for sure.

Ive never owned a Silvia, only used one, but the shot quality on the VBM is very high. When my Silvia-level machine finally died permanently, and I was replacing it, I thought the difference was worth the money. The VBM was roughly the same cost as a PIDed Silvia, with the advantage of the larger boiler and the E61. The E61 is renowned for being very forgiving.

Greg

Thanks heaps Greg, your help is starting to make my decision a little less hazy...time to sleep on it.....and dream of making more money?

Mick

Mick glad ur discissionus becoming easier & that we all can help! Enjoy the journey :)

Mick

IMO forget the Silvia. Had one new with a PID and loved it but the difference in performance eg: consistent shots and back to back milk based drinks, these machines are worlds apart. Also you will need a good grinder to match the VBM because it will notice the difference.

Just my 2 cents of course ;)

Chris

Chris

Great tip. Unfortunately I cant spend $2k on dual or HX so I love the sound of the piccolo. Ill have to start doing some sums. Im getting excited at the thought...

Mick

mick, i think as has been said check out the for sale section there are currently 2 Piccolos for sale- can pick up a bargin!! Good luck mate!

I have purchased the VBM from Steve, and couldnt be happier! Top bloke and a great machine. Im starting now to understand the differences of a capable machine...coupled with Bills Beans (almost as good as yours Andy) and a little practice, coffee heaven.

Thanks for all your help lads...
    Mick

Great choice! I have only recently had the pleasure of an e-61 group and it makes all the difference in the world. Had silvia with pid for a long time and loved her but the consistency of temperature of 4.5kg of brass is just impossible to beat... having said that if the piccolo fluctuates in temp for steam youll need to make sure you dont overheat it !!

Quote Originally Posted by 02262C243C3B2E3D4F0 link=1244468982/16#16 date=1244985063
    I have purchased the VBM from Steve, and couldnt be happier!Top bloke and a great machine.
    Gee thanks Mick. Im glad that my Veeb has gone to a CSer and that it is delivering as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by 2E212B3D2A384F0 link=1244468982/17#17 date=1244987612
    youll need to make sure you dont overheat it !!
    I gave Mick a rundown on protecting the boiler including the ECA steaming guide.

Enjoy Mickstar--the VBM will provide you with loads of great coffee. I found that once I had (well almost) mastered the Piccolos E91, other E91s were an easy transition.

Greg
    ps--dont feel obliged to drink all your practice runs! ;D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7A4F585A6A524F505C51593D0 link=1244468982/19#19 date=1245151203
    Enjoy Mickstar--the VBM will provide you with loads of great coffee. I found that once I had (well almost) mastered the Piccolos E91, other E91s were an easy transition.

Greg
    ps--dont feel obliged to drink all your practice runs! ;D
    erm...e-61 Greg?? :-?

E61?, E91?, Whats 30 years to an eclipse?

Greg
    oops.

Quote Originally Posted by 695C4B4979415C434F424A2E0 link=1244468982/21#21 date=1245156630
    I thought you were implying that yours is 50% better than other group heads :P

Quote Originally Posted by 444E5B4C4C435751220 link=1244468982/22#22 date=1245189640
    Quote Originally Posted by 695C4B4979415C434F424A2E0 link=1244468982/21#21 date=1245156630
    I thought you were implying that yours is 50% better than other group heads *:P
    You mean its not??? :(

Greg

Excellent Mick, thats the beauty of CS............but wait theres more ;D

Is it? If so, its a selling point for your Veeb

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1242373988

Hey, who sneaked that link into my post? *;)