Thread: Sunbeam EM 6910 pump starts by itself!

Sunbeam EM 6910 pump starts by itself!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have had my em6910 for about a year. Just recently it has a mind of its own and is talking to us. Around 10-11pm at night with the machine switched off (power on at p/o), it will start pumping for a second or two then stops. It repeats at random intervals until I switch it off. water drips out of the group head. To make it worse it is very intermittent, only happens about once or twice a month but always at a similar time!!!
    Apart from this the machine has been faultless. Anyone had this experience?

A_M

Re: Sunbeam EM 6910 pump starts by itself!

Quote Originally Posted by 59646F6F6E79780B0 link=1246756829/0#0 date=1246756829
    I have had my em6910 for about a year. Just recently it has a mind of its own and is talking to us. Around 10-11pm at night with the machine switched off (power on at p/o), it will start pumping for a second or two then stops. It repeats at random intervals until I switch it off. water drips out of the group head. To make it worse it is very intermittent, only happens about once or twice a month but always at a similar time!!!
    Apart from this the machine has been faultless. Anyone had this experience?

I have not had... *

I do know that when in stand by mode it can do some things that may seem out of the norm..

If happening at the same time... Then if like some places ie. Sunshine coast Qld... They do a changeover of power stations / grins at about 10 or 11 and ... Yep some equipment on standby will do funny things... *When on hols we always know the time as the lights always dim and flutter for a moment or two.

PS... *I always turn mine off at the wall for many reasons... *Note: The issue of off at the wall has been discussed many times and not for *just the EM69010 but all systems for many reasons..

Go green and switch off at the wall *;)

Thanks for that, we do have offpeak hotwater which can switch on around that time, but I checked and the meter was not on and if that was the case you would think it would happen more often, anyway, sounds like a good idea to switch it off at the P/O. I have been cutting down on standby power but didnt unplug the sunbeam as it was reading 0 watts.

;D I was thinking when I read the title...

"Well, someones got themselves a fully automatic machine then!" ;D

Pity its not starting up for you at about the time youre up out of bed, ready for that first cup! ;)

Someone else had a similar issue a while back and it turned out to be water leaking on to the mainboard and shorting the circuit. You might want to take it in for a checkup as a precaution for this kind of thing.

That was me. Not a good thing - and dangerous to boot. There was a leak which was shorting the main board. It waas "reparied" once, but then recurred and couldnt be repaired, so I got a new machine. However, after that, I lost confidence in the SB and returned the new unit, unopened, to the retailer because it was still under warranty.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 303A3722213E3F2233560 link=1246756829/5#5 date=1246833519
    That was me. Not a good thing - and dangerous to boot. There was a leak which was shorting the main board. It waas "reparied" once, but then recurred and couldnt be repaired, so I got a new machine. However, after that, I lost confidence in the SB and returned the new unit, unopened, to the retailer because it was still under warranty.
    Yep... The board is in an interesting place.... While free from most fluid leaks... There is at least one fitting that can cause a problem and if you get a fine pin hole some where; then water can spray every where...

Note: No machine is totally immune from the ingress of water.

AM

I had a crazy thing happen like this the other week. I went to fill the water back up in the back of the tank and water spilt onto the cup warming plate and the power was tripped.

When I turned the power back on the pump started all by itself and kept on pumping, it would not stop. I had to turn the machine off at the wall. I waited for 10 seconds and turned it back on at the wall then turned on the power button on the machine. ALL GOOD.

Tonight though I was making myself a coffee and started to warm the milk. I started steaming the moilk and about quarter of the way steaming it started to hiss at me (like the wand was too deep in the jug) I stopped the steam turned off the steam knob then back on again. This time just small burst of water coming out, NO steam.

I then decided to turn the machine off then on again. When I turned the amchine back on and pressed the power button, all it does not is glash the power button on off on off. The group head is heating up but I was wondering if the Milk and group head thermoblock and decided to die and the hot water thermobloc is still in operation but the stea, thermoblock is not working and will not begin operation until all heating elements are at their designated temperature.

I have written and email to Sunbeam to find the nearst service agent as the one of the computer is not valid anymore. :(

Sorry to hear about your problems :(

There are a lot of EM6910 users here who will be interested in the outcome, so keep us posted please ;)

mmmm sounds like people are having fun with 6910s. Well can I add another strange one. I have an old 4800c that I took into my office @ work. Now it will be switched off (as it only has on/off no standby) and randomly every now and then the pump will "chug" once and stop.
    Very weird!! :D :D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 170B06040C0C070A0610630 link=1246756829/7#7 date=1248015719
    I went to fill the water back up in the back of the tank and water spilt onto the cup warming plate and the power was tripped.

Now that is interesting as there should be no holes and teh warming plate should be able to manage WET stuff and even a puddle of water...

However if it did get else where, I would expect to see what you described...

If it ran over the front and got down and inside the front display / switches it could also ingress into some strange places.

Quote Originally Posted by 170B06040C0C070A0610630 link=1246756829/7#7 date=1248015719
    When I turned the power back on the pump started all by itself and kept on pumping, it would not stop. *I had to turn the machine off at the wall. *I waited for 10 seconds and turned it back on at the wall then turned on the power button on the machine. ALL GOOD.
    After any spill, I always wait some time... Most equipment can be fully sumersed if not on and once dried out - suffer no electrical problems.

It is when the moisture / conductive elements are around that shorting takes place and components fail.

Let us know how you go..

PS. I need a dead EM6910 and board to be able to investigate and see what the fix / cause actualy is.

Many service people and the companies, do not allow / support board repairs... However it can be simple.. Then again it may NOT, if the main cpu is dead... But sounds like a driver / output....