Thread: New Silvia steam wand for old

New Silvia steam wand for old

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does anyone know whether the new steam wand for the Silvia is available to purchase in Australia? Ive contacted the States but they do not post overseas!! I know that the new wand does not fit into the old tap and I was told that there is an adaptor being made to solve this problem.

Re: New Silvia steam wand for old

Try contacting Coffee Parts<<<<<<< over there they will know. Have heard it being done although i dont think its just unscrew Kd new in.
    Let me know u go!!!

Wholelattelove.com will ship overseas:
    NON-Sponsor link removed in accordance with Site Sales & Posting Policy
    The Mod Team.

Shipping information is at the bottom. *You may have to pay a bit for it :( *They also usually run a coupon of some sort on their facebook page.

Yay! Espresso parts in the States stock the new steam wand. Ordered yesterday and the new knob. The wand comes complete with the valve. Total including postage is $153.00 AU :( alot but what the heck!!

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Best of luck with the new tip and arm!, considering it myself, might wait till an aust supplier gets itim guessing you needed the whole assy? just wondering, what was the reason for getting the 3 hole steam arm? just for a change? problems getting microfoam?
    curious
    cheers

As far as I know, Coffee parts are developing an adaptor to fit the new wand onto the old tap as it has different threads. No idea how long that will take. The reason I want a new one was because the new one swivels and because of the length. Actually, the new wand came at first with 3 holes but it was changed to 1 hole as it was not as effective. So I should be receiving a 1 hole tip hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by 3820262D3D2B2E4A0 link=1247718816/3#3 date=1248225851
    Total including postage is $153.00 AU *
    I tried to order the one hole tip from where you ordered yours... its $6US for the tip and $38 for the shipping.... OH GOSH.. NOoOooOo... :o..

I just ordered a couple of things from them. Shoulda asked around if anyone wanted to split the shipping :S

Yes I know, very expensive. The person that took care of my order sent it express for no extra charge. Noice! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 2B33353E2E383D590 link=1247718816/8#8 date=1248359641
    Yes I know, very expensive. The person that took care of my order sent it express for no extra charge. Noice!
    WHAT!!!!! How you managed to score that deal~~~~

Hi all,

I just got my new 09 Silvia this week and it did in fact come with the single hole tip on the steam wand, which was a very nice surprise given I was expecting the three hole troublemaker :P

Cheers.

Just an update... I got an email reply from ... tada.... Coffee Parts, they will be getting the one hole tip for the 2009 Silvia early next week. *Should be about $7 replacement I hope.. still waiting for the quote.

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Hows the one hole doing so far for those that just got them?

I wanna retrofit one of them new fangled steam arms to mine ;D

let me know how you guys go with it. Once youre tried it, mastering it then I might have a crack.

good luck

Unfortunately I got another confirmation from Coffee Parts today. *They did not receive the one hole tip by itself from Rancilio.... but if anyone is interested to replace the whole arm (with the new tip)... they have it NOW!! ..... gronk ? :P ...

Quote Originally Posted by 6A7E7878626E697E6C6C6A6A0B0 link=1247718816/14#14 date=1248693824
    they have it NOW!! ..... gronk ?
    Is there a link to the part?

Howmuchiszit? :D

Quote Originally Posted by 72677A7B7E2327150 link=1247718816/15#15 date=1248694535
    Is there a link to the part?

Howmuchiszit?Cheesy
    Dont think this is it... http://www.coffeeparts.com/rancilio/rancilio-spare-parts-6.html .. you can give them a buzz.... hopefully no more than $150... I didnt ask, since I was just after the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by 786C6A6A707C7B6C7E7E7878190 link=1247718816/16#16 date=1248695586
    Dont think this is it... http://www.coffeeparts.com/rancilio/rancilio-spare-parts-6.html ..
    Nup thats the old one. I did a quick search before and couldnt find the new one listed yet.
    I hope it aint $150 or thereabouts. I dont want one That badly ;D

I do need to rebuild my steam valve though. The dripping has been getting progressively worse lately.

But geez I love my Silvia! Best machine Ive ever owned! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by 33263B3A3F6266540 link=1247718816/17#17 date=1248695938
    Nup thats the old one. I did a quick search before and couldnt find the new one listed yet.
    I hope it aint $150 or thereabouts. I dont want one That badlyGrin
    Probably they hadnt updated the site yet... the lady on the phone said, she just got them today if I heard correctly....

Quote Originally Posted by 33263B3A3F6266540 link=1247718816/17#17 date=1248695938
    But geez I love my Silvia! Best machine Ive ever owned!Smiley
    I wish I could say that too, but Im always thinking about a HX machine upgrade (+new grinder I had a laugh).. the time it takes for my Silvia to build up enough steam is getting to me... hopefully the one hole replacement can improve things a bit....

Quote Originally Posted by 223630302A26213624242222430 link=1247718816/18#18 date=1248698073
    the time it takes for my Silvia to build up enough steam is getting to me...
    Yeah Silvia has a nice little collection of quirks, but Ive made soooooo many brew with mine now its all just second nature.
    I just enjoy the whole process :)

BUT, Im only making coffee for 1 or 2 people. If I had to make multiples Id need to seriously consider a machine upgrade

If the tip comes off the Silvia wand, can you just thread a bit of copper wire through the holes and do it back up?

I did this to my VBM and it made it so much easier to get microfoam in small amounts of milk. And the wire was free as it was just lying about in the shed! :)

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 66736E6F6A3733010 link=1247718816/19#19 date=1248698742
    Yeah Silvia has a nice little collection of quirks, but Ive made soooooo many brew with mine now its all just second nature.
    I just enjoy the whole processSmiley

BUT, Im only making coffee for 1 or 2 people. If I had to make multiples Id need to seriously consider a machine upgrade *
    me 2... but it annoys me when I had to get the stream light going twice be4 I have enough stream for one round....

If I didnt have to buy myself the Herman Miller Chair, the Silvia would be gone soon I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by 46736466566E736C606D65010 link=1247718816/20#20 date=1248698936
    If the tip comes off the Silvia wand, can you just thread a bit of copper wire through the holes
    I refuse to make coffee out of that.. I had a laugh...

gronk62, I purchased a new wand (including the tap) and the new knob for the Silvia for $155 AU through Coffee Parts, including postage. The wand info is: R_1011N Rancilio Silvia Complete V3 Steam Valve $70.65 US.

Still hasnt arrived but I know its ready to be delivered to me soon :D
    Im just hoping its the single hole one :-?

Yay! you wont believe me but just as I finished posting my messege, the parts arrived at my desk. When I opened the box I was happy to see a single hole wand pocking out :) What a decent chunk of metal the new wand is and its nice and stiff in the movement!
    Cant waiting to install it now, any suggestions? Do I need any sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by 10080E05150306620 link=1247718816/22#22 date=1248835645
    gronk62, I purchased a new wand (including the tap) and the new knob for the Silvia for $155 AU
    Thanks for that. At that price I think I can live with the original :)

Im with u brink I love my coffee but not sure Id my $155 for a wand and tap :o ......hmmm sounds like a lot of money. But hey if it works!!

So hows it goin Tonify ?

Did ya get it all installed and working? :)

Not as yet, didnt get time on the weekened but Ill make time tonight.......Gym first!

Ok, I put aside time last night to install the new wand and valve. It was the first time Ive pulled apart my machine and found in straight forward.
    I had to remove the top and back covers to get to the screws for the front cover. I had to do that to remove the old wand and valve assembly with ease.
    Everything was going smoothly until I fitted the new one. The opening for the wand underneath had to be made larger as the new nut is bigger. I did this with a round file (Boy that ST metal sheeting is tough!) It took me 4 goes to get it right. Once in and front cover put on, I found that the knob did not align therefore rubbing when turned. It took a while to fix this by repositioning the valve and slightly bending the mount the valve is screwed to.
    Eventually I was happy with the alignment and operation of the knob. I re-attached the copper pipe, tested for leaks and reassembled unit!

So now I have a V2 Silvia with a V3 steam wand and knob!

Looks great. Machine looks more meaner and sexier ;) wand is more solid and practical. Now all I need to do is to see how it performs... after I get practicing. :P

pics? ;D

Is there much of a difference between the 2008 model steam wand and the 2009? *From the photos I cant really tell. *Me having just purchased the 2008 model I am kind of hoping not :D

takenthesmeg, does your Silvia have a chrome/black steam wand knob in front? If it does, then you have the latest. You will also have a group handle with the Rancilio logo as well.

Martial Monkey, Ill post pictures when I have time but basically its a Silvia with the new steam knob and wand.

Quote Originally Posted by 5941474C5C4A4F2B0 link=1247718816/31#31 date=1249434059
    takenthesmeg, does your Silvia have a chrome/black steam wand knob in front? If it does, then you have the latest. You will also have a group handle with the Rancilio logo as well.
    That would be a no. *But from the photos on the Coffee Parts website, I couldnt tell the difference between the 2008 & 2009 steam wand. *Cant miss the noticing the sexy new steam knob and group handle on the 2009 model thou:)

Ok, I made myself a Cafe Latte yesterday and tried the steam wand for the first time with milk. First thing I noticed is that, when expelling the excess water, it seemed to splutter more and took longer to remove the water. Once done, steaming was great! Seemed like there was more pressure and steamed quicker then with the old one. Whether thats good or bad, Im not sure. The extra positioning of the wand was handy and cleaning it after steaming was much easier as it has a smooth finish and no sharp edges. The larger knob makes it easier to turn and felt smoother to operate.

Ive included a pic of my Wanna-be V3 Silvia.

she looks nice, kinda like a 2009 ;D ;D

glad you got her all together and working good. congrats!!

Nice. Any chance of a side-on, close up of the steam wand? Its nice to know keeping up to date is possible. I am hoping to keep my Silvia for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 24313B353E243835233D3537500 link=1247718816/35#35 date=1249542042
    I am hoping to keep my Silvia for as long as possible. *
    I dont think Id ever sell mine. Its pretty much the perfect machine for my usage.
    It might get a big brother one day if the need arrises for me to make multiple coffees on a regular basis.
    But for now it serves my needs better, WAY better, than any other machine Ive ever owned.

Silvia rocks! *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Just an update for those still with the 3 holes tip... Ive managed to import the one hole tip replacement for the Silvia and have been using it for over a week now. *I can tell you right now that it worth the money... the steam power is unstoppable... making micro foam has never been easier... *GET IT if you still havent got it. *8-)

I agree. I find it very easy to create micro foam with the new single hole wand. For a single coffee, Ive been using a 300ml jug which I find quicker and easier to produce that perfect creamy milk.

Has anyone found an adapter to fit the V3 steam wand to the V1 and V2 machines. Gets real exoensive when you have to buy the tap too!

Here is a photo of my mates V2 machine fitted with a V3 ball joint wand without replacing the tap. ie. new wand and adapter only.

Hi , Where do you get it and how much ? Thanks

NMO

Does anyone know if the silvia v3 steam wand will fit on a silvia v2 with Auber pid fitted between steam wand & portafilter group. :-?
    cheers

Does any supplier have an adaptor to fit the new v3 model wand to the v2 model. I dont need a complete new valve.

Thanks ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 2D2E2C630 link=1247718816/42#42 date=1278329092
    Does anyone know if the silvia v3 steam wand will fit on a silvia v2 with Auber pid fitted between steam wand & portafilter group. :-?
    cheers
    Yes it does i converted my v2 to v3 and my pid is a snug fit between the steam ball joint nut and the blew head auber sticks out of the front about 2mm because of the bigger nut.

plc

Hope its not bad form resurrecting an old thread. I just fitted a V3 steam wand kit (including the knob) to my V1 Silvia. It is a great addition to a fantastic machine. I had a squeaky and leaky valve so jumped to the upgrade instead of repairing the old valve.

Parts were purchased from Coffee Parts (site sponsor) and they were delivered next day.

Milk gets to temperature much quicker and I am just adjusting my technique to the new wand.

Goes beautifully with some Harrar from Andy.

Best wishes to all,
    Paul

Does anyone want to sell (or give) me their old V1 steam arm? I am repairing a vintage Sama espresso machine and the old Silvia steam arm looks like the perfect part. Can anyone tell me what the size of the nut that connects the arm to the valve is? The Sama I am repairing is 18mm I think...

Happy to swap it for something...