Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Backflushing EM6910

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Carlingford NSW
    Posts
    691

    Backflushing EM6910

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

    I do a water backflush every day and a chemical backflush every three weeks. The manual recommends a minimum of every three months depending on usage. *It would make better sense if they said after every 50 or so shots.

    I pull four doubles every day and today the shots were tasting dusty. *I performed the chemical backflush and was amazed at the difference it made to the shot taste even though there was no real evidence of coffee residue. *:o

    So after 84 doubles it apparently needed the backflush.

    I think Ill schedule it every two weeks from now on, thats after every 56 shots.

    Does this line up with others experience *::) *Or could there be another factor which affected the taste of the shot?

    I had not changed beans, grind, dose or tamp - so I cant imagine what else other than cleaning made the difference.

    Appreciate any comments or suggestions *:)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Coffee2Di4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ipswich, QLD
    Posts
    1,472

    Re: Backflushing EM6910

    Hi Rusty

    I found that a chemical backflush did the machine a world of good, but a lot of oils built up behind the shower screen and this possibly leads to a rancid taste also.

    Rather than a chemical backflush every two weeks, try doing it every four weeks and in the middle fortnight, do a good showerhead scrub and clean. This is where Cafetto or something similar comes in handy - just put a little bit (1/4 teaspoon) into a bowl with some hot water, take out your shower screens - make sure you put the screw somewhere safe and not able to go down the sink - put your showerscreens and your baskets into the solution for five minutes or so and then take them out and give them a good scrub with a toothbrush. Rinse them off, do a quick eyeball check of your blue seal to make sure theres no damage, a quick wipe over of the seal and the exposed parts (I was known to give the area around the seal a gentle going over with the toothbrush also just to get rid of any gunk that had accumulated in and around the seal as well), put the shower screen back together and screw back together and Bobs your Auntys live in lover.

    By the way, before starting all of this, remember to remove the water tank! :)

    Cheers
    Di

  3. #3
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Backflushing EM6910

    Quote Originally Posted by 715640524A390 link=1247899491/1#1 date=1247901867
    I found that a chemical backflush did the machine a world of good, but a lot of oils built up behind the shower screen and this possibly leads to a rancid taste also.

    Rather than a chemical backflush every two weeks, try doing it every four weeks and in the middle fortnight, do a good showerhead scrub and clean. This is where Cafetto or something similar comes in handy - just put a little bit (1/4 teaspoon) into a bowl with some hot water, take out your shower screens - make sure you put the screw somewhere safe and not able to go down the sink - put your showerscreens and your baskets into the solution for five minutes or so and then take them out and give them a good scrub with a toothbrush. *Rinse them off, do a quick eyeball check of your blue seal to make sure theres no damage, a quick wipe over of the seal and the exposed parts (I was known to give the area around the seal a gentle going over with the toothbrush also just to get rid of any gunk that had accumulated in and around the seal as well), put the shower screen back together and screw back together and Bobs your Auntys live in lover.
    Fully support the above approach..

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Carlingford NSW
    Posts
    691

    Re: Backflushing EM6910

    Thanks Di and AM *:)

    You are recommending an additional cleaning that uses the same quantity of the cleaning chemical as the full backflush without actually doing the backflush. *I would imagine that it would do nothing that the full backflush doesnt, so why not do the full hit each time *:-?

    Am I missing something here *::)

  5. #5
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Backflushing EM6910

    Quote Originally Posted by 7B5C5A5D50290 link=1247899491/3#3 date=1247971880
    Thanks Di and AM *:)

    You are recommending an additional cleaning that uses the same quantity of the cleaning chemical as the full backflush without actually doing the backflush. *I would imagine that it would do nothing that the full backflush doesnt, so why not do the full hit each time *:-?

    Am I missing something here *::)

    I think were getting a bit confused...


    1: Do the back flush and use teh rubber blind etc every 4 weeks or as required...

    2: Do a manual clean of teh shower screen as well at the same time.. Before or after, but ya need the seal etc in the system to run the cleaning program... As per teh USER Manual.... I do it after to ensure all teh crap is OUT...

    3: Do a manual clean of teh shower head etc half way through the time period that you define above.. In this case at about 2 weeks...

    The manual clean is about ;

    do a good showerhead scrub and clean.

    This is where Cafetto or something similar comes in handy
    - just put a little bit (1/4 teaspoon) into a bowl with some hot water,
    - take out your shower screens
    - make sure you put the screw somewhere safe and not able to go down the sink
    - put your showerscreens and your baskets into the solution for five minutes or so and then take them out,
    - give them a good scrub with a toothbrush.

    - Rinse them off
    - do a quick eyeball check of your blue seal to make sure theres no damage,
    - a quick wipe over of the seal and the exposed parts (I was known to give the area around the seal a gentle going over with the toothbrush also just to get rid of any gunk that had accumulated in and around the seal as well),
    - put the shower screen back together and screw back together;

    Bobs your Auntys live in lover.

    The crap in the shower screens and head / seal grove etc etc will not get fully cleaned by any Auto method.. Be it a Sunbeam or a GS3 or what ever... They all need a manual clean up at some stage..

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Carlingford NSW
    Posts
    691

    Re: Backflushing EM6910


    Got it :D

    I need another dose of caffeine just to let it sink in ;)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    59

    Re: Backflushing EM6910

    Dont forget to rinse your partners toothbrush thoroughly before returning it to the bathroom ;)

  8. #8
    Senior Member Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Carlingford NSW
    Posts
    691

    Re: Backflushing EM6910


    Quote Originally Posted by 7B404E4B2F0 link=1247899491/6#6 date=1248102334
    Dont forget to rinse your partners toothbrush thoroughly before returning it to the bathroom

    And destroy the coffee taste she loves so much :D



Similar Threads

  1. Too much water backflushing?
    By ush85 in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th June 2011, 05:32 PM
  2. Backflushing explained
    By robusto in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 20th July 2007, 12:16 AM
  3. Silvia Backflushing
    By marcrs in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7th July 2007, 02:57 PM
  4. backflushing chemicals
    By coffeeNcake in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 26th February 2007, 12:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •