Thread: Blind Taste Test

Blind Taste Test

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Silvia which Im really happy with but am considering an upgrade. *A new grinder - a Mazzer Mini is first on the shopping list irrespective of whether I upgrade the Silvia or not. *

I predominantly have short blacks and usually make 1 latte a day for the wife and whilst theres times when people are over and the deficiency of a single boiler machine for pulling multiple shots and making more than a couple of lattes is obvious, this probably doesnt happen often enough to be a problem. *If I do upgrade it would be to an E-61 machine but I cant see the sense in spending $1,800 + for another single boiler machine. *This means spending up around $3,000 for a HX machine. *So I have to ask myself - why would I upgrade and would the coffee taste any better (notwithstanding the obvious benefits of a HX machine allowing multiple shots and lattes)?

So, after all that heres my question. *Assuming you used the same grinder, the same batch of fresh beans and the same barista in a BLIND TASTE TEST would you pick the difference between a coffee made with the Silvia and one made with an E-61 group machine, say a Vibiemme Domobar?

A_M

Re: Blind Taste Test

Quote Originally Posted by 7C4E427D2F0 link=1250569137/0#0 date=1250569137
    If I do upgrade it would be to an E-61 machine but I cant see the sense in spending $1,800 + for another single boiler machine. *This means spending up around $3,000 for a HX machine.
    Some of teh sponsors have some great specials.. No need to spend what you looking at if ya want better than a Silvia...

As to single boiler... Do not compare the way a Silvia might work / perform as to other more upmarket machines.. There are significant differences...

Quote Originally Posted by 7C4E427D2F0 link=1250569137/0#0 date=1250569137
    *Assuming you used the same grinder, the same batch of fresh beans and the same barista in a BLIND TASTE TEST would you pick the difference between a coffee made with the Silvia and one made with an E-61 group machine, say a Vibiemme Domobar?
    Or an EM6910 or a EM3600 or a Brevil ...

What is your key point... That is of interest, to you........

I would suggest that if you know what your doing and you requirements are met... Only a small chance in the first instance... Of picking any difference...

But if you looking to make XX number of coffees in a short time and ther are all double shots and a couple of large flat whites... etc....

Then I guess it is down to teh EM6910 Vs teh Vibiemme Domobar :D

The others will not cut it; in the throughput...

Hi Sam, I went from a PID Silvia to HX recently, the main reason for this was being able to produce multiple milk based coffees in a reasonable period of time. I had 16 people for Xmas day and I spent most of the day on Silvia producing great coffee but it was very time consuming (the price ones pays for producing a decent Java!!).
    I am very happy with my setup now but I would probably still have Silvia if I was only producing espresso and the occasional milk drink.
    I loved Silvias espresso and I love my Isomacs espresso!!!
    :) :)

Thanks greenman - so is it fair to say, in your opinion, that in a head to head the Silvia wasnt outclassed in the quality of shots it produced compared to the HX?

Gday Sam,

As gm has touched on, it really comes down more on the side of how you drink your coffee. Do you drink mainly espressos, milky coffees, long blacks, etc.... A HX/Dual Boiler machine is targeted at the user who is going to make at least as many espressos/long blacks as milk coffees; that is its intended use.

If you drink mainly espressos/long blacks, then there would be little benefit in your opting for an HX/Dual Boiler machine, much better to go with a Single Boiler Dual Purpose E-61(if thats your preference) machine or just stick with the Silvia and go for a more capable grinder. A great grinders results WILL be detectable in the cup and will be there for you, should you ever decide to head into HX territory.

All the best mate :)
    Mal.

+1 on the above comments

Grinder First
    PID next.... see site sponsor PID KITS