Thread: What to buy

What to buy

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK I have $2000 to spend on a new coffee machine + grinder. Most of the coffees are milk base but the occasional espresso is required. Usually it will be 2 cups at a time but most weekends up to 4 milk based drinks. Any ideas would be appreciated. I live in Mt Gambier SA, we only have a Harvey Norman with not a great range to choose from, so I will probably by the Machine over the net, most probably from a sponsor to this site!!

Cheers
    LY

TC

Re: What to buy

Quote Originally Posted by 414459594148725442454C5F432D0 link=1253783918/0#0 date=1253783918
    OK I have $2000 to spend on a new coffee machine + grinder. Most of the coffees are milk base but the occasional espresso is required. Usually it will be 2 cups at a time but most weekends up to 4 milk based drinks. Any ideas would be appreciated. I live in Mt Gambier SA, we only have a Harvey Norman with not a great range to choose from, so I will probably by the Machine over the net, most probably from a sponsor to this site!!

Cheers
    LY
    Hi LY and welcome,

The question to as is- How important are milk drinks?

If youre using your machine mainly for espresso and the odd milk drink and are prepared to wait while the machine comes to pressure to produce steam, you can then consider machines like the VBM Domobar Piccolo and Diadema Perfetta. These will allow you to buy a good grinder- which is critical...

If milk is important to you, things get a little tough and push you towards heat exchanger type machines. You might consider something like the Simonelli Oscar or Expobar Office semi-auto, but youll struggle to fit a a good grinder in your budget...Worst case scenario has you over budget by a few hundred dollars...

As for grinders, try for a Rancilio Rocky as a bare minimum. Better still a Compak K3T or similar...

Please feel most welcome to make contact if youd like to chat about some options...

Chris

Thanks chris,
    Yes I must have the milk base the misses and her friends enjoy cappuccinos and lattes on the weekends so with the latter 2 you suggested, will I be able to steam same time as coffee is being made?

LY

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 606578786069537563646D7E620C0 link=1253783918/2#2 date=1253786489
    Thanks chris,
    Yes I must have the milk base the misses and her friends enjoy cappuccinos and lattes on the weekends so with the latter 2 you suggested, will I be able to steam same time as coffee is being made?

LY
    You sure will LY 8-)

Chris,
    I have had a look at both and are leaning towards the expobar office. Tell me what accessories come with this machine. i.e. tamper scoop etc!!
    If any
    LY

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6F6A77776F665C7A6C6B62716D030 link=1253783918/4#4 date=1253788658
    Chris,
    I have had a look at both and are leaning towards the expobar office. Tell me what accessories come with this machine. i.e. tamper scoop etc!!
    If any
    LY
    Nothing of any use other than a single basket. You get a crappy plakky tamper and coffee scoop as I recall. We ditch the dunny plug and replace it with a real blind filter basket ;)

Chris

OK
    Chris just reading through a couple of post for the expobar office and came across This problem in the machine.

"Its pretty good for the price but ships at 12 bar and needs thermosyphon work as it runs hot hot hot. Without a full calibration and thermostability upgrade, its a pig to use. It can be turned onto a nice machine though after the upgrade. We do this on all Office FA & SA machines now...."

If I was to buy one is this problem fixed or upgraded before it is shipped.
    Hope all the questions are OK
    LY

TC

Yes LY,

We include the upgrade with the Office Semi-auto.

Chris

Hey There LY,

We too had similar issues when contemplating our new purchase, mind you our budget wasnt as much as yours... being that we too are from Mount Gambier and I work within close proximity to your wife, you should pop round one day soon and check out our Machine. Miss Silvia is like a child to us. Neither of us know how we managed to livewithout her... Give me a buzz and we can discuss... ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 6F7A6873447544717468731B0 link=1253783918/8#8 date=1254093914
    and I work within close proximity to your wife,
    Er...you folks know each other then... :-? ;D

yeah, his wife sits two desks away from me.. I gave him this address to ensure the search for the machine was was fun filled and as confusing as ours..... ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 342133281F2E1F2A2F3328400 link=1253783918/8#8 date=1254093914
    you should pop round one day soon and check out our Machine
    Thanks tash n josh
    I will get you girls to set up a time to drop around and sample your coffee.

Hey guys, its good to see fellow CSs giving a hand, nice to know ppl still care, also i know that coffee talk are great with advice and theres has helped many times before. I am sure you have read 100 times already but the top 3 things in order to get great coffee are:

1. FRESH BEANS
    2. THE BEST GRINDGER YOU CAN AFFORD
    3. THE BEST MACHINE YOU CAN AFFORD WITH THE *MONEY LEFT

If you do it this way you can learn on a lesser machine then upgrade in a few years.

I own a sunbeam 6900, with your budget you should beable to get way out of the thermoblock areana but i would look straight towards heat exchange machines due to the fact you are looking mainly at milk based drinks and boiler machines need priming and some mucking around so ready the machine for steam.

Its only my opinion

ring some of the site sponsors im sure they will be more than happy to aim you in the right direction

yes this site is most helpful I am reading and learning a lot and I may stretch my budget to $2500 to get a HX machine (to save wishing I went for one in the first place after I purchase) and decent grinder, maybe!!
    I have got it down to a couple of machines.

1. Isomac Tea is looking OK and I have read a couple of good reviews over the net.
    2. Expobar office e61 lever again some good reviews.

Grinder
    ISOMAC. Granmacinino
    or
    Rancilio Rocky- Doserless
    Any suggestions
    LY

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 7C7964647C754F697F7871627E100 link=1253783919/13#13 date=1254195653
    ISOMAC. Granmacinino
    or
    Any suggestions
    LY
    I would leans towards the Rocky. I have not used one but did own a Granmacinino for a short time. The most annoying thing was how many grinds in holds in the chute. All grinders do this but the GM moreso than any others I have experienced. Its otherwise a very solidly built little grinder that has a better bling factor than the Rocky.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 6D6875756D645E786E6960736F010 link=1253783919/13#13 date=1254195653
    1. Isomac Tea is looking OK and I have read a couple of good reviews over the net.
    2. Expobar office e61 lever again some good reviews.

Grinder
    ISOMAC. Granmacinino
    or
    Any suggestions
    LY
    Hi LY,

We sell all 4 "bits of kit". If you can, go for the Rocky rather than the Granmacinino. The Rocky build quality is *much* better for not a lot more. The Expobar Office Lever and Isomac Tea will both do the job well if properly set up by the retailer.

charlie

If you can stretch the grinder budget a little bit more *:o you might want to consider the likes of the compak k-3 or the anfim (ECA) ks.

Quote Originally Posted by 143B2A1C323F3D351D3F383B5E0 link=1253783919/15#15 date=1254204148
    We sell all 4 "bits of kit". If you can, go for the Rocky rather than the Granmacinino. The Rocky build quality is *much* better for not a lot more. The Expobar Office Lever and Isomac Tea will both do the job well if properly set up by the retailer.

charlie
    Charlie
    Just took a look on the site and for the Isomac TEA you say "Jetblack Espresso starts with a standard Tea and upgrades it to provide even better temperature stability. This turns a good machine into a great machine."
    What is the upgrade?
    LY

Quote Originally Posted by 54514C4C545D67415750594A56380 link=1253783919/17#17 date=1254216325
    Quote Originally Posted by 143B2A1C323F3D351D3F383B5E0 link=1253783919/15#15 date=1254204148

charlie
    Charlie
    Just took a look on the site and for the Isomac TEA you say "Jetblack Espresso starts with a standard Tea and upgrades it to provide even better temperature stability. This turns a good machine into a great machine."
    What is the upgrade?
    LY
    Thats a great question LY!

At the risk of copping some flack, Ive been curious about this for quite some time. The Tea had a reputation amongst some that it ran hot. Then recently, a few people claimed to have worked with the manufacturer or importer to make some modifications whereby the Tea was now thermostable. So I really dont understand why theres a need for an upgrade, unless it has nothing to do with temperature stability. :-/

Hope someone can answer that then. It could have been an older model, one of the sponsors states NEW Isomac TEA!! and on the coffeeGeek site it calls it a TEA II. Maybe these problems have been fixed!!

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 26233E3E262F153325222B38244A0 link=1253783919/17#17 date=1254216325
    Charlie
    What is the upgrade?
    Hi Little Voharn,

We add a thermostability upgrade which does away the need for a cooling flush. Just walk up and pull the shot.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 527D6C5A74797B735B797E7D180 link=1253783919/20#20 date=1254533845
    We add a thermostability upgrade which does away the need for a cooling flush.
    Thanks for the answer Charlie. Would still be interested to read a definitive response, and more curious than ever as to why you would add any type of thermostability upgrade when...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1240742933/3#3

:-/

Quote Originally Posted by 0A2534022C21232B03212625400 link=1253783919/20#20 date=1254533845
    Hi Little Voharn,

We add a thermostability upgrade which does away the need for a cooling flush. Just walk up and pull the shot.

charlie
    Thanks Charlie
    Will see if anyone can go further on it for Olsmokey

coffee machine

Hi guys.
    I need a help from you. Ive just finished a barista course and I wanna practise it at home, so I need buy a machine. My question is if does have a point buy a cheap machine like to $500, if I can make a good coffee on that machine or better is buy something more expensive. Im a novice, so sorry if the question sounds stupid.
    many thanks.

Re: coffee machine

Hi Chronos, and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

To give a helpful answer we would need some information about you, what sort of coffees you want to make, how many, how often, and what sort of budget you have.

A $500 machine (+ a $? grinder) is going to be very different in both workings and output to a commercial machine, so there may be a lot less transfer of skill than you might expect.

Greg

I would like find a job like a barista but I dont have an experience so I was thinking for now I can practise at home until I find something. About budget I dont know. I dont wanna buy nothing expensive cause Im student from Europe and I dont know for how long I will be here, so Im willing spend about $700 with grinder. Or what do you think should I wait until I earn some more money??

many thanks :)

As Greg said chronos, a cheaper machine is not really the same as working on a commercial one.

I have a much more expensive machine for home and my experience on it did help me get a job as a barista.
    So Im not saying its not possible just a lot harder.

Heres a picture of one like mine. Youll see it looks more like something youd see in a cafe than in someones kitchen at home.

Im afraid you are going to have to look hard and hope that the practice the course has given you, and some passion for coffee, might land you a job.

Good Luck.

I agree with Thundergod chronos. As for job prospects, knowledge and passion is the key! At least get all the nitty gritty theory nice and sound, if you have that and show a passion for coffee someone will be more likely to want to "train you up".. Good luck though :)

thank you very much guys....Ill do my best and I hope I can find something and after that I can buy a proper machine ;D

TC

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1264077883/11#11][splithere][/link][splithere_end]