Thread: Rancilio Lucy

Rancilio Lucy

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all.

Picked up a Rancilio Lucy last week, managed to pull a reasonable shot after a bit of practice.

I would like to modify the low water light to show boiler on/off similar to the Silvia. Can anyone help with details on how to do this?

Cheers.
    Burkey.

Re: Rancilio Lucy

There is a diagram here for the Silvia, the light is basically in parallel with the boilers element....The Usual electrical caveats apply: If you dont know what you are doing, steer clear, these volts can kill you.

I dont know the Lucy, but If it has a Low water light I would be inclined to keep that....a pretty useful feature.
    Just fit another lamp somewhere.

With Thanks to Randys wonderful site
    http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/silviawire.html

Thank you for that information reubster, a good idea to have another lamp, didnt even think of that. Will get my electrician friend to have a look at it.
    Regards
    Burkey.

Have a look at the last post here.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1233383515/19#19

Andrew. :)

Thanks Andrew, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Burkey

Taking the Lucy Plunge

Hi All,

A quick hello, Im considering taking the plunge into buying a Lucy (one has come up at a good price) Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on Pros and Cons.

I am considering PID for it, has anyone done that here? Im a double ristretto drinker personally, so steam doesnt really matter.

Cheers,

Steve

TC

Re: Taking the Lucy Plunge

Hi Steve and welcome.

There are lots of threads on the Silvia and plenty on the Rocky too. Whatever applies to that gear applies also. There are also a few threads on the Lucy and a heap on the use of a PID.

Try using the quick seatch tab >>>>>>>. It will deliver plenty of reading material.

THe Lucy is a good machine and if operating correctly, is a safe buy.

2mcm

Thanks 2mcm,

And thanks for the thread merge, just didnt want to re-open a completely dead thread. With Cup Coffee and Veneziano around the corner Im looking forward to good home espresso! If only the financial aid controller allows me to splurge :P

Quote Originally Posted by 457E647E7970477F7872797E6F170 link=1255432219/7#7 date=1300601446
    Thanks 2mcm,

And thanks for the thread merge, just didnt want to re-open a completely dead thread. With Cup Coffee and Veneziano around the corner Im looking forward to good home espresso! If only the financial aid controller allows me to splurge :P
    Mines referred to (quietly), as the Chancellor of the Exchequer.* *:)

FYI for anyone buying a Lucy and fitting a PID the group/steam arm on mine was a lot closer than the Siliva. Therefore I dont think the position that Auber PID fit (between the group and steam arm) will work. Someone might beable to verify that.

Also the Lucy is slighty larger is size than Silvia so make sure you get a longer wiring loom for the power wires of the PID.

A few have taken the plunge. Hopefully they will let you know how they went.

The only cons I ever had was having the grinder/machine in one. It was tight and compact but if you wanted to upgrade grinder or machine you have to move on from Lucy. :( Also for some insane reason there is no element light!!!! You cant see when the element is on or off so temp surfing is a nightmare. The solution is to get a sparky to all a wire to siliva specs and the light becomes the element light, gronk it, or PID it.

Pros, well its got a low water cut off which the silva doesnt, built in quality grinder. Shes heavy at 25kg and makes a great coffee with no hassles. I really miss mine.

Oh, and by a Synesso double basket... makes a big difference.

If you want to ditch the big grinder adjustments just do the rocky mod but use 4mm tubing to fit between the stainless steel top. Made it much easier to make fine adjustments.

Lacehim

just picked up a Lucy .

here she is,

lucy2.jpg

Ordered a PID controller and will be externally mounting it on the left side of the boiler housing (partially in front of the grinder upper housing).

think i will replace the old style steam knob as well, after using the v3 knob the old smaller one feels awkward. Also would the grinder timer right back to half a second to allow more variation of grinding time.

Also the Lucy is slighty larger is size than Silvia
    SLIGHTLY! it dwarfs the Silvia.
    Last edited by koshari; 25th November 2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: additional info