Thread: Coffee Newbie - Sunbeam 6910

Coffee Newbie - Sunbeam 6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All

Just wondering if you can help a newbie out. Recently purchased a Sunbeam 6910 and am having trouble pulling a good shot.

Im using fresh roasted pre - ground coffee from a coffee supplier in Rockingham "Five Senses"

I just cant get any crema on the shot, it pulls fast and looks nothing like the shots shown on the dvd or online. The pressure gauge only moves 1/3 up :(

I assume it may have to do with the grind of the coffee / tamp of the coffee. Im using the double sht single floor basket and tamp to 3mm below the top.

Any ideas

Thanks

Anthony

Caffeine Junky

Re: Coffee Newbie - Sunbeam 6910

Quote Originally Posted by 786E617B6A6B0F0 link=1255613712/0#0 date=1255613712
    Im using fresh roasted pre - ground coffee from a coffee supplier in Rockingham "Five Senses"
    This is your problem. If you want good coffee youre going to have to get yourself a grinder. The Sunbeam EM0450 or EM0480 is your entry level point to the world of acceptable grinders.

The rule of thumb for coffee is known as the rule of three
    1. Raw coffee beans will last 3 years
    2. Roasted coffee beans will last 3 weeks
    3. Ground coffee beans will last 3 mins

Essentially you need to grind your beans just before making your coffee. Once coffee has been ground, the surface area increases tremendously so it starts to degrade quickly.

In addition to that, you need to optimise your grind to suit the beans youre using, the age of the beans and your machine. Even the same batch of beans will require slight adjustments in grind size as they age and even as the temperature & humidity fluctuate during the day.

Back to the pre-ground stuff. Are you using the pressurised or unpressurised baskets? You should be able to get plenty of fake crema withe the pressurised baskets. Also, how much are you filling the basket and and how firmly are you tamping? Lastly, start with the double basket, its much easier to get a good shot. Most of us here never use a single basket.

Hi Caffeine Junky

I understand the rule of three - i just cant afford the grinder ATM....

:( Hopefully in a couple of weeks should have a spare couple of hundred to buy the grinder.

I just tried a shot then with the pressurised basket and the gauge actually moved to halfway and a got some fake crema :)

I take this means the grind i have is too fine for the machine to use the std double basket.

In terms of tamping i put alot of pressure behind it

Anthony

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 203639233233570 link=1255613712/2#2 date=1255615376
    Hi Caffeine Junky

I understand the rule of three - i just cant afford the grinder ATM....

:( Hopefully in a couple of weeks should have a spare couple of hundred to buy the grinder.

I just tried a shot then with the pressurised basket and the gauge actually moved to halfway and a got some fake crema :)

I take this means the grind i have is too fine for the machine to use the std double basket.

In terms of tamping i put alot of pressure behind it

Anthony
    Na the grind is more than likely TOO course..

Law of physics

Think of it like a bucket of sand Vs a bucket of pebbles..

1: With sand it is reasonable well packed and only a little pressure is required..

2: With teh pebbles, ya have to tamp compress a lot harder and even then the water will still flow...

Same for coffee.

Thus it is a balance of Grind size Vs Tamp pressure

Fine grind less pressure... But then you also have to account for teh freshness or HOW STALE the beans / grinds are and the type of beans etc..

Trial and error and once ya get it right.. Ya will change teh grind / beans and have to do it all over again..

I usually find I have to adjust my grind size a few click over the week / batch of beans and sometimes change it of a morning and then later in teh day when things warm up..

Simple actually..

2 + 2 = good coffee ( where coffee 5 and the values of 2 are large)

As Am has said, trial and error, its hard to adjust with pre ground beans but maybe for the next few weeks until the grinder finds a place on your bench the dual floor double basket may be your only friend, i have found that when friends drop by with preground or supermarket beans i pull out the dual floor even with the 480 grinder as you get the flavour and crema extraction required without all the fussing round with the usual trial and error.

BTW IMHO with the sunbeam and the 480 it responds better to finer coffee and a lesser tamp but u may find different, just remember the numbers on the grinder mean nothing so i always start in the middle and go from there u may grind on 5, 15 or 25 as long as the coffee is good you are on the money.

AM let me in on a little secret the other day and i hope he doesnt mind if i let the cat out of the bag but if you take the double dual floor basket whack it in the machine and run a empty shot through it and see where the gauge goes to that is your sweet spot and thus is where you should aim to have you shots sitting to get the best out of each one.

Ne questions just let us know, we all had to learn and start from somewhere

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2431213C32373B363237530 link=1255613712/4#4 date=1255823293
    As Am has said, trial and error, its hard to adjust with pre ground beans but maybe for the next few weeks until the grinder finds a place on your bench the dual floor double basket may be your only friend, i have found that when friends drop by with preground or supermarket beans i pull out the dual floor even with the 480 grinder as you get the flavour and crema extraction required without all the fussing round with the usual trial and error.

BTW IMHO with the sunbeam and the 480 it responds better to finer coffee and a lesser tamp but u may find different, just remember the numbers on the grinder mean nothing so i always start in the middle and go from there u may grind on 5, 15 or 25 as long as the coffee is good you are on the money.

AM let me in on a little secret the other day and i hope he doesnt mind if i let the cat out of the bag but if you take the double dual floor basket whack it in the machine and run a empty shot through it and see where the gauge goes to that is your sweet spot and thus is where you should aim to have you shots sitting to get the best out of each one.

Ne questions just let us know, we all had to learn and start from somewhere
    Yep... It is a solid base line.. With some runs on teh board... You will find that a bit above has been found to give the best... But dont get hung up on it... Like teh grinders... Most readings / gauges etc are an INDICATOR... Its what in the cup that counts...

Plenty of posts as to the "Sweet spot" "5 cent piece" and other user guides for teh SB on teh forum... Just a bit of searching required... Always remember the search period... Day week, month - ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by 47515E445554300 link=1255613712/0#0 date=1255613712

I was going to question the coffee, but thats where I get mine from. They do nice beans.
    I get beans, though, and only grind them as I need them.
    Then I can change my grind size to adjust for fresh beans or 3 week old beans, temp, humidity etc.

Save up for a grinder, and then buy whole beans from them. I recommend the Colombian, or the Harvest Blend.

Then just keep mucking around with the grind size, tamp pressure etc, and youll be pulling shots like the DVD in no time.

Sounds like a lack of pressure, which would probably mean your grind is too coarse if youre using pre-ground beans. Either get the shop to grind finer or...and this is the preferred option, spend $150 - $200 on a Sunbeam EM0450/480 grinder (as a minimum entry level grinder).

All very good points but until you get the grinder ask your coffee supplier to grind very fine for comercial espresso machines, as per the sunbeam manual , then you can play with tamp pressure to get the desired effect , also as suggested only buy small amounts to last a couple of days depending on how convienient the supplier is to get to.
    This should help to keep your shots as fresh as possible ,but asap you can get a grinder.
    cheers ;)

Thanks for all your advice guys. Im currently just using the dual floor basket :( and getting okay coffee. My birthday is soon and a grinder is on my wish list.

Im trying to perfect my milk frothing - almost there. Just having trouble getting the whirlpool effect to happen to fold the micro foam all the way through if thats even possible???

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by 6F79766C7D7C180 link=1255613712/9#9 date=1256444185
    Im trying to perfect my milk frothing - almost there. Just having trouble getting the whirlpool effect to happen to fold the micro foam all the way through if thats even possible???
    That might be tricky if you are using the jug that came with the machine.

I use a 300ml jug for one flat white and have no problem texturing the milk and making reasonable latte art.

As TG said the jug that comes with the machine makes it difficult to get good movement in the milk. Also if you want to practice Latte Art you will need a jug with a good spout.

Try putting water in the jug and adjusting angle and position until you get a good rotation going. Practice will help. ;)

So... who can recommend a good 300ml jug? :)

The basic Coffee Parts one is good enough.

Hey All - Finally got the EM0480 grinder to go with the 6910 :D

Im able to pull good shots with decent crema but im still doing something wrong.

The used puck is very wet and soft. What causes this. I assume its m grind being to fine???

Thanks

Anthony

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 46505F455455310 link=1255613712/14#14 date=1257771304
    Hey All - Finally got the EM0480 grinder to go with the 6910 *:D

Im able to pull good shots with decent crema but im still doing something wrong.

The used puck is very wet and soft. What causes this. I assume its m grind being to fine???

Thanks

Anthony

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257241858

As stated previously..

Plenty of posts as to the "Sweet spot" "5 cent piece" and other user guides for teh SB on teh forum... Just a bit of searching required... Always remember the search period... Day week, month - ALL.

Could be to fine a grind, but also UNDER dosing.. 5 cent piece test... About 3 mm of the SS on the SB tamp should be showing above the lip of teh PF.... But that is on an older system... Do the 5 cent piece test to work out ya level and then go back and look at ya Grind Vs Tamp and where ya sweet spot is..

A couple of simple steps that will see you pull top shots..