Thread: Tips on convincing my wife that solid grinder/machine is better than super auto

Tips on convincing my wife that solid grinder/machine is better than super auto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone. Apart from the obvious that the coffee will be better, any suggestions would help. I drink mostly milk coffees, with occassional espresso if I think it wont be crap, my wife always goes for a milk coffee. Any bad good experiences with quality/reliability would be most appreciated. Im leaning towards Silvia/Rocky or Lelit Combo.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Tips on convincing my wife that solid grinder/machine is better than super auto

Our office has had both a domestic level super auto and a high-end one. Both needed (need?) technician servicing at least twice a year at a technicians hourly rate of pay.

The cheapest machine was $1800 and the more expensive is on lease but retails in the $6000 range. Neither made coffee as good as my old La San Marco Domus. I too drink milk coffee most of the time.

The Domus (roughly Silvia territory) ran for around 20 years and needed servicing twice in that time. I bought it originally for around $300.

Greg

Re: Tips on convincing my wife that solid grinder/machine is better than super auto

Thanks Greg, this is the sort of information Im after. I think Ive almost got her convinced, but the more information the better, especially regarding ongoing costs etc.

Taste will always win out
    Costs for service/repairs comes in at a close second ;D

KK

Your not living coffee unless you are living in coffee grind mess created by a manual machine and grinder. ;D

sorry thats probably not helpful. :-?

Tell her the Silvia/Rocky are auto.

She only has to ask you to make her a coffee.... ;D

The problem is shes going to be working from home shortly! I think Ill get the coffee duties on weekends. Probably the main reason were in the market. Good news is that shes increasingly dissappointed with coffe available easily in Geelong.

Quote Originally Posted by 253C3B3D3A3778764E0 link=1256292196/6#6 date=1256712963
    The problem is shes going to be working from home shortly! *I think Ill get the coffee duties on weekends. *Probably the main reason were in the market. *Good news is that shes increasingly dissappointed with coffe available easily in Geelong.
    Easy solution
    You need a good quality semi automatic machine
    A 50/50 compromise if you will
    but you will still need a grinder *:D

Auto Mode for the wife
    Manual Mode for you

KK

Have just purchased Compak K3 Touch grinder from Chris at Talk Coffee. I have in principal agreement to purchase an Hx machine as long as I can produce as good a doppio macchiato as Chris did from VBM Domobar Jnr ;D. My wife had said doppio without sugar and was blown away! This is from an "Ill have a weak latte, with sugar" drinker. Thanks very much to Chris, great service and advice. When funds allow I will be back. Currently enjoying the best plunger coffee Ive ever had (TalkCoffee Jumpstart)

TC

Aww shucks Krusty,

I am glad you enjoyed the shot and that the Jumpstart makes your plunger happy. All feedback on our browns is greatly appreciated!

Drop me a line when youre ready. I am massively impressed by the Domobar Junior. Its one of a few really terrific smaller footprint machines which have become available in the last 12 months...

Enjoy 8-)

Chris