Thread: brand new em6910 leaking all over the bench

brand new em6910 leaking all over the bench

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Today I bought an EM6910. I know itsmeant to make a noise, but it does seem pretty noisy! Plus there doesnt seem to be a good flow of water coming out of the group head. Then I noticed that there was a substantial pool of water under and around the machine. So I am assuming that the water is not only being pumped through the group head but also out the bottom of the machine???
    I have tried to do a search for an answer but had no luck
    HAs anyone got any bright ideas, other than waiting till Monday to call Sunbeam? or cart the bloody thing back to Myer!

Re: brand new em6910 leaking all over the bench

I have read in the past that they are reasonably noisy in general play, but are VERY noisy when first used. I think it was to do with making sure everything got primed correctly.
    If there is anywhere for the water tank to seat, check that the seating is correct.
    Also, see if you can find where the water is leaking from. If it is something strutural, Im sure they will replace it right away.

Yes they are noisy.
    Yes very noisy when first primed.

Firstly remove the water tank and push it FIRMLY back in place.

If its still leaking then take it back.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6966666A080 link=1256383311/0#0 date=1256383311
    Today I bought an EM6910. *I know itsmeant to make a noise, but it does seem pretty noisy! *Plus there doesnt seem to be a good flow of water coming out of the group head. *Then I noticed that there was a substantial pool of water under and around the machine. *So I am assuming that the water is not only being pumped through the group head but also out the bottom of the machine??? *
    I have tried to do a search for an answer but had no luck
    HAs anyone got any bright ideas, other than waiting till Monday to call Sunbeam? *or cart the bloody thing back to Myer!
    It could be a leak or that the drip tray is not in correctly. Either way lots of water and 240V is not good.

Reseat the water tank as TG suggested and check the drip tray.. Remove it and see if there is water under the tray..

If all fails - Ring SB and take it back..

thanks...i ended up taking it back to Myer today. When I looked at the display model there the water reservoir was a lot harder to remove than the one I had. The silicon aorund the seal thing in my machine looked funny so I think I had a dodgy one!!
    Now have a replacement that seems to be working fine! and its defintely not as noisy as the first machine

I thought I got a good deal too, $799 discounted by 15% in the mid season sale, plus the free coffee grinder

dear coffee snobs,

hoping to take advantage of your collective wisdom! :)

i too have an EM6910 that is now leaking over the bench. Its just over 2 yrs old, and has worked perfectly until I took it on an excursion where I didnt end up needing it. Now that Ive set it up in its old spot, its leaking on the bench.

As far as I can work out, its not the seal on the reservoir (Ive done a few tests). It seems to be leaking from underneath rather than out the back of the where the reservoir sits.

Ive taken the back cover off but couldnt see enough. Im thinking of buying a Torx screwdriver to take it all apart, but any ideas before I dive in!? :-/

much thanks to all!
    Dave

PS - Really dont want to take it for repairs at the moment. It still works fine, and Im on a sweet 1kg bag of beans from Single Origin that I dont want to go stale while Im waiting! :(

When does it leak?
    Might it be leaking under the drip tray?

thx Thundergod.

It leaks slowly but continuously, I usually notice after Im away and come back for another coffee.

Im fairly sure its not under the drip tray or the waste pipe that pours into the drip tray.

Other possibilites ??

If its leaking internally and dripping out through the bottom of the machine, realistically your repair options are to disassemble it yourself or take it to a repair center. Most likely IME is that its leaking between the pressure release valve and the nozzle that flows into the drip tray - easy way to test is leave it switched on without pulling any shots - if it leaks, the culprit is elsewhere. This will look like a slow, continuous leak as the water pools inside the machine and slowly drips out through the gaps between pieces of the case - the giveaway is that it only starts leaking after pulling a shot.

If you do end up pulling it apart yourself - do a search of this site for threads where others have done similar work and posted photos, and take note of the warnings about working inside appliances that operate on 240v power. ie, unplug, then check and double-check that it is unplugged prior to removing any covers.

I just turned over the 6910 at work and the only holes I can see are the vents underneath where you can see wires inside.

I dont like the idea that the water is leaking somewhere inside and getting close to those wires.

Be careful.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 073B263D373621343C37530 link=1256383311/9#9 date=1256707931
    I just turned over the 6910 at work and the only holes I can see are the vents underneath where you can see wires inside.

I dont like the idea that the water is leaking somewhere inside and getting close to those wires.

Be careful.
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 32212735263F64530 link=1256383311/7#7 date=1256695011
    It leaks slowly but continuously, I usually notice after Im away and come back for another coffee.
    So are you leaving it on or do you turn it off and if so on the pannel or at the wall..

Water and 240V is not good...

If you in the Brisbane area / north side... Would be happy to have a look for you..

AS there is no preasure untill the pump is ON... It suggests to me that you have a leak / split some where... And it is draining out over time...

Issue here is that when preasure is in the system.. It could be spraying about internaly... NOT good...

Now if water was leaking and spilling out around ya washing machine... Would you use it NO... You would call a repair guy as it is dangerious... But wait... You will still use the coffee machine... It does not add up... Unless it is ya partner that is using / making the coffee for you... :o

Would suggest with viggor that you unplug it and get it looked at ASAP.

the leak on mine was coming out from the back of the machine as well as from near the drip tray,as I said I think it was the seal between the water reservoir and the machine and the water was just coming out from wherever it could get out!

If you are looking for a helpful thread, look for the one started by martrix. Its a ripper :)

gotta say, so impressed and thankful for all your help!

@AngerManagement - thanks 4 offer of help but im in Sydney. Im very wary of water and 240V. I was wrong about it leaking out the main case. Ive since noticed the leak is on the side away from the electrics, otherwise wouldve sent it away already.
    @AnnB - the seal to the reservoir seems okay, and the water is certainly not leaking out of the reservoir compartment.

Ive done some more investigation. From what I can work out, theres a slow leak following pulling a shot. The leak is on the right hand side (see photo of the back right corner with reservoir door slightly ajar, including drip!), but theres no water coming out of the reservoir compartment, the leak is coming out below that. Also, the waste / pressure release seems to still be working and outputting water to the front drip tray.

It seems like the water intake and pressure release are hard parts to get access to if you take it apart. Can someone whos disassembled give me some guidance? Any last ideas before I find a Sunbeam repairer ...

thank you all so much!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4B585E4C5F461D2A0 link=1256383311/13#13 date=1256851349
    gotta say, so impressed and thankful for all your help!

@AngerManagement - thanks 4 offer of help but im in Sydney. Im very wary of water and 240V. I was wrong about it leaking out the main case. Ive since noticed the leak is on the side away from the electrics, otherwise wouldve sent it away already.
    @AnnB - the seal to the reservoir seems okay, and the water is certainly not leaking out of the reservoir compartment.

Ive done some more investigation. From what I can work out, theres a slow leak following pulling a shot. The leak is on the right hand side (see photo of the back right corner with reservoir door slightly ajar, including drip!), but theres no water coming out of the reservoir compartment, the leak is coming out below that. Also, the waste / pressure release seems to still be working and outputting water to the front drip tray.

It seems like the water intake and pressure release are hard parts to get access to if you take it apart. Can someone whos disassembled give me some guidance? Any last ideas before I find a Sunbeam repairer ...

thank you all so much!

If ya at the back... The R/H side is full of all the electrical cts and 240V

Have to go to work... But do a search as Matrix ? and I have posted many pics and even manuals on how to pull down...

However, I would suggest you contact *Sunbeamr...

You have stated it is NEW.... *Yes *some time with no coffee but much safer and depending on what they do / find... You are covered...

TG and others will have some comment as to the best agent in you area...

Contact SB NOW....

I agree, just take it back and exchange it. Here is my thread anyway. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249003655

Looks like my 6910 has developed a similar leak at the back (side opposite to the water reservoir) - also noticed that the machine has become quite a bit noisier :(

looks like a call to sunbeam on Monday - not all that impressed as Im still on my first kg of beans.

What sort of experiences have people had with SB?

Fingers crossed all goes well

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 76717F7F7069716C747D1C0 link=1256383311/16#16 date=1258801184
    Looks like my 6910 has developed a similar leak at the back (side opposite to the water reservoir) - also noticed that the machine has become quite a bit noisier :(

looks like a call to sunbeam on Monday - not all that impressed as Im still on my first kg of beans.

What sort of experiences have people had with SB?

Fingers crossed all goes well
    Do not use it... Call and log the problem ASAP.

Please update ya profile with ya location.... Some states have better service agents than others..

Hmmm struggling to see where to put my location (although Im browsing on my phone at the moment so will look again later on pc) - Im in Victoria (live in Narre Warren work in Richmond)

now to find somewhere to get my mornng fix...

Sunbeam walked me through some instructions about pushing the water tank in harder (I assume to reseat it) - strangely enough Id already tried this (and anything else accessible without the use of tools), but thought Id give it a try just in case.

No joy :(

Back on the phone to them tomorrow to see what the next step(s) is I guess...

ok.... turns out that its only leaking when Im using steam - Sunbeam have authorised a replacement machine (albeit warranty covers repair - machine isnt even 1 month old yet)

So just waiting for the local Retravision to receive the authorisation fax and Ill head on up to swap it over :)

Quote Originally Posted by 494E40404F564E534B42230 link=1256383311/20#20 date=1259126591
    ok.... turns out that its only leaking when Im using steam - Sunbeam have authorised a replacement machine (albeit warranty covers repair - machine isnt even 1 month old yet)

So just waiting for the local Retravision to receive the authorisation fax and Ill head on up to swap it over Smiley
    probably find one of the water supply tubes going to the steam thermo is simply not fitted correctly. Either way swap it and let them deal with it.
    As you can see, you definitely dont want even a drop of water anywhere in there! :-/

Yeah I figured it was probably nothing major - but being so new I thought it worth letting them deal with it rather than opening and potentially voiding warrantly... looking at that pic I see what you mean though! :o

Picked up the replacement unit this evening...

After a thorough flush through - first coffee out (after confirming the SS of course ;) ) and its a ripper!

Using the steam wand on this unit reveals that there was almost certainly a loose hose/connection on the faulty unit as the steam pressure is greatly improved - and a bit quieter too.

Top marks to SB for offering me the replacement unit when the warranty only covers repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by 42454B4B445D45584049280 link=1256383311/23#23 date=1259324887
    Top marks to SB for offering me the replacement unit when the warranty only covers repairs.
    They have to pay the repairer.
    Your new unit came out of stock and may have cost them less.
    Even if it didnt, it was already paid for whereas someone would have to stump up more cash for a repair.

D. in the picture is the Steam Pump. Water comes in via the plastic hose at the bottom and out into the Boiler via the copper piping at the top of it.

Hey all, first post :-)

I'm having a similar leak with a used machine I picked up yesterday. Had to spend 10 mins or so trying to get any water or steam coming through (hadn't been used in over a year) but with a vinegar solution things started working. Group head and hot water all work fine, but when I use the steamer, I get the leak coming from the back left side of the machine. It's a pretty bad leak as well, but it stops immediately I switch off the steamer.

In the picture in this post http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post193909; is it safe enough to open the machine up like this and then plug it in for testing - keeping hands and screwdrivers well away? I was planning to let it heat up and then start the steam wand, hopefully seeing where the leak originates and assess if it's repairable. I got the machine and grinder both for $100 so I hope I can fix it.

is it safe enough to open the machine up like this and then plug it in for testing - keeping hands and screwdrivers well away? I was planning to let it heat up and then start the steam wand, hopefully seeing where the leak originates and assess if it's repairable
    If the machine has just been operating you should be able to see where the water is without applying power.

Just look around the steam pump and check the plastic pressure relief bypass hose coming out horizontally on top of it (most likely split) and the copper lines which come out the top and into the thermoblock directly above (leaking connections or split tubing). Take care as the thermoblock gets very hot.

Be aware that when the machine is plugged in to the power there are many exposed live points especially including the tracks all over the circuit board on the left of the photo above - I would not recommend it.

Trev

Thanks Trev, but I couldn't help myself open it up and have a good look. I'm still alive. I switched it on and let it heat up, and within about 10 seconds there was water visible at the point shown in the arrow. I didn't hang around and switched off pretty quick. All the hose connections look fine, but I can come back to them later if I need to. I'm keen to find out what can be done based on what I've found out so far. Is that copper unit replaceable? Has anyone carried out this repair before, and where can I start looking for parts? I'm in Melbourne BTW.

https://goo.gl/photos/sk9pRkh6eHPEiGoe7

I'm not sure if the link to the photo will work (google photos) - I may be back to edit...
    Appreciate any advice on this possible fix.

Regards
    FrankyG

I'm not sure if the link to the photo will work (google photos) - I may be back to edit...
    I was able to view the photo OK.

That leak sure looks dodgy especially the way the water has run down over the pump - definitely not safe.

It may be that the pipe connector is just loose but as I haven't had much experience with the plumbing side of these machines, hopefully someone else on the forum can recommend the best way to seal it.

Glad you have managed to locate the problem anyway.

Trev

So, on the picture that I posted; am I right in saying that the copper tubing terminates with a 'nut' that can be completely undone? Is it just a compression seal? Cos' that's exactly where the leak is coming from, right where the tubing enters the nut. I'm gonna search the forum and see if I can find anything related to disassembling this part and possible fixes.

leaking EM6910

Hello Frank,
    Welcome to the innards of coffee machines,your Sunbeam is one I enjoy because they are so active inside!
    All the copper work seen inside these are just perfect conditions for vibration and noise,don't you reckon?
    Because of all this vibration ,it's not uncommon to find loose things in there that will allow water to flow more then expected.
    The Brass fitting onto the steam pump is effectively brass threaded onto plastic (steam pump outlet thread) this is less common as the plastic tends to take vibration better then metal to metal does however,you still have a leak there!
    I suggest you (excercise all caution with exposed hot pipes and 240 volts)remove the brass nut (both ends of copper) and clean up the mess,check the plastic outlet is sound and not cross threaded and then carefully reinstall everything again,firmly but don't over tighten.
    Working carefully ,as the cabinet is still open and there lurks danger there if touched,turn things on again and observe whether the leak is resolved.
    Should be the answer I reckon,good luck......unless your steam boiler is blocked,then thats another challenge,see how you go.
    I would have removed the entire steam boiler and confirmed it as open and clear,plenty of experts and solutions to checking this,you probably have seem them,give them a good go,when you eventually close up the machine,hopefully everything will be good again,happy steaming with no leaking!
    Cheers,
    Mick.

So I took it apart and disconnected the copper piping from the steam pump. Found that the plastic thread looked Ok...but not great. Anyway, didn't waste any time - just wrapped some plumbers tape around the thread and tried to overlap a little onto the rubber washer which was definitely worn. Put it back together and...result! no leakage. Ran through a de scaling cycle and have made a few brews (not the best brews but I'm just a beginner!) with zero leaks. Pretty happy as I got the machine and grinder for $100. I've got a few pics on the link below.

You can see that the rubber is clearly worn and slightly perished. I'm not sure how long the repair will last but at least i'm a bit more familiar with the insides of the machine now. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the rubber, or must you buy the copper pipe plus rubbers? Are there reputable sellers on the forum for parts etc?

https://goo.gl/photos/ZkHGBshNYH72897v5