Thread: Best Machine

Best Machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello everyone

Im New here as you can see

Im after a new machine and my budget around the 1K mark

I have been looking at the Sylvia ( cos it looks cool )

but wondering what else is avaiable

btw Im located in sydney so if any site sponsors could help me out
    I would be much appreciated

as my $250 sunbeam decided to give up on the weekend
    mind you it has served me well for 4 years and time for me to upgrade

Site Sponsor

Re: Best Machine

Hi Hung,

Do you already have a burr grinder? If not, you should be looking at getting a machine and grinder - eg a Rancilio Rocky.

charlie

maybe the current sunbeam 6910 and grinder package would be worth a look as well?

but yeah Silvia / rocky is a good machine and will normally "last" longer
    but needs more user input (thats good and bad depending on your wants / needs)

Lelit Combi might be worth a look as well

I have NOTHING atm

just a Jar of Nescafe :(

I did look at the sunbeam 6910 ( great deal btw )

but was wondering if the silvia and rocky grinder worth the extra $500

I do not mind spending time and experimenting ( took me 2 years to get my elcheapo sunbeam ) making a good coffee

also my main concern is I have heard that with the silvia u need to wait 30 mins to get to operating temp :-? before u can start making coffee

so if friends drop in i have to wait 30 mins before any coffees are served

Quote Originally Posted by 233E252C4B0 link=1257123884/3#3 date=1257127904
    u need to wait 30 mins to get to operating tempHuh before u can start making coffee

so if friends drop in i have to wait 30 mins before any coffees are served
    This is true of pretty much all machines, it is the bulk/mass of the group head and the group that give you the thermal stability required to pull a great shot.

You can speed up the time though:
    Insert PF & switch on
    Wait for boiler to reach temp [ie light off] It takes 2 - 3 minutes
    Pull a blank shot [ie run the hot water through the group & PF
    Wait for boiler to reach temp again
    Repeat x 2

This will pretty much get you there in 15 minutes, but your shots will still be better after a longer warm up.
    Your friends wont complain about the wait time, once they try out the coffee... ;).

Ok

this will be a good question

If you had 2 machines

sunbeam 6910 and a silvia

could u make a BETTER coffee with the silvia or vice versa

and I am talking about using the same beans , barista etc

I am leaning more towards the sylvia cos Charlie at Jetblack deserves a visit this weekend and damm the silvia looks sexy ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 6578636A0D0 link=1257123884/5#5 date=1257131004
    could u make a BETTER coffee with the silvia or vice versa
    you might own both and make a better coffee in a plunger.......

imo thats a piece of string question, you need to try both (and maybe a few others) and then decide :)

if you go to jetblack you might spend a whole lot more they have lots and lots of shiny bling sitting on the bench all warmed up go have a look its worth it !!!

BTW--if your friends drop over on the weekend, how come the coffee machine is turned off? ::)

Mine is on most of the time Im in the house, except when finished coffee for the evening.

Greg

beans

hey hung,
    basil from cofee craft,i would have to agree that the sylvia package would suit your needs ,when buying a home machine make sure your getting a real boiler,57-58 s/s head,and a valve system for backwashing and you cant go wrong.As far as temp control, hey your going to get a good cup of coffee,give a little love to the machine and you will receive a lot back. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 55607775457D607F737E76120 link=1257123884/7#7 date=1257156980
    BTW--if your friends drop over on the weekend, how come the coffee machine is turned off? ::)

Mine is on most of the time Im in the house, except when finished coffee for the evening.

Greg
    true true

and I have a 2 yo and a 2 week old so I need machine on all the time
    cos I forgot what sleep is

hopefully I can to a shop this weekend ;D or else i will have to buy online :-[

TC

Hi Hung,

Our advice would be Lelit over the Sunbeam because the Sunbeam will break- its simply a matter of when.

If the budget allows, look to Silvia and Rocky doserless and then further up the scale, a Diadema Perfetta or VBM Domobar Piccolo which has been calibrated with a Scace device is a new level again.

Talk Coffee agent Dennis of cuppacoffee has a Perfetta and Lelit as well as some other great gear on his bench in Sydney and will be only too happy to run you through them...

My advice is to spend once rather than upgrade on multiple occasions and if that means that you have to wait, a great grinder, fresh beans and a plunger or drip filter will produce a brilliant cup...

Hope that helps....

Chris

Definitely see charlie and if you can spend the extra go the Silvia and rocky as a minimum for the grinder. Have fun.

thats my idea

SPEND once and be Happy

just ONE more question

what is the benefit of the doser over the doserless ?

TC

Hi Hung- dont bother with a doser Rocky....The doser is of really poor quality and sweeps badly too. Its not adjustable and IMHO, a waste of time....I wouldnt have a doser Rocky even if they were less expensive than the doserless version...

Chris

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0134393E0A163A33333030550 link=1257123884/13#13 date=1257200252
    Hi Hung- dont bother with a doser Rocky....The doser is of really poor quality and sweeps badly too. Its not adjustable and IMHO, a waste of time....I wouldnt have a doser Rocky even if they were less expensive than the doserless version...

Chris
    I have to agree... And it is not so simple to turn into a doser less....

FOR home or even a small busness NO... Unless at a very good $$$ and your happy to make significant mods.

Quote Originally Posted by 7C707974747D110 link=1257123884/6#6 date=1257132786
    if you go to jetblack you might spend a whole lot more they have lots and lots of shiny bling sitting on the bench all warmed up go have a look its worth it !!!
    Yes, Jetblack is a very dangerous place :P
    Im already planning my assault on the financial minefield that my wife will place in front of me when I ask for the money to buy a Vibiemme Dobomar Superlever. I firmly place the blame for my predicament at Charlies feet :D

thanks for the doser/non-doser advice guys!

Well, for what it is worth, the gagggia classic with a silvia steam wand mod, decent tamper, fresh coffee and not so fine burr grinder can make a great coffee.

Andy