Thread: brand new 6910 grouphead leak

cyv

brand new 6910 grouphead leak

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

Im in desperate need of help. Recently purchased the em6910 and am completely demoralized now after having a go at the machine. I dont have fresh beans with me now and as such have resorted to using whats left of my pre ground beans before buying freshly roasted ones. Ok so the 6910 came with two types of portafilers; one for freshly ground and one for supermarket stuff. I used the supermarket stuff one (double basket) because Im using my pre ground beans. Shockingly, when the pour started flowing, it spurted water out as well as the espresso. Now..I tried several ways, first to fill and tamp up to the line on the basket (which Im assuming I should follow) and the other time just to little bit of powder and under the line. The second attempt produced better flow with no spurts of water. Can anyone pleaseee tell me why is that happening? :(

A_M

Re: brand new 6910 grouphead leak

WRONG...

Double floor is for what they see as supermarket etc.. *A courser grind...

Go back to ya single floor and you should be OK... But still crap coffee.

Green = 3 years
    Brown beans = 3 weeks
    Ground = 30 sec to 3 min

Test...

Clean ya system... Do a SB group head flush with the rubber blind and remove ya shower screen and seal... CLEAN teh ststem

Then;

1: *Using a DOUBLE floor basket put it in with no grinds and it should lock in at about 6 or 5 ... *Use the manual button and run it a few times... *Note what ya gauge says..

2: *Now use teh single floor basket and make sure your dose and tamp as per your previous confirmation (5 cent piece test - you have done this havent you....) Note where the gauge gets to.....

Should be close to where you got in 1: above.. *Usually a *little above...

If under... Then too light on tamp or stale beans or too course... all *PEBGAH

If too far over... Over dosing, over tamping, too fine - All *PEBGAH

Let us know how you go.. *About an hrs work

cyv

Thanks for that.

But I literally just got the machine and took it out from the box today, do I still need to clean the system?

Also, when you say double basket, you mean the deeper basket yea? Are you suggestion I keep the double basket in the drawers and only use the single (shallower) one? And also, if Im using supermarket stuff, I should be using the basket with the single (pressurized basket) hole yea?

With my grinder as well, the em0480, I have set it to the finest (0) and after dosing and tamping on a double basket (unpressurized-although the beans were from supermarket), the flow came out way too quick and colour like water from the drain. What went wrong there?

Thanks.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 5D47483E0 link=1257322663/2#2 date=1257336496
    Thanks for that.

But I literally just got the machine and took it out from the box today, do I still need to clean the system?

Also, when you say double basket, you mean the deeper basket yea? Are you suggestion I keep the double basket in the drawers and only use the
    single (shallower) one? And also, if Im using supermarket stuff, I should be using the basket with the single (pressurized basket) hole yea?

With my grinder as well, the em0480, I have set it to the finest (0) and after dosing and tamping on a double basket (unpressurized-although the beans were from supermarket), the flow came out way too quick and colour like water from the drain. What went wrong there?

Thanks.
    all beans from supermarkets are stale and dry.....all if them, the brew water flows straight through em, none of those precious oils to hold the grinds together, do a search and you will find tonnes of info on this, it been talked about many times, this forum is the Mecca of coffeesnob type info, just have to have a look around, do some searches and enjoy ;)

A_M

[QUOTE=352F20560 link=1257322663/2#2 date=1257336496]Thanks for that.

But I literally just got the machine and took it out from the box today, do I still need to clean the system? *[quote]

No.. But your post did not imply first time user..

DO the SB training.... *

Do a search - follow this guide.. Part 4.. *http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257241858

All been asked and answered before.

Also, when you say double basket, you mean the deeper basket yea? Are you suggestion I keep the double basket in the drawers and only use the single (shallower) one? And also, if Im using supermarket stuff, I should be using the basket with the single (pressurized basket) hole yea?
    Terminology is getting in the way here...

Read teh manual.. *Ya have 4 baskets... *Two single floor and two double floor..

Two single shot and two larger double shot..

My call is to put ALL but the Double shot single floor away..

Supermarket beans.... WTF... spit cough splutter...

In addition what do you mean spurt of water ?? *From where ??? If around teh group head seal...... Do a search and do teh 5 cent piece test...

Then follow the instructions in my first reply and let us know.. Cutting corners will not do...

All the issues are PEBGAF... That is = USER... Sorry but it is true...... *And even if you rushed back and got ya money back and spent $5K on a tyop line machine... You would have the same problem..

Watch teh DVD... Do not ASSUME... And read the posts on CS as to the 6910.. Quit a few even in the last few days and the same answers as almost teh same questions...

cyv

Alright guys, Ive tried again but havent gotten results yet :(
    I cant use the grinder now as SB is sending me some spacers to fit in as I cannot get fine grind even at 0.

So I got some 7seeds grind today, roasted on the 4th of Nov and had to ask them to grind it for me because I cannot use the grinder just yet. So considering the grind is really fresh, beans were roasted on the 4th, I came home thinking Im gonna be getting really good crema, I still did not get any! Flow came out like a mouse tail, very fine pour but only black stuff came out with no crema at all! I dont think Ive tamped wrongly. Just wondering, how much grind do you 6910 users put into your double basket single floor? I dont think Im putting too much or too little. Any help would be very very much appreciated! Im close to throwing this machine out the door.

This machine is brand new by the way. Anybody in Melbourne willing to help?

Thanks heaps in advance

Ground coffee goes stale within minutes... So even though the roast date was recent, youre still using stale coffee.

As far as your dose is concerned, you should havE about 3mm between your tamped grinds and the rim of the basket. You should get a slight imprint of the shower head in your puck after youve pulled a shot.

How long do you let your machine warm up? When all the lights are lit up is not long enough... When the group handle spout is too hot to handle for more than 3 seconds is a better indicator of when its ready. This assumes you preheat your portafilter... which u should.

I use about 18g of coffee in the double basket which when tamped leaves about 1mm of the silver part of the supplied tamper above the top of the basket.
    Hope this makes sense and helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F353A4C0 link=1257322663/5#5 date=1257663031
    I cant use the grinder now as SB is sending me some spacers to fit in as I cannot get fine grind even at 0. *
    If you have only just bought it you should take it back and demand another one - it should be in working order and you should not have to mod it yourself!

Have you watched the Sunbeam DVD?

cyv

Yea Ive watched the DVD. Hmm...why do you ask though?

Yea its brand new..I figured its gonna take me ages to get it modded by them since Im gonna have to bring it back to Myer and then Myers probably gonna send it back to SB. So rather than the wait, I thought Id just get SB to send the spacers to me directly and Ill do it myself. Plus, the woman on the line from SB was being really bitchy so didnt wanna waste my time arguing.

Out of curiousity, the grind that should come out of the grinder should be as fine as those commercially used ones yeah? I know mine was very coarse even at 0, but Im measuring this against the grind fine-ness that I get at work. Its pretty coarse if I compare it to the ones at work.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 706A65130 link=1257322663/9#9 date=1257687290
    Yea Ive watched the DVD. Hmm...why do you ask though?

Yea its brand new..I figured its gonna take me ages to get it modded by them since Im gonna have to bring it back to Myer and then Myers probably gonna send it back to SB. So rather than the wait, I thought Id just get SB to send the spacers to me directly and Ill do it myself. Plus, the woman on the line from SB was being really bitchy so didnt wanna waste my time arguing.

Out of curiousity, the grind that should come out of the grinder should be as fine as those commercially used ones yeah? I know mine was very coarse even at 0, but Im measuring this against the grind fine-ness that I get at work. Its pretty coarse if I compare it to the ones at work.
    Yes and NO..

When set up correctly and the burrs seated correctly -

Some have issues with seating the top burr in the carrier etc and you can get it 180 out.

On my 3 units it was such that for the EM6910 about mid setting was OK... Down at about 3 or 5 was very fine and easy to over tamp and choke the machine... It would also choke the San Merino I had at the time.. 20 and above for plunger etc..

DONT USE

your just a begginer

making coffee isnt as easy as it looks,
    (just see what comes out of some coffee shops by some who call themselves baristas)

it takes lots of practise and patience

READ the manual FULLY

watch the video, more than once

dont blame the equipment if YOU dont know what you are doing

i would recomend that you do a [highlight]basic barista course [/highlight](class or 1 on 1) in melbourne, (lots of site sponsors do them) or do the sunbeam course

graham